Do you know how hard it is to find a drummer???

Mr.O

• Members

Drummer wanted in Seattle area! The far East side to be more exact.

Do you know how hard it is to find a darn drummer???

I'm stuck with a drummer who wants to jam, not play songs. I'm about done with this guy and would be if I could find a person who is half skilled and not a winer about playing songs more the 2 time and was glad to get out of the house and practice/rehears.

Where is a good resource for drummers in the Seattle area???

Thanks!!

• Members

We have the exact opposite problem here in the Spokane area. My drummer of 18 years just quit and I've gotten calls from 5 very good drummers that all want the gig. 3 of therm teach formally, one owns a drum shop, and one plays with a few groups around here. It's bass players over here who are at a premium.

What kind of stuff are you playing? How often? I know some guys who might know some guys.

• Members

While drummers do seem more around here, don't kid yourself thinking that just any old band would have those drummers you mentioned lining up for a gig.
:)

Maybe! :o The point is,there isn't a shortage of good drummers here. But good bass players? Not so much. It's odd how different areas are just so...well, different!

One thing seems to be universal though...you can swing a dead cat anywhere and hit a decent guitar player!

• Members

Maybe!
:o
The point is,there isn't a shortage of good drummers here. But good bass players? Not so much. It's odd how different areas are just so...well, different!

One thing seems to be universal though...you can swing a dead cat anywhere and hit a decent guitar player!

LOL we got bass players comming out of our ears down here ... drummers are whats hard to find. eeeeeeeeeeeek

• Members

Yeah, put us in the bass player shortage as well. There are lots of bass players and drummers, but not a lot of them that are able to be in a band that gigs every weekend (or often), or even wants to be in one of those.

One of the longest running bands in our area is having trouble finding a steady drummer. From the 80s up until the late 2000s, the bass player and drummer were with the same band. The guitarist has been with them starting in 1989 on. After the drummer left in 2009, now it's just the bass player and guitarist with...well, whoever they can find for the night.

More than ever, I regret not taking up bass guitar when I was in my teens. I would be singing and playing bass and not ever have to worry about finding one. Guitarists and drummers are no problem.

Still, as with everything, you have to find the right fit. Even if there were 12 drummers and 20 bass players available, that doesn't mean they would all work out in the group. My drummer and I see things pretty much the same way and with my cousin in the band now, all three of us are on the same page. It's nice to not have to fight about song selection, direction, the look, setup and tear down issues, money spent on promo/equipment, etc.

• Members

you can swing a dead cat anywhere and hit a decent guitar player!

Fortunately, NOT in my area!! haha,, drummers everywhere, even bassists aren't that hard to find.. but for some reason, there's not a lot of decent guitarists around these parts. In the 80's there seemed to be 100 great guitar players on every street - I couldn't get in a band to save my life when I was a mediocre/good player.. now.. I'm a really good player (by my standards), but not 'great' by any means, yet people seek me out fairly often and try to get me to leave my band to join theirs. They all say the same thing: "we cant find a decent guitarist anywhere". All the good/great ones are pretty much tied up in bands.

• Members

We have the exact opposite problem here in the Spokane area. My drummer of 18 years just quit and I've gotten calls from 5 very good drummers that all want the gig. 3 of therm teach formally, one owns a drum shop, and one plays with a few groups around here. It's bass players over here who are at a premium.

What kind of stuff are you playing? How often? I know some guys who might know some guys.

Since we are going to be starting up again and looking for a drummer this news makes me super happy. I will say though that there seems to be tons of blues drummers and less rock and metal drummers.

• Members

Finding a good drummer has pretty much been the bane of my musical existance. I've never been happier with a drummer in my life than I am with the one I've been playing with the last several years and the difference, IMO, is that he's also a musician--he plays guitar and sings, etc. So he plays "for the song" rather than just keeping a beat and/or doing fills. Having a drummer that understands the musicality of the material rather than just the rhythm is a huge benefit.

• Members

That would be so nice! Our guy just wants to jam because he doesn't want to do the work and be held accountable for his parts. He is intimidated by the thought that he is accountable.

Finding a good drummer has pretty much been the bane of my musical existance. I've never been happier with a drummer in my life than I am with the one I've been playing with the last several years and the difference, IMO, is that he's also a musician--he plays guitar and sings, etc. So he plays "for the song" rather than just keeping a beat and/or doing fills. Having a drummer that understands the musicality of the material rather than just the rhythm is a huge benefit.

• Members

It seems as if thier are plenty of guys who want to cram one of the five or six beats they happen to know into every song, but finding a drummer that will learn the drums in a song as a part and not just another rhythym loop are pretty rare. I've only found a couple that will put the effort in. I've used a few fill-in drummers on occasion, but there is absolutely nothing worse than holding someone's hand through the same schmucky songs that I've been playing for years, yet again. And again. And again. I will go to pretty drastic measures to keep a drummer around that I easily click with

• Members

Seems like I can't get what we want of anything. Lose a bassist, then get one but he wants to gig right off, but the guitarist can't learn the songs fast enough cause he works, so the next bassist leaves, so the drummer/bass takes up the bass and we get a drummer but he quits cause it's not tight cause the bassist is learning the parts, so we get a bassist and the bass/drummer goes back to drums, but the bassist has to leave cause business has picked up... so we have less than 20 songs and can't expand it cause we keep turning over people and the new ones need to learn the old material, but someone will quit and so on... that's one long f'n sentence.

• Moderators

Seems like I can't get what we want of anything. Lose a bassist, then get one but he wants to gig right off, but the guitarist can't learn the songs fast enough cause he works, so the next bassist leaves, so the drummer/bass takes up the bass and we get a drummer but he quits cause it's not tight cause the bassist is learning the parts, so we get a bassist and the bass/drummer goes back to drums, but the bassist has to leave cause business has picked up... so we have less than 20 songs and can't expand it cause we keep turning over people and the new ones need to learn the old material, but someone will quit and so on... that's one long f'n sentence.

Another thing that's "one long f'n 'sentence'" is being a bandleader. There's hardly any worse, more frustrating job that I can think of. :freak:

Terry D.

• Members

[quote=BlueStrat;45375183

Amen. Many decent and up to great guitar players in about any community no matter how small.

• Members

It seems as if thier are plenty of guys who want to cram one of the five or six beats they happen to know into every song, but finding a drummer that will learn the drums in a song as a part and not just another rhythym loop are pretty rare. I've only found a couple that will put the effort in. I've used a few fill-in drummers on occasion, but there is absolutely nothing worse than holding someone's hand through the same schmucky songs that I've been playing for years, yet again. And again. And again. I will go to pretty drastic measures to keep a drummer around that I easily click with

Doug, let me know if you're looking. I know a new guy just moved here from LA and is really good, and a couple of young guys who are really quite good as well.

Archived