Indie Rock Star Handbook (blog)

JailTime

• Members

This been posted yet? Now I understand why you cover guys do what you do.

Av club response:

Are you kidding? After factoring in rehearsal time, rehearsal studio rental, gas, set-up, break-down and playing time at the gigs; recording media to attract the clients; personal time learning new stuff before rehearsal and god knows what else I've forgotten, even two weddings/corporate gigs per month at 2400.00 a pop split five ways only gets me about 1000.00/ mo.

Cover guys are broke too.

• Members

Are you kidding? After factoring in rehearsal time, rehearsal studio rental, gas, set-up, break-down and playing time at the gigs; recording media to attract the clients; personal time learning new stuff before rehearsal and god knows what else I've forgotten, even two weddings/corporate gigs per month at 2400.00 a pop split five ways only gets me about 1000.00/ mo.

Cover guys are broke too.

Apologies - not meant to be a pissing match about who does/spends/earns what. Just an interesting article and humorous counter article. I welcome it from the standpoint that dreamers who play music need a dose of reality sometimes.

• Members

It seems like those guys spent
alot
on equipment. Who wants top line gear when you're lugging it by hand around a city, up and down stairs, on and off stages and dumping it in and out of cars, vans and taxis?

They have a PA as part of the equipment, that doesn't leave much for backline.

• Members

Spoiled little rich kids. I live in Brooklyn, and I gig/rehearse/perform here. They are spoiled little rich kids, end of story. They got as far as they did purely through money.

This is a personal pet peeve, because SO MANY "indie rockers" here in this moronic, idiotic, bull{censored} scene are actually just spoiled little rich kids who dress the part and have mommy and daddy pay for everything.

Man, I just hate this scene here. This week, it's Two Lights. Next week, it'll be some other contrived indie bull{censored} asshole who is having everything paid for by mommy and daddy.

/rant

• Members

Those guys in the blog aren't an "indie" band. They're taking every approach to go big-time in the most normal of ways. No kidding it's costly. Bands like Bleached are indie bands. They're only interested in progressing on their own abilities and touring on the cheap. Very big difference.

Archived