Why are so many clubs only booking one-nighters?

n9ne

• Members

There is one place in town that offers four-nights a week bands (W-Sa). Most bands play pretty much the same songs every night, although one band claimed to have enough songs to play four completely different nights (16 different sets total). Pretty hard to believe, but it can be done. My goal is to get to the point where we have enough material where we can do at least 2.5 nights without repeating one song, unless requested. I agree that it is probably why attendance has been lower in recent years for bands that do weekend gigs. Who wants to hear the same stuff each night?

The top acts down here all have house gigs or standing nights in weekly rotation. They also have huge set lists so they dont have to do a the same songs night after night. Its a resort so the fan bases are very large for these acts and there is lots of regular customers.

• Members

Definitely what's happening here..unless a clubowner is in between headliner bands he wants. Then might hire a band to work cheap both nights if they have a following. But usually it's a different band every night. This is only in the last 2-3 years.

The crowd is spoiled now, and expects to see something new every time.

When I started, it was all house bands working indefinitely...you wouldn't move your gear for months on end. I *think* that was because there were not that many bands or hot players around who could really handle a full night. We had real pro's coming off the road in the 1970s, and people would come to just listen.

The newer players aren't so great, don't have the experience, but there are lots of them, and a few of the old hands, so the clubs have lots to pick from.

• Members

Here in Eastern Idaho,we are usually doing doubles. The singles really make up a small percentage of gigs.

Had to finally take time off to learn new stuff,and......

Let our fans miss us at our regular venues. So far that's worked well.

Been off for about a month and more and more people we know are complaining were not there. That'll get our fan base back up again.

• Members

As luck would have it, we have a 2-nighter this weekend. It certainly isn't the norm, but we traded $200 bucks for 2 consecutive nights.

I figured one load-in, setup, teardown and load out VS. two was very much worth $200. When I pitched it to the booker, they wanted $400 off and we wound up at $200 off +2 hotel rooms (it's a hotel with a BIG-ASS bar) for the first night, so everybody gets to win.

Archived