what side of the stage are you on and why

J.Paul

• Members

My pedalboards are wired for stage right because when I joined Gwen's group the bass player was already on stage left (bass players like to be near the high hat).

My boys Eddie, Neil, and Ace were stage left so that's where I wanna be

but Alex L was stage right and he doesn't suck....

lets see, Angus was....ugh...I guess he doesn't count

I really have no answer for this that makes sense but some of you might,

Why are you on the side that you're on?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Stage center for me. However, I like roaming around the whole stage while intros and instrumentals are going on. I feel like if I walk over towards the guitar player while he does his solo and vice versa for the steel player, it kinda draws the audiences attention over there. I also like when the guitar and bass players are wearing wireless and move around the stage a little bit to break things up. I notice from Gwen's video's that you do that during solos, either moving towards the center or moving over next to the bass player. It looks great visually and really lets the crowd focus on what's going on.

• Members

Just saw a description of the stage plot on a Soulive Video. Drums and keys face each other with guitar, et al in the middle - all in a straight line. It looks like the keys were on the wrong side, since traditionally they're always stage right (treble end closest to the audience.)

The worst is to set the keys up back next to the drums. It's really hard to hear, unless the monitor mix is just right.

• Members

9 times out of 10 I'm stage left. It's not through any sort of deliberate effort, it's usually just my rhythm guitarist setting his gear up stage right. The bassist goes back and forth from show to show. I usually prefer him stage right, rhythm guitarist prefers him stage left. :lol:

• Members

When I was playing bass and singing lead, I was center stage, with my rig just directly stage right of the drummer. I was wireless, so I was everywhere when I wasn't singing... Patrons loved it when I was sitting at the bar with them!

Playing rhythm guitar in my new band, I own stage right. Bass is directly stage left of the drums and the other guitar player isstage left on the outside.

• Members

My preference is to be set up on the right side of the stage - with my rig rotated slightly to the left. Most of the groups I work with are six pieces (bass, drums, keys, guitar, sax and a vocalist) - which means stage space if usually at a real premium. More often than not - we end up setting up something pretty close to this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]342761[/ATTACH]

• Members

Stage? You guys have actual stages to play on? :cry:

You probably get the big bucks too......more than $75 a night. :lol:

We have an area to set up in. Usually pushed as far off to the side as possible so as to not bother anybody while the 10 TVs hanging from the ceiling are always on with sports and news while you're playing.

That said, I take whatever room is leftover....which is usually enough to stand still in one place. I usually stand behind the drummer since he and the bassist sing (who runs sound on "area right". :facepalm::lol: )

407137_3215784604353_1558479118_2730211_

• Members

Usually stage right. The bass player and guitarist are stage left and I have the other side of the stage to myself next to the monitor mixer and the FOH snake. Sometimes we reverse the entire set up if the snake needs to be run from the other side of the stage.

Sometimes when we reverse the stage, the girls in the middle switch positions too; sometimes not. I have no idea why.

• Members

My pedalboards are wired for stage right because when I joined Gwen's group the bass player was already on stage left (
bass players like to be near the high hat).

My boys Eddie, Neil, and Ace were stage left so that's where I wanna be

but Alex L was stage right and he doesn't suck....

lets see, Angus was....ugh...I guess he doesn't count

I really have no answer for this that makes sense but some of you might,

Why are you on the side that you're on?

ummmm....not true. every bassist i've ever played with has ALWAYS played off of the ride cymbal.

• Members

The worst is to set the keys up back next to the drums. It's really hard to hear, unless the monitor mix is just right.

A band I played in for years was with the drummer and I both up in the back on a riser. I never really had any problem hearing stuff, but it was just one big loud rock mess back then anyway. :lol:

• Members

ummmm....not true. every bassist i've ever played with has ALWAYS played off of the ride cymbal.

OK

but you didn't answer the question.

What side of the stage are you on and why?

Your avatar gives me no indication of your instrument,

a caveman eating raw meat would indicate that you are in management or booking.

• Members

I'm pretty flexible. I usually ask the guitar player where she/he wants to be & also concede stage space to the drums (lol, they've got to lug them up there so I'm not being that easy on the drummer!).

I've been on SL, & SR, but haven't been particular.

Hell one time the stage was so tiny I was off the stage & in the audience, looking at the band play as I sat there & played as well! :p

• Members

I'm pretty flexible. I usually ask the guitar player where she/he wants to be & also concede stage space to the drums (lol, they've got to lug them up there so I'm not being that easy on the drummer!).

I've been on SL, & SR, but haven't been particular.

Hell one time the stage was so tiny I was off the stage &
in the audience
, looking at the band play as I sat there & played as well!
:p

I once played a set where I was so cluttered on the stage from all the backline that I fell off the stage when reaching for my footswitch. Luckily I managed to play it off as a deliberate jump.

Archived