Advice needed for Street Dance

• Members

around here, the most popular street dance bands are the ones who play hi-energy rock and have enough PA to knock you in the chest at about 50'. That's what the crowd wants and those are the bands getting the $5-10K gigs. These are small towns (under 1000) that draw 2000-3000 to their dances.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
around here, the most popular street dance bands are the ones who play hi-energy rock and have enough PA to knock you in the chest at about 50'. That's what the crowd wants and those are the bands getting the $5-10K gigs. These are small towns (under 1000) that draw 2000-3000 to their dances.

What! are you saying a powered mixer and 2 speakers on a stick won't be enough.:lol::thu: I think TimKeys thinks that playing a street fair and a street dance are the same thing. The only thing they have in common are they take place outside. :lol:IME a band playing a street fair is basically background noise while vendors sell {censored}. People might sit their fat-ass down on a bench for a moment and listen before they go shopping for more homemade jewelry. A street dance is an event where the band is the main focus besides getting drunk and chasing tail.

• Members
What! are you saying a powered mixer and 2 speakers on a stick won't be enough.
:lol::thu:
I think TimKeys thinks that playing a street fair and a street dance are the same thing. The only thing they have in common are they take place outside. :lol:IME a band playing a street fair is basically background noise while vendors sell {censored}. People might sit their fat-ass down on a bench for a moment and listen before they go shopping for more homemade jewelry. A street dance is an event where the band is the main focus besides getting drunk and chasing tail.

Actually what i am thinking is that they heard a bar band and decided to hire them for the street dance. I would also guess that one of the three bars that are paying for this deal has heard the band and knows about what they charge. So I really doubt that there is going to be enough meat on the bone left for 500 bucks extra for a PA and soundman. I also think that they are going to limit them on DBs anyway and the deal can prolly be done quite nice on the gear they can scounge up between the band system and stuff they can get for free. so not being loud enough should not be an issue. As for the crowd. Its little town out in the middle of po dunk and pretty well the same people are going to be there as show up at the county fair or the cow pie festival. Its not going to be the second comming of woodstock. I think mod is getting way over excited about this deal ,, and wants to yet one more time to big deal people about his PA gear.

If they wanted a big thump your chest event band they would have approached them rather than the guy that has a good little bar band. So thats what I am thinking. If 7 strings hits them with 2 grand , they may balk and hire another band. If he is worried ,, rent another sub or somthing. This deal isnt rocket science. Its small town street dance. Most of those small town events are all pretty much the same. Seal the deal and go play it ,, and make sure you have a good set of ears out front to dial in your mix from the stage just like you always do. you will prolly sound better since its doing what you did to get the gig in the first place. How many DBs do you think you are going to be able to push 20ft in front of the stage before they turn you down?

• Members

Actually what i am thinking is that they heard a bar band and decided to hire them for the street dance. I would also guess that one of the three bars that are paying for this deal has heard the band and knows about what they charge. So I really doubt that there is going to be enough meat on the bone left for 500 bucks extra for a PA and soundman. I also think that they are going to limit them on DBs anyway and the deal can prolly be done quite nice on the gear they can scounge up between the band system and stuff they can get for free. so not being loud enough should not be an issue. As for the crowd. Its little town out in the middle of po dunk and pretty well the same people are going to be there as show up at the county fair or the cow pie festival. Its not going to be the second comming of woodstock. I think mod is getting way over excited about this deal ,, and wants to yet one more time to big deal people about his PA gear.

If they wanted a big thump your chest event band they would have approached them rather than the guy that has a good little bar band. So thats what I am thinking. If 7 strings hits them with 2 grand , they may balk and hire another band. If he is worried ,, rent another sub or somthing. This deal isnt rocket science. Its small town street dance. Most of those small town events are all pretty much the same. Seal the deal and go play it ,, and make sure you have a good set of ears out front to dial in your mix from the stage just like you always do. you will prolly sound better since its doing what you did to get the gig in the first place. How many DBs do you think you are going to be able to push 20ft in front of the stage before they turn you down?

Making alot of assumptions for someone who doesn't live there.:rolleyes: In case you missed it he said the cost is being covered by 3 bars and they have had 2000 people in the past. But I'm sure with all your years of experience playing street dances you have it figured out.:lol:

• Members
Making alot of assumptions for someone who doesn't live there.
:rolleyes:
In case you missed it he said the cost is being covered by 3 bars and they have had 2000 people in the past. But I'm sure with all your years of experience playing street dances you have it figured out.
:lol:

Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see how the thing shakes out. They know the band and I would guess know what that band or bands like it go for in the area. I would guess they are looking to fit it into a budget and will only be willing to pay a reasonable up charge for the gig. Not double or more , so they can put out 500 extra bucks on a sound system rental. Like i said its not the second comming of woodstock.

• Members

I seriously doubt they are looking to get us for $500 like they would in a bar setting. They know they have to pay more for street dances due to the time and hassle factor (weather, long setup and tear down times, lots of people to deal with, etc.). I'm also not trying to gouge them by asking for $2500-5000 like some established 5-8 piece band would. We're just a fun trio that plays good music.

Depending on what I can rent, I'm thinking $1600 is a fair price to charge. If they talk me down to $1500 or so, I can deal with that. Splitting the take only three ways will be a big payday for us, despite the hassles and time involved. I'll let everyone know if we get it or not.

• Members

Lots to consider here, and you are doing the right thing to research and try to advance this show properly. As a musician and sound tech who has done many shows like this, I'll throw my two cents in here. This potential show seems like a step up for your band, so if it were me, I would recommend hiring a qualified sound company to provide PA and do the sound for you. I don't think your PA is up to the task, even if run within its limits. A good-sized PA with a good tech will help make your band sound its best and allow you to relax and put on a good show. They should be able to provide a decent light show as well. Not to mention you will have full monitors for everyone to hear yourselves properly.

As to rest of your questions:

What should I expect to do to set things up?

If you hire sound, they will take care of most of it. Your band will likely need to arrive at least several hours early to set up and sound check.

How much should we charge?

That's something you'll need to figure out based on which bands have played there before and any info you can find out will help you. You're probably competing with other bands for this same show, so your quote should be competitive.

As to the rest, if the town has been doing this festival for several years, I'm sure they have things pretty much under control, so it will not be your job to worry about alternate locations in case of rain, or other details like that. I'm sure the town will have a 'weather clause' in the contract. It should say something about what happens if the event is cancelled early in the day before you arrive, or what happens if bad weather hits while you are there etc. You can certainly ask about that if you get the gig. Generally, if you show up and start playing and bad weather hits, you should be paid.

This seems like an opportunity to play a bigger event than you normally do, so that can help your band progress and get bigger shows in the future also, so the expense of hiring a good PA and tech is worth the cost IMO. If you get the gig, have fun, and don't 'overplay' or feel you need to blast out with stage volume. Let the PA do the work, have fun and enjoy the show! Don't forget to have friends or family members there with cameras to take plenty of pictures of you playing for the big crowd, so you can post them on your website or FB page etc. Good luck, and let us know how it all works out!

Great post. Thank you for taking the time to answer!

• Members

I seriously doubt they are looking to get us for $500 like they would in a bar setting. They know they have to pay more for street dances due to the time and hassle factor (weather, long setup and tear down times, lots of people to deal with, etc.). I'm also not trying to gouge them by asking for $2500-5000 like some established 5-8 piece band would. We're just a fun trio that plays good music.

Depending on what I can rent, I'm thinking $1600 is a fair price to charge. If they talk me down to $1500 or so, I can deal with that. Splitting the take only three ways will be a big payday for us, despite the hassles and time involved. I'll let everyone know if we get it or not.

Your price is more than reasonable. If you got $1600.00 and paid out half that to a sound company you would still make about $250.00 each to play for a huge crowd. Someone in the audience might decide to hire you for a wedding or some other event. We are not playing the 4th gig in N.dakota this year but we will be playing at a rodeo party 20 miles from there because someone heard at the streetdance last year.

• Members
Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see how the thing shakes out.
They know the band and I would guess know what that band or bands like it go for in the area.
I would guess they are looking to fit it into a budget and will only be willing to pay a reasonable up charge for the gig. Not double or more , so they can put out 500 extra bucks on a sound system rental. Like i said its not the second comming of woodstock.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the town where we got $1800.00 for the street dance. A little backstory, the women in charge owned a bar in the town. Three years before that she was the head bartender at a local place my band played at. We were the highest paid band at that bar at $800.00 for a weekend. When she opened her bar we played at the bars first anniversary party for $800.00 for the night. Two years later we got $1800.00 for the street dance. At most of the street dances I have played at they have sponsors who help donate money for these events. So it isn't like someone is having to pay the whole bill themselves. Maybe if you had ever played one you would know that.:idea:

• Members

I think they are expecting to get you guys for 900 to1000 bucks. Thats double your rate.

If you rent gear ,, you may well be lookin at spending half of that on the PA and walking away with bar gig pay. There is nothing wrong with that if you want to pump up the show ,, but I think its gonna be on your dime. They are bookin a bar band trio for a reason, and that reason is money. I am not making this post as a cut on your band at all. I am sure you guys have a decent band because they want to book you,, but they wont go three times your normal rate from my point of view. If they were concered about the PA they would have hired a sound company themselves. Have they been paying 1600 for a trio in past years?

• Members
Earlier in this thread I mentioned the town where we got $1800.00 for the street dance. A little backstory, the women in charge owned a bar in the town. Three years before that she was the head bartender at a local place my band played at. We were the highest paid band at that bar at $800.00 for a
weekend
. When she opened her bar we played at the bars first anniversary party for $800.00 for the night. Two years later we got $1800.00 for the street dance. At most of the street dances I have played at they have sponsors who help donate money for these events. So it isn't like someone is having to pay the whole bill themselves. Maybe if you had ever played one you would know that.
:idea:

Let review ,, she paid you 800 for a grand opening and 1600 for the street dance. Thats double the rate. You are not a three piece , you typically work for more than 800 up at the ranches. You have your own big pa. Mod your experience is apples and oranges compared to whats being discussed in this thread. I just think you guys have a lot of wishful thinking going on in this situation.

• Members

I think they are expecting to get you guys for 900 to1000 bucks. Thats double your rate.

If you rent gear ,, you may well be lookin at spending half of that on the PA and walking away with bar gig pay. There is nothing wrong with that if you want to pump up the show ,, but I think its gonna be on your dime. They are bookin a bar band trio for a reason, and that reason is money. I am not making this post as a cut on your band at all. I am sure you guys have a decent band because they want to book you,, but they wont go three times your normal rate from my point of view. If they were concered about the PA they would have hired a sound company themselves. Have they been paying 1600 for a trio in past years?

Well, they are used to paying four-piece bands $500 for bar gigs around here, although when I played with my trio last year for $450/night, the people hiring us would often tell us we were charging too little.

There is a well-established trio around here that does make that kind of money for weddings and street dances. We are actually making $1200 for a weekend for our out-of-town gig tonight and tomorrow night. The prices depend on the market, the budget of the bar and what they think we are worth. I called one bar that has new ownership and they only wanted to pay $300-400 for an out-of-town gig like one other trio did. I balked at that. I'll work for $375-400/night in town, but not out of town when gas prices are so outrageous.

It would be one thing if we were young, or sucked, but we have energy and experience on our side and our vocals are actually fairly decent. The $300/night trio I mentioned has a great guitarist, but little else. Their vocals are not very good and they can't seem to get a good sound out of their system either (muffled). My viewpoint is you get what you pay for.

It's all about perception. If you want to market yourself as a piss-poor band not worthy of the money, people will treat you like that. I'd rather work less gigs for more $$$ than being busy every weekend working for peanuts. Why not ask for more instead of less? The worst they can say is no, which they might say anyway.

Will they balk at $1600? They might. Or...they might just think "Great! We are used to paying $2500-3000 most of the time." This is what I'm thinking is the reason our New Year's Eve gig went so well. We played music they liked at that place, we sounded good, and being a trio, charging $1200 was more than reasonable to the $2000+ they were used to paying. It's a win-win for all involved.

With all that said, if they suggest $1200, I'll probably take it, but I'm not doing it for any lower than that, due to all the stress factors.

• Members

We would hire out for sound (before I dumped a bunch of money into my PA) and it came with a sound man and we paid about $600. I'd say it was worth it, they had everything needed including lights, everything for electrical connections; it was just great not to have to worry about that stuff and we could concentrate on playing.

• Members
Let review ,, she paid you 800 for a grand opening and
for the street dance. Thats double the rate. You are not a three piece , you typically work for more than 800 up at the ranches. You have your own big pa. Mod your experience is apples and oranges compared to whats being discussed in this thread. I just think you guys have a lot of wishful thinking going on in this situation.

At least get your facts straight. It was $1800.00. and not a grand opening.:wave: We did the street dance as a 4 piece. I ran sound from stage. The point I was trying to make was we asked for more money and delivered. Tim 7string has an opportunity to move up or he could take your advice and charge less, show up with an inadequate PA and next year someone else would get the gig.

• Members

Well, they are used to paying
four
-piece bands $500 for bar gigs around here, although when I played with my trio last year for $450/night, the people hiring us would often tell us we were charging too little.

There is a well-established trio around here that does make that kind of money for weddings and street dances. We are actually making $1200 for a weekend for our out-of-town gig tonight and tomorrow night. The prices depend on the market, the budget of the bar and what they think we are worth. I called one bar that has new ownership and they only wanted to pay $300-400 for an out-of-town gig like one other trio did. I balked at that. I'll work for $375-400/night in town, but not out of town when gas prices are so outrageous.

It would be one thing if we were young, or sucked, but we have energy and experience on our side and our vocals are actually fairly decent. The $300/night trio I mentioned has a great guitarist, but little else. Their vocals are not very good and they can't seem to get a good sound out of their system either (muffled). My viewpoint is you get what you pay for.

It's all about perception. If you want to market yourself as a piss-poor band not worthy of the money, people will treat you like that. I'd rather work less gigs for more $$$ than being busy every weekend working for peanuts. Why not ask for more instead of less? The worst they can say is no, which they might say anyway

Will they balk at $1600? They might. Or...they might just think "Great! We are used to paying $2500-3000 most of the time." This is what I'm thinking is the reason our New Year's Eve gig went so well. We played music they liked at that place, we sounded good, and being a trio, charging $1200 was more than reasonable to the $2000+ they were used to paying. It's a win-win for all involved.

With all that said, if they suggest $1200, I'll probably take it, but I'm not doing it for any lower than that, due to all the stress factors.

You are doing the right thing IMO.

• Members
At least get your facts straight. It was $1800.00. and not a grand opening.
:wave:
We did the street dance as a 4 piece. I ran sound from stage. The point I was trying to make was we asked for more money and delivered. Tim 7string has an opportunity to move up or he could take your advice and charge less, show up with an inadequate PA and next year someone else would get the gig.

I just want to see him get the gig. I think you may be setting him up for the fall. You also went in with your own PA. There is a degree of risk when you revamp the whole PA set up and go on cold with it on an important gig. Unknowns can be a real killer to bands. A few less DBs with a known system is less risky than trying to make a big impression with a sound guy you havent worked with before. As you know ,, those guys can kill you. I just think going for a triple bump is a little doubtful. Its not like they are dealing with strangers and its not like these bars dont know who what band they want to hire and why. Like i have said ,, time will tell how this shakes out. It should be interesting.

• Members

[quote name=TIMKEYS;45378485I just want to see him get the gigI think you may be setting him up for the fall. You also went in with your own PA. There is a degree of risk when you revamp the whole PA set up and go on cold with it on an important gig. Unknowns can be a real killer to bands. A few less DBs with a known system is less risky than trying to make a big impression with a sound guy you havent worked with before. As you know ' date=', those guys can kill you. I just think going for a triple bump is a little doubtful. Its not like they are dealing with strangers and its not like these bars dont know who what band they want to hire and why. Like i have said ,, time will tell how this shakes out. It should be interesting.

Well I would like to see him get the gig and then get asked back next year. If he shows up with no real PA/or lights people will probably think these guys suck compared to last years band. You can underbid a job also. If all the other bands are asking for 2 grand and he comes in with a real lowball price whoever in charge of hiring may think they suck without even hearing them. I don't know what the soundman situation is in his area but for $500-600.00 I could hire three different guys who have worked with national acts and know their {censored}. They are not some dumbasses hired by a bar to run the house PA for $100.00 a night.

• Members
Well I would like to see him get the gig and then get asked back next year. If he shows up with no real PA/or lights people will probably think these guys suck compared to last years band. You can underbid a job also. If all the other bands are asking for 2 grand and he comes in with a real lowball price whoever in charge of hiring may think they suck without even hearing them. I don't know what the soundman situation is in his area but for $500-600.00 I could hire three different guys who have worked with national acts and know their {censored}. They are not some dumbasses hired by a bar to run the house PA for $100.00 a night.

I also know that around here with street dance types events especially, the best chance of doing next year's street dance at town B or C is to put on a good overall show at town A this year.

• Members

Well I would like to see him get the gig and then get asked back next year.
If he shows up with no real
PA/or lights people will probably think these guys suck compared to last years band. You can underbid a job also. If all the other bands are asking for 2 grand and he comes in with a real lowball price whoever in charge of hiring may think they suck without even hearing them. I don't know what the soundman situation is in his area but for $500-600.00 I could hire three different guys who have worked with national acts and know their {censored}. They are not some dumbasses hired by a bar to run the house PA for $100.00 a night.

I guess I look at things a little different. Showing up with a couple good 15 in powered speakers with monitors, and a sub isnt showing up with no real PA. It is showing up with a smaller PA. A band can sound great outside with this kind of gear if they know what they are doing and know how to run their system. The volume may be down a few DBs , but its not going to be the deal breaker that showing up with a big system and blowing the hell out of things. Too loud will lose you more gigs than just a few Dbs less with an other wise solid mix and clean sound. Its way more about the talent of the band than the size of the PA.

• Members
I guess I look at things a little different. Showing up with a couple good 15 in powered speakers with monitors, and a sub isnt showing up with no real PA. It is showing up with a smaller PA. A band can sound great outside with this kind of gear if they know what they are doing and know how to run their system. The volume may be down a few DBs , but its not going to be the deal breaker that showing up with a big system and blowing the hell out of things. Too loud will lose you more gigs than just a few Dbs less with an other wise solid mix and clean sound. Its way more about the talent of the band than the size of the PA.

Whatever, One of the first rules for soundmen is bring enough rig for the gig. My band found that out the hard way. We were hired to play a Party put on by a local fraternity. I had played alot of frat parties in my younger days. It was usually held at the frat house maybe a 100 people. This time it was down at the fairgrounds. We showed up with 4 mackie 450s and 2 1501 subs. The frat party had 1700 people show up.:eek: You couldn't even hear the band more than 50 feet away. We played the same party two more times except we hired out sound and added it to our price.

• Members
Whatever, One of the first rules for soundmen is bring enough rig for the gig. My band found that out the hard way. We were hired to play a Party put on by a local fraternity. I had played alot of frat parties in my younger days. It was usually held at the frat house maybe a 100 people. This time it was down at the fairgrounds. We showed up with 4 mackie 450s and 2 1501 subs. The frat party had 1700 people show up.
:eek:
You couldn't even hear the band more than 50 feet away.
We played the same party two more times except we hired out sound and added it to our price.

But you did get hired back with the original system is the thing you fail to really consider. A big PA is nice , but its not a deal breaker for a tight band that knows how to sound good. So are you trying to tell us that it was silent at 50ft? Mod you know better than that. Now it prolly wont thump your chest at 50ft but its going to work and renting a big pa isnt going to be worth giving up half to a third of the pay over. Maybe the middle ground might be to negotiate the price for this little street dance with a double edged sword approach. One price if the band uses the system they had at the bar,, and an up charge if they go with Pro Sound and rental gear. Let the client make the call on that. That way you got your bases covered and they can decide what way they want to go. I have been around sales my whole life and there is always a way to make sure you make the sale. Shift the decision between a choice of two PA systems, not what band to hire. After thinking about it ,, thats the way I would go. I like decent gear ,, but I also focus on closing the sale. If they go with the smaller system and then decide it wasnt loud enough ,, the door is already open to use a sound company next year. That takes away the negative of having to pony up 500 bucks behind the curtain when the bidding process starts for the gig. How do you feel about that option?

• Members

But you did get hired back with the original system is the thing you fail to really consider
. A big PA is nice , but its not a deal breaker for a tight band that knows how to sound good. So are you trying to tell us that it was silent at 50ft? Mod you know better than that. Now it prolly wont thump your chest at 50ft but its going to work and renting a big pa isnt going to be worth giving up half to a third of the pay over. Maybe the middle ground might be to negotiate the price for this little street dance with a double edged sword approach. One price if the band uses the system they had at the bar,, and an up charge if they go with Pro Sound and rental gear. Let the client make the call on that. That way you got your bases covered and they can decide what way they want to go. I have been around sales my whole life and there is always a way to make sure you make the sale. Shift the decision between a choice of two PA systems, not what band to hire. After thinking about it ,, thats the way I would go. I like decent gear ,, but I also focus on closing the sale. If they go with the smaller system and then decide it wasnt loud enough ,, the door is already open to use a sound company next year. That takes away the negative of having to pony up 500 bucks behind the curtain when the bidding process starts for the gig. How do you feel about that option?

I didn't fail to consider it. We told the guys in charge we would hire out sound if we did it again. We charged them an extra $200.00 and payed IIRC $350.00 for a sound company. It was worth the extra money out of my pocket to not worry about the sound. You seam to think that Tim 7string is asking too much money. I don't. I think he is right in the ball park with what he is asking.

• Members

I didn't fail to consider it. We told the guys in charge we would hire out sound if we did it again. We charged them an extra $200.00 and payed IIRC $350.00 for a sound company. It was worth the extra money out of my pocket to not worry about the sound.
You seam to think that Tim 7string is asking too much money. I don't. I think he is right in the ball park with what he is asking.

I would not really know that, because I have not heard tims band. I do know that they got hired by these guys for 500 bucks. Thats a serious wrench in the works when it comes to price negotiations. So is being a three piece. You also have the fact that they may well be bidding agaist bands that already have a big PA system that wont cost them 500 out of pocket on the back side of the deal. you are looking at this deal from an emotional point of view influenced by the fact that you have a bigger pa ,, and the fact that going triple the price because its an outside gig is totally justified. Bars really dont think like this. He is going into the negotiations with those bars looking at them as a 500 dollar band.

This is going to be a much harder sales job than you can wrap your brain around I am afraid. I faced a deal like that when I sold my house. I had a customer who was approved for a loan of 1.2 million. I had his agent involved who was hell bent on him buying a more expensive house than mine. I closed that deal in spite of all the headwinds on my side of the table. Mod you may know pounding nails ,, and you may know PAs ,, but when it comes to sales , you only see your side of things ,, and thats not who is going to be writing the check. Like i have said ,, this is going to be an interesting situation to watch. we can both agree the goal is to make the sale and get a re book.

• Members

I would not really know that, because I have not heard tims band.
I do know that they got hired by these guys for 500 bucks
. Thats a serious wrench in the works when it comes to price negotiations. So is being a three piece. You also have the fact that they may well be bidding agaist bands that already have a big PA system that wont cost them 500 out of pocket on the back side of the deal. you are looking at this deal from an emotional point of view influenced by the fact that you have a bigger pa ,, and the fact that going triple the price because its an outside gig is totally justified. Bars really dont think like this. He is going into the negotiations with those bars looking at them as a 500 dollar band.

This is going to be a much harder sales job than you can wrap your brain around I am afraid. I faced a deal like that when I sold my house. I had a customer who was approved for a loan of 1.2 million. I had his agent involved who was hell bent on him buying a more expensive house than mine. I closed that deal in spite of all the headwinds on my side of the table. Mod you may know pounding nails ,, and you may know PAs ,, but when it comes to sales , you only see your side of things ,, and thats not who is going to be writing the check. Like i have said ,, this is going to be an interesting situation to watch. we can both agree the goal is to make the sale and get a re book.

Unless you read something that i didn't i never saw where the people in charge know what his band gets paid normally. Well I'm off to set up a big PA for our bar gig tonight. It pays $1200.00 of which my take will be $260.00. How much are you getting paid tonight.

• Members

Unless you read something that i didn't i never saw where the people in charge know what his band gets paid normally. Well I'm off to set up a big PA for our bar gig tonight. It pays $1200.00 of which my take will be $260.00. How much are you getting paid tonight.

You should have just rented them the PA and done sound, and made 500 lol. re read the thread mod. They have a past employment history from the way I read it

Archived