Advice needed for Street Dance

• Members

Well, the bass player filling in for us last night said that his 5 piece (6 including the sound/lightman) got $1000 for a street dance in a different town, while another 4-piece band at the same street dance received... get this...a whopping $8000!!!! :eek: I couldn't believe that they only played for $1000 and that the other band got 8x that. They played first from 6-10, while the other band played from 10-2.

Just crazy how the money can be so different for groups. Again, like I said, perception. The other band wasn't 8x better than the first band, but some people certainly thought they were worth the money. Marketing, a catchy name, a push from a booking agency, perhaps bigger PA equipment and lights (hint hint)...all those things made their value appear higher.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You should have just rented them the PA and done sound, and made 500 lol. re read the thread mod. They have a past employment history from the way I read it

Actually, my former bandleader used to do the street dance there years ago. It was before I was ever in his band (the "glory days"). I played the bar many years ago in 2005 with that bandleader (on his way down), but I never played there before with my own band until two weeks ago and it has completely different owners and management now (they bought the bar from the other owner 3.5 years ago). So, is there a "past employment history"? It depends on how you look at it. Technically, I played the bar 3 times before in 2005 under different ownership as a bass player in someone else's band. I negotiated this particular gig with the new owner, who had never heard of me or my new band before, but greatly enjoyed us once we were there.

So, in this instance, my past history doesn't really factor into the negotiations.

• Members
Well, the bass player filling in for us last night said that his 5 piece (6 including the sound/lightman) got $1000 for a street dance in a different town, while another 4-piece band at the same street dance received... get this...a whopping $8000!!!!
:eek:
I couldn't believe that they only played for $1000 and that the other band got 8x that. They played first from 6-10, while the other band played from 10-2.

Just crazy how the money can be so different for groups. Again, like I said, perception. The other band wasn't 8x better than the first band, but some people certainly thought they were worth the money. Marketing, a catchy name, a push from a booking agency, perhaps bigger PA equipment and lights (hint hint)...all those things made their value appear higher.

we usually get $1000 for street dances. We have opened for a couple bands that got $5000-7000 for similar events, but they both draw tremendously and the gate charge is substantial.

• Members

I think I will ask for $1200. If they suggest $1000, we'll do it, but I'll have to buy another sub, some more power amps (already planned to do this), and just combine my PA with my cousin's stuff. It will look more impressive, be louder and we will still come out pretty well. Just hope the weather will be all right.

• Members
I think I will ask for $1200. If they suggest $1000, we'll do it, but I'll have to buy another sub, some more power amps (already planned to do this), and just combine my PA with my cousin's stuff. It will look more impressive, be louder and we will still come out pretty well. Just hope the weather will be all right.

aren't you going to have a rain/weather clause in the contract?

• Members

I will, but my concern is the equipment actually getting rained on. I'll have to buy some tarps I guess.

Tarps and If you are doing your own sound have windscreens for your mics. When we play N.Dakota the mosquitoes will eat you alive if there is no breeze. Be sure to advance the job and check out the power situation. The place we played had a power pole with regular wall sockets and a 14-50 range plug we could plug our distro into. 3 years ago we had 6 outside events one summer and were rained on 5 times. Once the gig was cancelled another one was moved indoors and 3 we played but had delays because of the weather. I had played outside at least 50 times before and the weathr had never been a problem.

• Members

That is a more reasonable solution to your concern. Way better to invest in your system than to spend money on a one shot deal, especially when it seems you think your gear needs beefin up.

• Members

Tarps and If you are doing your own sound have windscreens for your mics. When we play N.Dakota the mosquitoes will eat you alive if there is no breeze. Be sure to advance the job and check out the power situation. The place we played had a power pole with regular wall sockets and a 14-50 range plug we could plug our distro into. 3 years ago we had 6 outside events one summer and were rained on 5 times. Once the gig was cancelled another one was moved indoors and 3 we played but had delays because of the weather. I had played outside at least 50 times before and the weathr had never been a problem.

We are in the regular rotation for a outdoor market day gig down here. They hire two bands and put one at each end of the main city block. Two out of the last three have been iffy weather. Pulled all of them off. If it rains and they dont cancel prior to us showing up ,we get paid for rain outs.

• Members

Was not sure if you will have someone running sound for you out front, or if this means you will run sound from the stage? Not sure about your festival, but in my area, street dances like this often have the back-up location in a bar in case of rain. If you are providing your own PA stuff, the other posters are correct- be sure to arrange for plenty of power. Almost all of the town street dances I have worked have had a city electrician involved, so if you get the gig, be sure to ask if there is one involved. You can then ask him to provide enough outlets at the stage to suit your needs. Keep us posted on how this shakes out!

• Members

You may also want to start another thread when you get all the gear together either here or on the live sound forum about the best way to set it up. With only 2 yamaha club subs you will be screwed for any real kick in the low end. My advice would be to centercluster the subs and get your tops up high enough to shoot over the crowd. BTW if you do it on the live sound board don't mention 2000 people or you will being hearing how screwed you really are.;)

Archived