Yet more Craigslist hilarity!

BlueStrat

• Members

FUNK Musicians Wanted!!!

Date: 2012-02-13, 1:36PM PST

Reply to: XXXXX@gmail.com [Errors when replying to ads?]

Funk Bassist and Drummer needed for INNOVATIVE band project. RedHot Chilli Peppers+Parliament+Santana+Eagles+Led Zeplin, I could continue!!

So if you are not FUNK seasoned, but ROCK or METAL grounded, it can still work out. I will be looking for a 3 part horn section as well. I have the connects to get gigs, And as a result of the last project I was a part of, there will be ALOT of people excited to see US on stage. My son will be on Guitar, WE WILL REHEARSE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!!!! The plan is to experiment with ALL or ANY genres of music, and have one hell of a sound and live performance to go along with it!!

So if you like bands like RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, Infectous Groove, The Roots, Rick James, Cream, The Beatles, and so on....

Then drop me an Email, and leave me a msg with a time to call and set up an audtion, which will be held out in the Sponkane Valley area.

SERIOUS PLAYERS APPLY ONLY!!!!! After we get some material together, we WILL BEGIN TO PLAY GIGS!!! So if you are not driven, or are just flat out LAZY, dont waste your, or my time.

Thanks.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: XXXXXXXXXX

This wore me out just reading it. I admire the guy's energy and intentions, but he seems to be all over the road. I can imagine a horn section wanting to play Beatles and The Eagles influenced metal funk! :freak: "Sponkane Valley" better watch out. :lol:

• Moderators

[ I admire the guy's energy and intentions, but he seems to be all over the road. I can imagine a horn section wanting to play Beatles and The Eagles influenced metal funk!

One of my craigslist peeves is "OMG SO ECLECTIC guy". Its good to draw from diverse influences, but really when people say stuff like "Looking to start a new project. Influences include everything from Norwegian Black Metal to flamenco to the Eagles to early Run DMC!" or whatever, it's a red flag to me. I think, at least to start with, it helps to have some stylistic focus.

• Members

It looks like the guy is just trying to find a drummer and bassist to support his son's guitar playing. The kid may be good or he could possibly suck. It could be a very good idea to investigate because having a go-getter father can be a great thing.

I was in a band where the lead singer's father was very active; he did all, or most of, the booking, collected cover charge at the door (we played one place where this was very lucrative), and always showed up, usually with other people, to the gigs and helped keep the party going.

• Members

I've seen worse, but phrases like "experiment" and "rehearse as often as possible" are going to turn off most of the serious players. Seasoned cover players, which is what it appears he's seeking, want to rehearse as little as possible and gig as soon as possible. As mentioned, he sounds kind of disorganized. Seeking funk but rock and metal is okay. Son in band is a red flag too. And how many times have you heard people say that can get gigs that actually can deliver on that?

I would think his ad is going to attract people that don't have a whole lot of experience.

• Members

Funk Bassist and Drummer needed for INNOVATIVE band project. RedHot Chilli Peppers+Parliament+Santana+Eagles+Led Zeplin, I could continue!!

So if you are not FUNK seasoned, but ROCK or METAL grounded, it can still work out. I will be looking for a 3 part horn section as well. I have the connects to get gigs, And as a result of the last project I was a part of, there will be ALOT of people excited to see US on stage. My son will be on Guitar, WE WILL REHEARSE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!!!! The plan is to experiment with ALL or ANY genres of music, and have one hell of a sound and live performance to go along with it!!

So if you like bands like RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, Infectous Groove, The Roots, Rick James, Cream, The Beatles, and so on....

Then drop me an Email, and leave me a msg with a time to call and set up an audtion, which will be held out in the Sponkane Valley area.

SERIOUS PLAYERS APPLY ONLY!!!!! After we get some material together, we WILL BEGIN TO PLAY GIGS!!! So if you are not driven, or are just flat out LAZY, dont waste your, or my time.

Thanks.

PostingID: XXXXXXXXXX

This wore me out just reading it. I admire the guy's energy and intentions, but he seems to be all over the road. I can imagine a horn section wanting to play Beatles and The Eagles influenced metal funk!
:freak:
"Sponkane Valley" better watch out.
:lol:

I bet he could have spent 2-3 more minutes on that ad, taken 20-30 words out, add nothing more, and when he posted it, he would have had people responding left & right.

As it is, i think he'll be lucky to get a single bite from anybody who's actually capable/appropriate for the gig. As already said, WAY too over the map. SURE, there's some funkier aspects to some songs from Cream, the Eagles and the Beatles, but nobody who is heavy into FUNK (with a capital F-U-N-K) is going to be thinking of those bands. The way the ad is written, it comes off as someone who has a minimal understanding of funk in the first place, which is fine...unless you say you are specifically looking for a FUNK bassist and drummer...

Sometimes less is more.

• Members

It looks like the guy is just trying to find a drummer and bassist to support his son's guitar playing. The kid may be good or he could possibly suck. It could be a very good idea to investigate because having a go-getter father can be a great thing.

I was in a band where the lead singer's father was very active; he did all, or most of, the booking, collected cover charge at the door (we played one place where this was very lucrative), and always showed up, usually with other people, to the gigs and helped keep the party going.

One of the bands I do sound and lights for regularly is like that. The singer's father manages all aspects of the band. For me it's great, I get to deal with a reasonable adult instead of the young kids. The only problem is that dear old dad is also clueless. Reasonable to work with, but clueless, so I do have to spend a lot of time educating him.

• Members

One of my craigslist peeves is "OMG SO ECLECTIC guy". Its good to draw from diverse influences, but really when people say stuff like "Looking to start a new project. Influences include everything from Norwegian Black Metal to flamenco to the Eagles to early Run DMC!" or whatever, it's a red flag to me. I think, at least to start with, it helps to have some stylistic focus.

+INFINITY couldn't agree more...as you said it's great to have really diverse influences and try to aim for something unique, but when it comes to guys like in the ad, I've found that they're just WAY too much all over the place and nothing will ever satisfy them because what they really want to sound like changes every 30 seconds.

• Members

idk man, i'd play in a band like that...if it was done right.

the question is, can it be done right and with this guy at the helm...

No.

Nothing would make me run away faster than an ad like that that is so all-over-the-place. Having a ton of influences is fine, by where's the focus that will create a BAND? Where's the INNOVATION he promises? The ability to rattle off a dozen wide-ranging popular bands isn't INNOVATION. That's scatterbrained. Or delusional.

Now, IF this guy said I need certain types of players in order to put together a band that will have a certain type of style and sound and we'll likely play songs from all sorts of genres and make them our own--THAT might be really cool. But there was nothing there to indicate this guy would have a clue on how to do that. Or what end result he even wants. He just wants to throw a bunch of stuff into a blender and see what comes out. That's never a good recipe.

• Members

No.

Nothing would make me run away faster than an ad like that that is so all-over-the-place. Having a ton of influences is fine, by where's the focus that will create a BAND? Where's the INNOVATION he promises? The ability to rattle off a dozen wide-ranging popular bands isn't INNOVATION. That's scatterbrained. Or delusional.

Now, IF this guy said I need certain types of players in order to put together a band that will have a certain type of style and sound and we'll likely play songs from all sorts of genres and make them our own--THAT might be really cool. But there was nothing there to indicate this guy would have a clue on how to do that. Or what end result he even wants. He just wants to throw a bunch of stuff into a blender and see what comes out. That's never a good recipe.

This is almost exactly what I was thinking when I first posted this ad.

• Members

If a cat near DC or Baltimore wrote a Craigslist ad wanting funk musicians and mentioned both Brass Construction and Mass Production I would be answering it.

All things considered, although I will play any kind of music with a working band one of the things I would really rather not play is an Eagles tune.

• Members

This one just came over the transom today. Pretty funny too.

Looking for a drummer (Spokane)

Date: 2012-02-15, 12:42PM PST

Reply to: xxxxxxxxxx@comm.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

We are looking for a drummer.

Our sound is somewhere between hard rock and punk rock, but not that.

You must be over 21

We have waived the IQ requirement.

email to setup an interview.

• Members

We are looking for a drummer.

Our sound is somewhere between hard rock and punk rock, but not that.

You must be over 21

We have waived the IQ requirement.

email to setup an interview.

I guess that they were having limited success on the MENSA forums . . . at least in the Spokane area. :wave: Mark C.

Archived