Sure thing Songs for new cover band. Need Advice ASAP

JFrizzle

• Members

Okay. Putting together a cover band. I'm new to lead vocals so in order to get this band up and going quick I need all the songs were all sick of to get the audience involved (+ to great expand my vocal abilities). We are trying to keep our first batch of songs to crowd pleasers most everyone knows including those musicians are sick of. While I have no desire to STAY a generic cover band but I want to get it up and rolling as fast as possible for various reasons. So, let me know if any of these songs are successful/fail for you.

With our 3 members 1 likes 70s, I like 80s, the other 90s so we should have reasonable versatility. Also the other guitarist can sing and is female so we can cover about anything.

Going to try and adapt a batch of Dance/Club songs week after next, see list at bottom.

Black Magic Woman

Mustang Sally

Sultans of Swing

Satisfaction

Thrill is Gone

Talk Dirty to Me

American Band

Cat Scratch Fever

Just What I needed

Hotel California

Santeria

Sharp Dressed Man

Low-Rider

Kickstart My Heart

Higher Ground

House of the Rising Sun

Free- Alright Now

I Love Rock and Roll

Should I stay or go

Joan Jett - I hate myself for loving you.

Queen - Crazy Thing Called Love

Suffragette City

20th Century Boy

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Meat Puppets - Backwater

SuperDrag - Sucked Out

STP - Vasoline

Queens of the Stone Age - Feel Good Hit of the Summer

Sponge - Plowed

Adaptable Club/Dance songs (Thinking about adapting these to the band, your opinions greatly wanted as well as suggestions)

Keisha - Take it Off

Pink - Raise your Glass (Saw a thread on this one oddly)

Gaga - Poker Face

Gaga - Bad Romance

LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem

LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It

FEM - Like a G6

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's a great list if you want to be a generic, dime a dozen, $200 bar band. Most of those songs are way beyond played out. Except for a few in the last two groups, I wouldn't recommend any of those.

I guess it's a regional thing, but you'd be relegated to the bottom feeder gigs around here with those songs.

• Members

Most good except:

Vasoline- Not danceable

Sultans- love it tho

Low Rider

House of bore

Santeria

Black magic snoozer

We still get a great reaction from Santeria...especially late in the night (but pretty much anytime) people always sing along with that one. We do it a little different than the record though and we get compliments on our "extra funky jam band version" of the song...so maybe that helps?? To each their own I guess.

I agree about the rest tho! Snooze fest.

• Members

That's a great list if you want to be a generic, dime a dozen, $200 bar band. Most of those songs are way beyond played out. Except for a few in the last two groups, I wouldn't recommend any of those.

I guess it's a regional thing, but you'd be relegated to the bottom feeder gigs around here with those songs.

For the most part I agree. Out of curiousity, which song(s) are you recommending from the 2nd to last group??

• Members

Adaptable Club/Dance songs (Thinking about adapting these to the band, your opinions greatly wanted as well as suggestions)

Keisha - Take it Off

Gaga - Poker Face

Gaga - Bad Romance

I'm curious/interested in hearing how you plan to cover these songs convincingly as a trio. Do you plan to strip down the arrangements or do you plan to offer additional instrumentation to cover the parts needed to sell the songs as club/dance tunes?

• Members

Say what?

When is the last time you (or anyone else for that matter) had a club owner say "Yea I would give you more money if only you didn't play "

Or were you being sarcastic?

• Members

For the most part I agree. Out of curiousity, which song(s) are you recommending from the 2nd to last group??

To be honest with you I only recognize a few of them, like the GaGa stuff. I might recommend more if I knew them.

Our agent is telling us the only stuff we should be adding right now is stuff that's currently in the top 100 and I would tend to believe her as that's what the clubs are telling her. The bands around here that are doing well are playing mostly rock at least from this millennium. I really doubt you could book a band with the set list the OP is proposing.

• Members

Say what?

When is the last time you (or anyone else for that matter) had a club owner say "Yea I would give you more money if only you didn't play
"

Or were you being sarcastic?

Read my previous post about our conversation with our agent. Most of those songs are 30 - 40 years old. Which makes their fans 40 - 60 years old at least. For the most part those people don't stay out late. Clubs want music that appeals to the younger people that stay out till 2 in the morning.

I really have no idea why some bands think Mustang Sally is a requirement. For every request we get for some lame-ass classic rock song, we get 20 people telling us how glad they are we're not playing it. Those songs aren't crowd pleasers any more. Not around here, anyway.

Do you really think people deciding what they want to do for the night say "Let's go find a band that plays 'House of the Rising Sun'"? That's the epitome of cover band laziness and the reason more and more clubs are using DJs these days.

• Members

Black Magic Woman

Mustang Sally

Sultans of Swing

Satisfaction

Thrill is Gone

Talk Dirty to Me

American Band

Cat Scratch Fever

Just What I needed

Hotel California

Santeria

Sharp Dressed Man

Low-Rider

Kickstart My Heart

Higher Ground

House of the Rising Sun

Free- Alright Now

I Love Rock and Roll

Should I stay or go

Suffragette City

20th Century Boy

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Meat Puppets - Backwater

SuperDrag - Sucked Out

STP - Vasoline

Queens of the Stone Age - Feel Good Hit of the Summer

Sponge - Plowed

IMO Out of all of these the only ones I would do are: (remember this is me thinking about my bands)

Talk Dirty to Me

Santeria (we do cover it. It works pretty well usually)

Kickstart My Heart (maybe)

Higher Ground

Queen - Crazy Thing Called Love (my trio does it. It is OK)

Gaga - Poker Face

Gaga - Bad Romance

These can be worked into rock songs and go over pretty well IMO. In my trio we still do raise your glass and Party rock but we have in the past done poker face. My full band still does all of these though.

FEM - Like a G6

Not sure if these two will work as well in that format. But give it a shot!

• Members

Read my previous post about our conversation with our agent. Most of those songs are 30 - 40 years old. Which makes their fans 40 - 60 years old at least. For the most part those people don't stay out late. Clubs want music that appeals to the younger people that stay out till 2 in the morning.

I really have no idea why some bands think Mustang Sally is a requirement. For every request we get for some lame-ass classic rock song, we get 20 people telling us how glad they are we're not playing it. Those songs aren't crowd pleasers any more. Not around here, anyway.

Do you really think people deciding what they want to do for the night say "Let's go find a band that plays 'House of the Rising Sun'"? That's the epitome of cover band laziness and the reason more and more clubs are using DJs these days.

I look at that set list as the beginning of a variety band set list. I agree its not going go appeal to a young meat market crowd. If its an older band, the people in the band are not going to appeal to a meat market crowd either. Young crowds are not known for their big rings, so it kind of averaged out. Older crowds leave early, but get there early, and tend to spend more. Young crowds arrive late and drunk and tend to nurse drinks and dont tip. Bookers tend to be lazy and try to push the bands toward the venues they book. I tend to think a band has to be the band that they are and seek out gigs that fit their kind of band. All kinds of bands playing all kinds of music can book high paying gigs. Its about the band and the customer more than it is having a the so called cant fail meat market set list. We just latched into a contract for 6 gigs making great money for an upscale organization working a national convention. We are a bunch of bubbas who play kind of obscure red neck texas country music and classic rock and do orignal music.

• Members

I look at that set list as the beginning of a variety band set list. I agree its not going go appeal to a young meat market crowd. If its an older band, the people in the band are not going to appeal to a meat market crowd either. Young crowds are not known for their big rings, so it kind of averaged out. Older crowds leave early, but get there early, and tend to spend more. Young crowds arrive late and drunk and tend to nurse drinks and dont tip. Bookers tend to be lazy and try to push the bands toward the venues they book. I tend to think a band has to be the band that they are and seek out gigs that fit their kind of band. All kinds of bands playing all kinds of music can book high paying gigs. Its about the band and the customer more than it is having a the so called cant fail meat market set list. We just latched into a contract for 6 gigs making great money for an upscale organization working a national convention. We are a bunch of bubbas who play kind of obscure red neck texas country music and classic rock and do orignal music.

Tim for the most part I tend to agree with you... except this part:

Young crowds are not known for their big rings, so it kind of averaged out. Older crowds leave early, but get there early, and tend to spend more. Young crowds arrive late and drunk and tend to nurse drinks and dont tip.

Again... it depends on dempgraphics. In the northeast & mid atlantic (from Maryland to Maine) nothing in that statement is true... and it's the reason why every large club (unless private) is competing for an under 30 audience.

• Members

I know a lot of music-heads in their late 20s-mid 35s who are huge fans of Dylan, Doors, CCR, early Stones, Beatles, etc.

The midwest is certainly a different place than here. Even if I could find someone who appreciated that style of music, I'm not sure even they would want to hear it in the nightclubs we play. Different scene... not better, nor worse, just different.

• Members

Yeah, it's a bit behind the times over here in ND. I target the local bars and a lot of them like country and classic rock. The bigger clubs hire bands that play more modern songs, but it's still oriented more towards guitar rock. Not so much Katy Perry or LMFAO or other newer dance music. But the younger bands are usually seen more in the bigger clubs, while the older (35+) groups are in the smaller bars playing 'older' music.

Stuff I'd like to play, like the stuff on my favorite local radio station (Three Days Grace, Seether, Chevelle, etc.)...well, it doesn't seem like there are a whole lot of places that want to hear that stuff played live in a bar or club. Kind of strange.

Maybe they just don't want to see guys in their early 40s and 50s playing it! :lol:

• Members

As I've been told by some of the people here, there is no "magic formula"... it's all dependent on your crowd, how your group delivers the material, and what you want to do with the band.

I'm happy with my current project, but myself and the other lead vocalist run and own this band, so we kinda have a system of checks and balances when picking songs. That said, if tomorrow, I had to get another band ready to go (that was going to play bars, nightclubs, festivals, colleges, and eventually weddings and corporates), I'd at least pick the following songs, all of which either work great for us, or I've seen work great for other bands:

"Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey

"Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry

"Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" by Big & Rich

"Cupid Shuffle" by Cupid

"I Want You To Want Me" by Cheap Trick

"Poker Face" by Lady Gaga

"Dynamite" by Taio Cruz

"500 Miles" by The Proclaimers

"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison

"I Gotta Feelin" by Black Eyed Peas

"Wagon Wheel" by Old Crow Medicine Show

"Blister in the Sun" by Violent Femmes

"Runaround Sue" by Dion and the Belmonts

"Low" by Flo Rida

"Sexyback" by Justin Timberlake

"I Want It That Way" by the Backstreet Boys

"All The Small Things" by Blink 182

"Should I Stay or Should I Go" by The Clash

"My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit

"Brick House" by The Commodores

"This Is How We Do It" by Montell Jordan

"Sugar We're Goin Down" by Fall Out Boy

"Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye

"Sweet Caroline" by Neil Diamond

"Say It Ain't So" by Weezer

"Killing in the Name Of" by Rage Against the Machine

"Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit

"Crazy Bitch" by Buckcherry

"Pour Some Sugar On Me" by Def Leppard

"Regulate" by Nate Dogg and Warren G

"867-5309" by Tommy Tutone

"Chicken Fried" by Zac Brown Band

"Friends In Low Places" by Garth Brooks

"What I Got" by Sublime

"Dirt Road Anthem" by Jason Aldean (Colt Ford/Brantley Gilbert)

... those would probably be my starting point, and I'd go from there, mostly pulling from that Top 200 DJ list.

Of the songs you mentioned that I didn't list, I wouldn't argue with a bandmate if they wanted to add:

Talk Dirty to Me

Hotel California

Sponge - Plowed

I Love Rock and Roll

Pink - Raise your Glass

Gaga - Bad Romance

Sharp Dressed Man

I would think these MIGHT work, but wouldn't be sold:

Satisfaction

Low-Rider

Kickstart My Heart

Higher Ground

Free- Alright Now

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Just What I Needed

... and while they aren't "A-LIST" songs, they are solid, and judging from the style you have going, I'd recommend considering:

Laid - James

Inside Out - Eve 6

Ramblin Man - Allman Bros. Band

Low - Cracker

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

My Best Friend's Girl - The Cars

Hold On Loosely - 38 Special

Take It Easy - The Eagles

Night Moves - Bob Seger

Hard to Handle - Black Crowes

All Summer Long - Kid Rock

The big thing to realize is that with a setlist like what I'm mentioning, or even what you're mentioning really, versatility is key! The same crowd that would be into Brown Eyed Girl isn't always the same crowd that would be into Cupid Shuffle.. but both of them have times that they'll kill! Just a matter of finding when and where!

Just my .02! Hope that helps!

• Members

Oh, and while I like a few of these songs (Dire Strait's "Sultans" particularly), I can't see them going over that well in a pro level cover band. They just don't give off a "fun" vibe.. and seem to be more geared musicians instead of crowd.

Black Magic Woman

Sultans of Swing

Thrill is Gone

American Band

Cat Scratch Fever

House of the Rising Sun

STP - Vasoline

and I could be off.. but I think these won't work the way you want them too..

Mustang Sally (I'm 28, I've played to crowds from 16 to 70... almost NEVER get a request for this. And do you really think that many people my age are going to be into this? I like a lot of music from this era.. this song is just tired.)

Santeria (I would pick a more upbeat, well known Sublime song.)

Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (Surprisingly, I've seen a number of bands do this, and do it well, only for it to fail hard. The ONLY band I've seen get a good reaction out of this one is the 80's show band in the area. It MIGHT have some legs.. I just haven't seen it walk.)

Keisha - Take it Off (If you're doing Ke$ha.. do "Tik Tok". It isn't usually about the artists as much as the songs.. but I just can't see picking this one first. It wasn't near as big of a hit)

FEM - Like a G6 (We did this one for a while, and it worked great, then overnight, it died. How often have you heard this one on the radio lately, compared to other songs that were out the same time? People got sick of this quick.)

One LAST thing (sorry, I'm long winded, even when typing). Don't pander to people. Your setlist is a bunch of, admittedly, played out cover tunes. Adding four or five newer pop songs isn't going to change that. You have to believe them.

There's a local band known for hip hop, pop, and dance music. If I were to go see them, and they busted out something like "Save A Horse", but did something to make me feel as though they were patronizing or making fun of country music fans, I'd probably be turned off on them, and be out the door. The same is true if a country band were to play a rap song, but more poking fun than being a creative nod to the original. Do NOT patronize people, it will backfire, and you'll look like a tired cover band trying to play "relevant" songs to stay fresh. Not saying this is the case.. just that if you want to add pop music.. do it, and don't view it as beneath you!

Best of luck!

• Members
The midwest is certainly a different place than here. Even if I could find someone who appreciated that style of music, I'm not sure even they would want to hear it in the nightclubs we play. Different scene... not better, nor worse, just different.

I think part of it is a rural vs metro thing too. Rural areas have less segregation between the ages so the music mixes up more with the age groups. Another thing is that a lot of these old classics have gotten airtime in movies that have been popular with the younger ages over the last 15 years or so.

• Members

I think part of it is a rural vs metro thing too. Rural areas have less segregation between the ages so the music mixes up more with the age groups. Another thing is that a lot of these old classics have gotten airtime in movies that have been popular with the younger ages over the last 15 years or so.

I agree with you. I lived in Buffalo for years and Western NY was alot closer to Iowa than it was to NYC in terms of culture. Classic rock probably still goes over there. 15 years ago when Green Day and Blink 182 were blowing up the radio bands were still cranking out Stones, Aerosmith even the Kansas to receptive audiences. And I imagine it hasn't changed that much. I live in a rural area on the outskirts of NYC. People think of nothing to jump on a 2 hr train ride to Manhattan or driving 3 hrs to Atlantic City to grab the 'Jersey Shore' experience.

• Members

Their is a delay in my post due to being new here, my last post addressed a great deal of you and thanked you all.

Blackbird13: EXCELLENT advice sir. Will change to Tik Tok, will also trade What I Got for Santeria. I'm just getting back into the swing of things due to being, well, out of the swing of things.

I was recently stuck in an area where it was ALL old people and the classic rock circuit was all I could play. (Average age was deceased) Now that I'm back in a more diverse environment I want fun, crazy pop/club music. Just I haven't had time to re-familiarize myself with the current crop of pop standards and really need everyone's help so we don't waste time. I'm competent as a guitar player but got to step up to the mic so this is a very heavy time for me. A great deal of change for the better, which I have earned. Luckily my friends/fellow musicians are perfect and supportive so time to get this show on the road.

• Members
. I'm just getting back into the swing of things due to being, well, out of the swing of things.

I was recently stuck in an area where it was ALL old people and the classic rock circuit was all I could play. (Average age was deceased) Now that I'm back in a more diverse environment I want fun, crazy pop/club music. Just I haven't had time to re-familiarize myself with the current crop of pop standards and really need everyone's help so we don't waste time. I'm competent as a guitar player but got to step up to the mic so this is a very heavy time for me. A great deal of change for the better, which I have earned. Luckily my friends/fellow musicians are perfect and supportive so time to get this show on the road.

why not do both? Both of them kill around here.

Archived