A Sad Craigslist Posting

ggm1960

• Members

We've all seen the stupid and funny CL adds but check this one out, pretty darn sad!

What would you do if this happened to you?

2008 Les Paul Supreme NEW - $2400 (Iowa City)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: 2012-02-22, 11:06AM CST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRICE JUST REDUCED FROM 2900.00 to 2400.00

Bought New from Sweetwater in 2008. This was my dream guitar.

Unfortunatley due to an accident w/ a table saw I will not be able to play the way this guitar deserves.

Its been out of the case 18 times Its virtually new in every aspect.

Serious inquires only

• Members

What would you do if this happened to you?

If I lost a finger or two, I'd switch back to keyboards and just concentrate on singing more. It would definitely suck not to be able to play guitar or bass guitar anymore (or teach students), but I would go on. My power trio days would definitely be over, though.

• Members

I might be playing devil's advocate but if he didn't cut something off he is asking WAY too much for a 4 year old guitar. Is it possible that is a story just to bring up the price of the instrument? $500 discount from new for a 4 year old guitar is pretty much wishful thinking. If he can't use it, he can't use it. Why so high? Why the sob story? I'm guessing (I'm probably WAY off base) the guitar is stolen and he is looking for some quick (fake) sympathy cash.

• Members

I might be playing devil's advocate but if he didn't cut something off he is asking WAY too much for a 4 year old guitar. Is it possible that is a story just to bring up the price of the instrument?

What I thought from the start.

• Members

Quite frankly this is the #1 reason I refuse to use any power tools that could even remotely have a possibility to hurt my fingers. My shop teacher in high school was missing two fingers and dismemberment is my worst fear (guitar or not!), so I just let the fear control me, and never place myself in the danger. I know I can't avoid all possibilities, but I don't need to flirt with it either. I will pay the guys at Home Depot to cut my wood, or hire a handyman if needed.

• Members

I might be playing devil's advocate but if he didn't cut something off he is asking WAY too much for a 4 year old guitar. Is it possible that is a story just to bring up the price of the instrument? $500 discount from new for a 4 year old guitar is pretty much wishful thinking. If he can't use it, he can't use it. Why so high? Why the sob story? I'm guessing (I'm probably WAY off base) the guitar is stolen and he is looking for some quick (fake) sympathy cash.

I'm sure it's probably a very nice guitar but yes, the price is too high for me. If I didn't already have my long time LP, my budget for a new/used one would never go above $2K.

I've not inquired on the ad, in fact, it was not even me who discovered it but a friend here at work who sent out the link to a few of us. Obviously I can't prove he's on the up and up but I tend to believe the story given that, although this isn't a terribly small urban area, it's no where near the population density of Chicago or Minneapolis and the musician community is somewhat close knit. It would be very difficult to try and openly sell a stolen guitar in this area unless perhaps it had been stolen from somewhere else in the country. Even then it would take a lot of go-nads to try and sell it on CL.

Archived