Advice needed for Street Dance

• Members

I have played street dances before in other bands, but I have never done that with my own band. The closest I came to that was playing a couple of outdoor gigs in the summer of 1994 on the drummer's land out in the country. The PA we had was woefully inadequate for the task (distorted, couldn't hear it from about 75' away).

My band has been offered a chance to do a street dance in a town about an hour away from us on July 3rd. The PA system I currently own is minimal and perfect for small bars, but not much else: two 15" main tops, one subwoofer, a QSC GX-3 (powers the mains and sub), two monitors, powered head powers the monitors. My cousin that plays bass with us now also owns some lights and another small PA system (but no subs).

I know a guy that would rent his equipment for about $400, maybe $500 if I asked him to run it as well. It would be perfect for the job (lots of subs, tops, large board, etc.). He has a lot of experience playing loud, hard rock in his own band. We are more of a rock/pop/country (variety) band.

So, advice is needed on the following:

What should I expect to do to set things up? Having never done this before, I don't know if I need to take off an entire day from work in order to help get things setup. A flatbed trailer will be provided, but that's all I know. No idea about where to hook up power or anything else I need to know.

How much should we charge? Since the PA provider will be asking for a good amount of money, should we do likewise? Does $2000 sound too high (three bars will combine forces to pay for the street dance) or would $1600 be more reasonable? The town is a small town (less than 1500 people).

Lights will need to be rented or purchased as well I am sure. Any idea how many would be ideal?

Will tarps be needed in case it rains?

Is it up to me as the bandleader to make sure there is a backup plan (if it rains, holding it in an indoor location)?

Should I make a contract stating that if it hails, we won't play but we will get paid anyway? This happened to my small town when the local restaurant owner hired a band from Fargo for our centennial. We had a freak hailstorm for a few hours. It was over by around 10:00-10:30 pm, but they already packed up their gear and refused to play, but got paid anyway. Is this ideal or legal?

If it seems like it's too much trouble, should we just not bother? I am new to coordinating such a task and I wouldn't want us to fall flat on our faces by doing it all wrong. Might be out of our league here.

Any other advice you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Have you priced out what a sound company would charge you? For what you are going to pay your friend I could hire someone locally with a really nice PA and lights that does sound all the time. Just because your buddy has alot of PA doesn't mean it will do the job. It could be all junk. A sound provider should also have a distro which you will need to get adequate power. The last time we played a streetdance an hour away from home we charged about $1800.00 IIRC. We were using our own rig and I ran sound from stage. We had six subs and 4 three-way tops.

• Members

The secret to playing outside with small gear is not getting sucked into turning it up too much and over driving things. You can play outside with your rig with this gig but you just need to stay within the limits of your gear. Since the town only has 1500 people ,, wont wont be required to have danceable volumes out that far. You will find that most people dancing will be up close to the stage and the rest will be away ,, just listening and talking. We play outside all the time on a small system. remember its not a concert with 10 thousand people. Its a street dance for a couple hundred dancers. I would just go play the thing and save the rental. You make more friends with the volume under control than you will with it way too loud. You know your system , just run with it.

• Members

The secret to playing outside with small gear is not getting sucked into turning it up too much and over driving things. You can play outside with your rig with this gig but you just need to stay within the limits of your gear. Since the town only has 1500 people ,, wont wont be required to have danceable volumes out that far. You will find that most people dancing will be up close to the stage and the rest will be away ,, just listening and talking. We play outside all the time on a small system. remember its not a concert with 10 thousand people. Its a street dance for a couple hundred dancers. I would just go play the thing and save the rental. You make more friends with the volume under control than you will with it way too loud. You know your system , just run with it.

Wrong answer.:facepalm: The town I mentioned in my above post also has less than 1500 people. The year before we played they hired a local group for $300.00. They showed up with {censored} on a stick and sounded like it. The next year they hired us for 6 times the price and have wanted us back for this event the last 2 years.

• Members

Wrong answer.
:facepalm:
The town I mentioned in my above post also has less than 1500 people. The year before we played they hired a local group for $300.00. They showed up with {censored} on a stick and sounded like it. The next year they hired us for 6 times the price and have wanted us back for this event the last 2 years.

Mod did you bother the read the post. The mistake most make and I am sure the 3 hundred dollar band made was over drivin the piss out of their system and making it sound like {censored}. You have to work within what your system will handle and keep things clean and crisp. If you have decent smaller gear and work within the limits , it can and does sound good outside. Will it be as loud as a bigger system? no. can it sound good ,, the answer is yes. People can also make a system like yours sound like {censored} outside too, if they over drive the thing and push it past the point of sounding clean and crisp. I just presented an option if tim didnt want to get involved with renting a system. This place down here runs on outdoor gigs and for the most part is all full time pros. Its not the size of the pa as much as it is the way its being run. Your system really is not that big either when you compare it to the typical concert stage. :idea:

• Members

Mod did you bother the read the post.
The mistake most make and I am sure the 3 hundred dollar band made
was over drivin the piss out of their system and making it sound like {censored}. You have to work within what your system will handle and keep things clean and crisp. If you have decent smaller gear and work within the limits , it can and does sound good outside. Will it be as loud as a bigger system? no. can it sound good ,, the answer is yes. People can also make a system like yours sound like {censored} outside too, if they over drive the thing and push it past the point of sounding clean and crisp. I just presented an option if tim didnt want to get involved with renting a system. This place down here runs on outdoor gigs and for the most part is all full time pros. Its not the size of the pa as much as it is the way its being run.
Your system really is not that big either when you compare it to the typical concert stage.
:idea:

The mistake they made was not bringing enough rig for the gig. You're right my PA starts to run out of gas above about 600-700 people. If we are playing for more than that we would charge more and hire a sound company.

• Members

The mistake they made was not bringing enough rig for the gig. You're right my PA starts to run out of gas above about 600-700 people. If we are playing for more than that we would charge more and hire a sound company.

Mod they were a 300 dollar band and they showed up with a small system and made the mistake of turning it up to the point of distortion. Loud is relative and really not the issue. The issue is taking a PA and driving the thing into distortion. I understand you have a decent PA and a decent band. A decent band with a smaller pa can pull off a successful outdoor show if they know how to work within the limits of their gear.

Every time the subject comes around to PA's, you seem to get sucked into running in and telling people that their PA gear is {censored} and you start braggin up your one step up from {censored} on a stick system. Its cool if thats what you want to do ,, but you would be better served if you gave people tips on how to do more with what they have and still sound good. :idea:

• Members

Since the town only has 1500 people ,, wont wont be required to have danceable volumes out that far. You will find that most people dancing will be up close to the stage and the rest will be away ,, just listening and talking. We play outside all the time on a small system. remember its not a concert with 10 thousand people. Its a street dance for a couple hundred dancers.

Actually, a lot of people that moved away from town and people from other towns usually come to this street dance. It's a pretty big event. My old bandleader used to often play that particular annual street dance years ago. From what he and the bar owner was telling me, I would say at least 2000 people show up for it every year.

• Members

Actually, a lot of people that moved away from town and people from other towns usually come to this street dance. It's a pretty big event. My old bandleader used to often play that particular annual street dance years ago. From what he and the bar owner was telling me, I would say at least 2000 people show up for it every year.

are all 2000 up front at the band dancing or is it like the typical deal where you have a couple hundred dancing and the rest just hanging out listening to the band and chewing the fat. How big an area do you really think you will need dance volume levels for. This is the stuff you need to look at. Whatever you do ,, dont over drive your gear ,, big or little , it will sound like crap. Playing outdoors is deceptive. Its not like you will ever fill the room so to speak.

• Members

All I know is that whenever I have seen bands at street dances, the ones with enough of a PA do well, while the ones with a tiny system (i.e. mine) struggle to be heard. I want our first impression as a band doing a street dance to be not only a good one, but an exceptional one. Taking the low road and hoping for the best with a small system seems like a formula for failure to me.

We could possibly just rent a couple more subwoofers, another power amp or two, a crossover and be fine. We are only a three-piece and would do fine with the inputs we have. I also have a submixer with an additional 3 XLR/3 stereo line (9 total) inputs. I just don't want to get in over my head.

If a 'distro' (is that a distribution box, where the power converts to 220 instead of 110?) is needed, I'm sure I'm going to be in over my head as I have never used one before. I was in a band in 1998-1999 that had one. Right before we were supposed to start playing inside a bar, they hooked it up wrong, got a surge, blew out the power amps for the monitors and the subs and we had to limp along with only mains (my vocal harmonies were too loud and off-key, because I couldn't hear myself...got proof of it on videotape, ouch). I think we would have been better off without that route. It could have been just user error too (that band had some guys that did drugs in it). I'm thinking it's probably a good idea for outdoor gigs, though.

Again, I have little knowledge here.

• Members

All I know is that whenever I have seen bands at street dances, the ones with enough of a PA do well, while the ones with a tiny system (i.e. mine) struggle to be heard. I want our first impression as a band doing a street dance to be not only a good one, but an exceptional one. Taking the low road and hoping for the best with a small system seems like a formula for failure to me.

We could possibly just rent a couple more subwoofers, another power amp or two, a crossover and be fine. We are only a three-piece and would do fine with the inputs we have. I also have a submixer with an additional 3 XLR/3 stereo line (9 total) inputs. I just don't want to get in over my head.

If a 'distro' (is that a distribution box, where the power converts to 220 instead of 110?) is needed, I'm sure I'm going to be in over my head as I have never used one before. I was in a band in 1998-1999 that had one. Right before we were supposed to start playing inside a bar, they hooked it up wrong, got a surge, blew out the power amps for the monitors and the subs and we had to limp along with only mains (my vocal harmonies were too loud and off-key, because I couldn't hear myself...got proof of it on videotape, ouch). I think we would have been better off without that route. It could have been just user error too (that band had some guys that did drugs in it). I'm thinking it's probably a good idea for outdoor gigs, though.

Again, I have little knowledge here.

Most guys with small systems tend to get outside and proceed to think they need to dime the thing to be heard. Then they sound like {censored}. I would guess you will be provided a drop box for power. Volume is not as important as being clean. Use this rule no matter what size system you end up using for this gig. We play outside a good deal and are in a regular rotation for a street fair. The way we handle it is to just run at a good volume for our gear. They just keep hiring us back so we must be doing somthing right. My guess is that we have a clean sound and a decent band.

The problems with PAs and volume is that you wont get that much more clean volume by upping the size of the system to a bigger bar system and thats pretty well all you are going to be able to afford to rent. To really be loud outside it takes a megga system like you would hear at a big league concert show. They also want to hire you because of who you are as a band and not what kind of PA you have. If you want to rent a step up from where you are gear ,, thats cool ,, but I would not expect it to make a massive increase in volume. You are in what I call a very big room and its still going to be real easy to drive that rental PA into distortion. We played the street fair last weekend. They hire two bands and put them at each end of a city block with the bands faceing across the street and not at each other. The guys with the big pa sounded fuzzy and distorted ,, we were clean with a much smaller rig. We have way more experience playing outside. bigger is better typically but you still have to know how to use it. Bands are more about how tight they are outside than how loud they are typically.

• Members

Mod they were a 300 dollar band and they showed up with a small system and made the mistake of turning it up to the point of distortion. Loud is relative and really not the issue. The issue is taking a PA and driving the thing into distortion. I understand you have a decent PA and a decent band. A decent band with a smaller pa can pull off a successful outdoor show if they know how to work within the limits of their gear.

Every time the subject comes around to PA's, you seem to get sucked into running in and telling people that their PA gear is {censored} and you start braggin up your one step up from {censored} on a stick system. Its cool if thats what you want to do ,, but you would be better served if you gave people tips on how to do more with what they have and still sound good.

So instead of doing the smart thing and hiring out sound they low-balled the gig and failed. If you are stupid enough to think that your little mackie PA could cover 2000 people then you should just post on the political party forum where your ignorance at least is good for a laugh. It is obvious that when it comes to sound you are completely clueless.

• Members

Tim 7 string, The best advice I can give you is try to find a sound company to do the job. If you can just show up and play without all the headaches it will be alot more fun. A sound company with a clue will advance the gig and know whether or not they need a distro. If you sound good you might get hired back again next year. We have played a street dance In N. Dakota for the last 4 years around the 4th of July. We will not be doing it this year because it falls in the middle of the week. We will be playing for a rodeo in the same area in early June.

• Members

So instead of doing the smart thing and hiring out sound they low-balled the gig and failed. If you are stupid enough to think that your little mackie PA could cover 2000 people then you should just post on the political party forum where your ignorance at least is good for a laugh. It is obvious that when it comes to sound you are completely clueless.

Mod do a little study on the physics of sound and also do a little reflection on how the typical outdoor community event with a band actually works. the louder you play ,, the farther you will drive people away from the band stand. Things do hit dimishing returns on volume. DBs are not linear when it comes to speaker power. With the typical street event crowd of 2000 people ,, they will fall into three catagories. The ones up front dancing which will be a couple three hundred. the ones farther back just hangin out and shootin the {censored} prolly 400 ,, and the ones that are not really paying any attention to you at all making up the rest. Bars are exactly the same ,, you got the up front people and you have the ones in the back. Now this isnt to say that a nice big pa isnt a good thing to have ,, but its more about how clean your sound is rather than how big your system is. The number one complaint of people about bands are that they are too loud. Even outside. The number one fuk up of people with pa gear is overdriving the hell out of things and hauling way too much gear to a gig and ending up sounding like 50 pounds of {censored} in a 20 pound bag. You have a nicer pa than we do ,, but dont kid yourself into thinking it the thing that makes your sound. Tight makes your sound in bands not volume. If you are pushing less volume and tight ,, they will just dance closer to the stage. Those people in the back really dont give a rats ass about the band typically anyway.. you are just background music that they end up shouting over to talk. thats the bottom line on that {censored}.

• Members

Sounds like you might be taking on the role of two or three people for this event, especially if it gets to the point where you have 2000 or more people in the vicinity. Jack up the price or make them hire a sound company and appoint an event coordinator. There must be someone in that town that understands electrical current and power. Be sure he's in the loop so there's none of that hokey ass cobbled together crap some of these back woods folks will try to pull on you. You need a good generator or your own circuit breaker installed at a nearby electrician approved circuit box. Even in a small town like that this should be provided and ready when you show up, after all your real job is to be the band.

• Members

I have played street dances before in other bands, but I have never done that with my own band. The closest I came to that was playing a couple of outdoor gigs in the summer of 1994 on the drummer's land out in the country. The PA we had was woefully inadequate for the task (distorted, couldn't hear it from about 75' away).

My band has been offered a chance to do a street dance in a town about an hour away from us on July 3rd. The PA system I currently own is minimal and perfect for small bars, but not much else: two 15" main tops, one subwoofer, a QSC GX-3 (powers the mains and sub), two monitors, powered head powers the monitors. My cousin that plays bass with us now also owns some lights and another small PA system (but no subs).

I know a guy that would rent his equipment for about $400, maybe $500 if I asked him to run it as well. It would be perfect for the job (lots of subs, tops, large board, etc.). He has a lot of experience playing loud, hard rock in his own band. We are more of a rock/pop/country (variety) band.

So, advice is needed on the following:

What should I expect to do to set things up?
Having never done this before, I don't know if I need to take off an entire day from work in order to help get things setup. A flatbed trailer will be provided, but that's all I know. No idea about where to hook up power or anything else I need to know.

How much should we charge?
Since the PA provider will be asking for a good amount of money, should we do likewise? Does $2000 sound too high (three bars will combine forces to pay for the street dance) or would $1600 be more reasonable? The town is a small town (less than 1500 people).

Lights will need to be rented or purchased as well I am sure.
Any idea how many would be ideal?

Will tarps be needed in case it rains?

Is it up to me as the bandleader to make sure there is a backup plan
(if it rains, holding it in an indoor location)?

Should I make a contract stating that if it hails, we won't play but we will get paid anyway?
This happened to my small town when the local restaurant owner hired a band from Fargo for our centennial. We had a freak hailstorm for a few hours. It was over by around 10:00-10:30 pm, but they already packed up their gear and refused to play, but got paid anyway. Is this ideal or legal?

If it seems like it's too much trouble, should we just not bother?
I am new to coordinating such a task and I wouldn't want us to fall flat on our faces by doing it all wrong. Might be out of our league here.

Any other advice you can think of would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lots to consider here, and you are doing the right thing to research and try to advance this show properly. As a musician and sound tech who has done many shows like this, I'll throw my two cents in here. This potential show seems like a step up for your band, so if it were me, I would recommend hiring a qualified sound company to provide PA and do the sound for you. I don't think your PA is up to the task, even if run within its limits. A good-sized PA with a good tech will help make your band sound its best and allow you to relax and put on a good show. They should be able to provide a decent light show as well. Not to mention you will have full monitors for everyone to hear yourselves properly.

As to rest of your questions:

If you hire sound, they will take care of most of it. Your band will likely need to arrive at least several hours early to set up and sound check.

That's something you'll need to figure out based on which bands have played there before and any info you can find out will help you. You're probably competing with other bands for this same show, so your quote should be competitive.

As to the rest, if the town has been doing this festival for several years, I'm sure they have things pretty much under control, so it will not be your job to worry about alternate locations in case of rain, or other details like that. I'm sure the town will have a 'weather clause' in the contract. It should say something about what happens if the event is cancelled early in the day before you arrive, or what happens if bad weather hits while you are there etc. You can certainly ask about that if you get the gig. Generally, if you show up and start playing and bad weather hits, you should be paid.

This seems like an opportunity to play a bigger event than you normally do, so that can help your band progress and get bigger shows in the future also, so the expense of hiring a good PA and tech is worth the cost IMO. If you get the gig, have fun, and don't 'overplay' or feel you need to blast out with stage volume. Let the PA do the work, have fun and enjoy the show! Don't forget to have friends or family members there with cameras to take plenty of pictures of you playing for the big crowd, so you can post them on your website or FB page etc. Good luck, and let us know how it all works out!

• Members

Mod do a little study on the physics of sound and also do a little reflection on how the typical outdoor community event with a band actually works. the louder you play ,, the farther you will drive people away from the band stand. Things do hit dimishing returns on volume. DBs are not linear when it comes to speaker power. With the typical street event crowd of 2000 people ,, they will fall into three catagories. The ones up front dancing which will be a couple three hundred. the ones farther back just hangin out and shootin the {censored} prolly 400 ,, and the ones that are not really paying any attention to you at all making up the rest. Bars are exactly the same ,, you got the up front people and you have the ones in the back. Now this isnt to say that a nice big pa isnt a good thing to have ,, but its more about how clean your sound is rather than how big your system is. The number one complaint of people about bands are that they are too loud. Even outside. The number one fuk up of people with pa gear is overdriving the hell out of things and hauling way too much gear to a gig and ending up sounding like 50 pounds of {censored} in a 20 pound bag. You have a nicer pa than we do ,, but dont kid yourself into thinking it the thing that makes your sound. Tight makes your sound in bands not volume. If you are pushing less volume and tight ,, they will just dance closer to the stage. Those people in the back really dont give a rats ass about the band typically anyway.. you are just background music that they end up shouting over to talk. thats the bottom line on that {censored}.

Yeah your the one to tell me about the physics of sound.:facepalm: Are you the soundman for your band? Have you ever ran sound for other bands? I didn't think so. I have been doing the band thing for 35 years now. I think i sort of have it figured out.:idea:

• Members

Lots to consider here, and you are doing the right thing to research and try to advance this show properly. As a musician and sound tech who has done many shows like this, I'll throw my two cents in here. This potential show seems like a step up for your band, so if it were me, I would recommend hiring a qualified sound company to provide PA and do the sound for you. I don't think your PA is up to the task, even if run within its limits. A good-sized PA with a good tech will help make your band sound its best and allow you to relax and put on a good show. They should be able to provide a decent light show as well. Not to mention you will have full monitors for everyone to hear yourselves properly.

As to rest of your questions:

If you hire sound, they will take care of most of it. Your band will likely need to arrive at least several hours early to set up and sound check.

That's something you'll need to figure out based on which bands have played there before and any info you can find out will help you. You're probably competing with other bands for this same show, so your quote should be competitive.

As to the rest, if the town has been doing this festival for several years, I'm sure they have things pretty much under control, so it will not be your job to worry about alternate locations in case of rain, or other details like that. I'm sure the town will have a 'weather clause' in the contract. It should say something about what happens if the event is cancelled early in the day before you arrive, or what happens if bad weather hits while you are there etc. You can certainly ask about that if you get the gig. Generally, if you show up and start playing and bad weather hits, you should be paid.

This seems like an opportunity to play a bigger event than you normally do, so that can help your band progress and get bigger shows in the future also, so the expense of hiring a good PA and tech is worth the cost IMO. If you get the gig, have fun, and don't 'overplay' or feel you need to blast out with stage volume. Let the PA do the work, have fun and enjoy the show! Don't forget to have friends or family members there with cameras to take plenty of pictures of you playing for the big crowd, so you can post them on your website or FB page etc. Good luck, and let us know how it all works out!

This^

• Members

Yeah your the one to tell me about the physics of sound.
:facepalm:
Are you the soundman for your band? Have you ever ran sound for other bands? I didn't think so. I have been doing the band thing for 35 years now. I think i sort of have it figured out.

Whatever dude ,,, most of what you run is your mouth trying to big deal people about your PA gear. I fully understand you have your lifes savings tied up in it ,, but honestly its not that big a system.

• Members

Whatever dude ,,, most of what you run is your mouth trying to big deal people about your PA gear. I fully understand you have your lifes savings tied up in it ,, but honestly its not that big a system.

Well whatever dude, It seams like the only idiot saying to show up with not enough rig for the gig in this thread is you. Maybe that works for your geriatric band since you are mostly background noise while people are eating.

• Members

Well whatever dude, It seams like the only idiot saying to show up with not enough rig for the gig in this thread is you. Maybe that works for your geriatric band since you are mostly background noise while people are eating.

Maybe we just play smarter and not louder. Its easier on the backs.

• Members
Tim 7 string, The best advice I can give you is try to find a sound company to do the job. If you can just show up and play without all the headaches it will be alot more fun. A sound company with a clue will advance the gig and know whether or not they need a distro. If you sound good you might get hired back again next year. We have played a street dance In N. Dakota for the last 4 years around the 4th of July. We will not be doing it this year because it falls in the middle of the week. We will be playing for a rodeo in the same area in early June.

around here, $500-600 will get you a pretty decent rig (sound and lights) and they set it all up and run it. I'm talking about maybe a 15K watt system. That would certainly be the best option if you don't have the gear and aren't planning on needing it very often. We do a handful of street dance/small festivals every summer and have enough gear for maybe 1000 people.

Archived