Your most obscure song that kills

Kramerguy

• Members

Even though I've submitted to being a live jukebox and refer to the DJ top 200 list, we ALL still want to pull that golden B-side out of the closet, and usually it's crickets or "meh" when were done playing ... but every once in a while, there's that unexpected song that just slays everyone, standing ovations if it's not danceable, or they all run out and pack the dance floor soon as they hear it...

Our biggest surprise was fade to black (metallica), everyone goes nuts over that solo at the end, apparently I really nail it to the wall and paint it...

I was thinking of trying out 'dead mans party', curious if anyone ever tried that one.

So what songs have been shockingly obscure (or just not seeming to be a good gig song) and successful for you all?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nothing like that in our setlist right now. Although my singer has been bugging me since she joined the band to do "Great Gig In The Sky". I'm planning on having the band work that up next week and just see what happens with it. If she nails the vocal, I would think that would be enough to carry the song in almost any gig situation, but... we'll see...

• Members

We do a rock version of Duran Duran's Rio. It surprises me, but that seems to be peoples' favorite song that we do.

Interesting! We were doing 'hungry like the wolf' and dropped it a few months ago, it never really got a response, and more times than once.. crickets. :(

Glad you are having success with that one.. must be regional

• Members

Interesting! We were doing 'hungry like the wolf' and dropped it a few months ago, it never really got a response, and more times than once.. crickets.
:(

I'm surprised by it. Our version doesn't sound much like theirs though.

• Members

Roxette - The Look. We took a chance on doing a rockish version of it years ago hoping to appeal to some "hey, I remember that tune" coolness. Went over huge and became a mainstay in our set. Chics dancing onstage every time.

Honorable mention - Accept, Balls to the Wall. Plugged it in as a last setter, just cause WE dug the tune. Again, people went nuts. Powerful live rock tune.

• Members

I'm pretty clueless about what is obscure & what isn't. Couple of years ago my buddy suggests we do some tune I'd never heard of called "Wagon Wheel." Who knew? Apparently everyone except me. Nearly all of the places I play are looking for "songs we know" so really obscure tunes don't make the list.

The full band does well-worn pop/classic rock. Most obscure tune (to younger audiences anyway) is probably Couldn't Get It Right by Climax Blues Band. The two times we've pulled that one out, it killed.

The duo: Our version of Dylan's Don't Think Twice always goes over well.

Solo: I usually get a good reaction from If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett.

• Members

I'm pretty clueless about what is obscure & what isn't.

After reading this thread, I am too.

Fade to Black? Mother? The Look? All songs that were HEAVILY rotated on the radio over the last 20 years. You couldn't go 2 minutes without hearing Mother on 7 different stations in the mid 90s...

• Members

Fade to Black? Mother? The Look? All songs that were HEAVILY rotated on the radio over the last 20 years. You couldn't go 2 minutes without hearing Mother on 7 different stations in the mid 90s...

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of not necessarily obscure, but not as likely to be as covered by other club bands.

• Members

I thought it was obvious, but "obscure" in the context of this thread was referring to songs that aren't typical of local bar/club bands and lists like the DJ top 200.

• Members

Interesting! We were doing 'hungry like the wolf' and dropped it a few months ago, it never really got a response, and more times than once.. crickets.
:(

We did a medley of Hungry Like The Wolf/ Rio and I swear it looked like a bomb exploded on the dance floor. EVERYONE scattered! It lasted about 4-5 shows and every time it was the same... so goodbye Duran duran for us.

I am not sure about obscure tunes with the full band but with my semi acoustic Trio we re-arrange some rap/r&b tunes that end up killing

"I Am The Hotstepper" and "I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee)" come to mind.

yeah I'm serious.

• Members

I thought it was obvious, but "obscure" in the context of this thread was referring to songs that aren't typical of local bar/club bands and lists like the DJ top 200.

Every band plays FTB around here. Mother is very common as well.

Ill give you the Roxette and Duran Duran though. :D

I spose it depends on the area, like so many other things in the cover band world...

• Members

We're not playing anything obscure or material that a million other bands haven't tried. But we do have a couple of 'surprise' songs that other bands can't or won't touch they we get a good crowd response from.

For year's we've played a 'Grease Medley' that has been a big hit for years. We have it locked in with Runaround Sue and some other oldies. Not really material that you'd expect a band who plays to an under 35 audience to connect with.

'Holiday Road' gets a pretty good reaction

'Hot, Hot, Hot," is not really a song you'd expect coming from a band covering RATM and JayZ. For us it's not just a song... it's a set piece.

[video=vimeo;23121277]

[video=vimeo;27140071]

• Members

I think the confusion is 'Fade to Black' and 'Mother' get more play with bar bands than half of that DJ200 list. I can point to 5-10 bands in my market who play those songs.... or easily would if someone remotely winked in their direction. Which is why many bar bands have a hard time lifting themselves beyond that scene.

• Members

Dragging the Line - Tommy James - huge crowd response and props from other area local musicians for bringing that one to the local scene.

Our reggae version of In the Air Tonight - has gotten us more gigs than anything for some dumb reason that we cant figure out.

Gary Wright's - Love is Alive kills. We do the Joe Cocker version.

We got a great response from The Cars - Moving in Stereo the couple of times that we played it. I dont hear anyone else around here doing that one.

I looked at the DJ top 200 this morning for the first time. We play only 5 of those listed. I was surprised tha Crazy Little Thing Called Love is on there. I don't particularly enjoy playing that one - but the other guys do.

• Members

I want to say "Black Betty" or Kid Rock's "Cowboy" but neither of those is obscure enough.

The most obscure song we do that kills is called "The Auctioneer Song" by Leroy Van Dyke.

It was a huge radio hit in the 50s(?) and Gwen does a killer version. We mod up a half step every verse and bump the tempo 8-15 bpm each chorus. Lots of tension by the time it's done. People (ages 8-50) that have heard her (us?) do it are sold by the song's end and it's become a staple of Gwen's shows.People ages 60 and above appreciate that we're playing something they know and like. We've met Leroy a few times (in Missouri) and he loves the version.

• Members

In that case, aside form 2-3 songs, it would be the entire song-list of both my main band and the side-project...

Then again, we've booked gigs doing ONLY a full set of Duran Duran songs...

• Members

The most "obscure" songs that kill on our list are the ones we were forced to re-arrange to work for our instrumentation (rock power trio with just guitar-bass-drums). I guess of those "Always Something There To Remind Me" is the biggest, which we do with a hard-rock feel like Butch Walker's version, but with the Naked Eyes version's arrangement. We also do versions of Gary Numan's "Cars" and Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Around (Like A Record)" that use guitar and bass to cop the synth parts (the second one sounds more like Dope's version from the American Psycho soundtrack, but it's a bit less heavy than that).

They're not obscure songs, just sort of out-of-the-ordinary takes on them.

Brian V.

• Members

I think the confusion is 'Fade to Black' and 'Mother' get more play with bar bands than half of that DJ200 list. I can point to 5-10 bands in my market who play those songs.... or easily would if someone remotely winked in their direction. Which is why many bar bands have a hard time lifting themselves beyond that scene.

hmm. I don't think any other coverbands around here to FTB, maybe mother, but we don't do that one anyways..

I realize they are not on teh top 200, but I guess what I was reaching for was the songs people dig, but don't THINK to ask for.. long forgotten treasures and the like? I dunno. We've tried quite a few and have mixed results, but few if any ever totally slay a crowd the way BEG or SWA does (or did)

• Members

The most "obscure" songs that kill on our list are the ones we were forced to re-arrange to work for our instrumentation (rock power trio with just guitar-bass-drums). I guess of those "Always Something There To Remind Me" is the biggest, which we do with a hard-rock feel like Butch Walker's version, but with the Naked Eyes version's arrangement. We also do versions of Gary Numan's "Cars" and Dead Or Alive's "You Spin Me Around (Like A Record)" that use guitar and bass to cop the synth parts (the second one sounds more like Dope's version from the American Psycho soundtrack, but it's a bit less heavy than that).

They're not obscure songs, just sort of out-of-the-ordinary takes on them.

Brian V.

this is what I'm looking for- You always get a good response from those songs?

Archived