Drinks for the band and tipping your bartender....?

Gremson

• Members

When you guys get drinks comped for playing the venue, do you still tip the bartender?

At most gigs I play, each band member gets a couple free drink tickets for the night. Typically the tickets cover all the alcohol I drink for the evening since I drive the gear van with a very conspicuous paint job. I never actually buy drinks so I never think to tip the bartender... Am I an asshole?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

From their perspective, it doesn't matter whether you're paying or getting the food/drink comped......they're doing the same job either way.

We always take care of our servers in the belief that it's just good karma, and that currying favor with the staff can only help the band in the long run.

As a matter of fact, we're playing tonight at a place that normally features R&B and classic rock bands, and we're a little bit louder and edgier than their usual fare. The first time we played there, the manager was a bit dubious about bringing us back, because we didn't quite fit their usual format. However, we had gone out of our way to befriend the staff, and tipped our bartender and waitresses pretty well (usually $20-30)....so while they may have liked us while we were playing, by the end of the night, they loved us.

I strongly suspect that their favorable opinions played a role in convincing the manager to bring us back....and now we're part of their regular rotation. So that extra $20-30 up front ended up becoming a semi-regular paycheck for the band. Pretty good investment, I'd say.

Like I said before....it's just good karma.

• Members

Even if I'm the hired help for the night as well?

Yes.

As much as it may hurt to hear this...especially so if you're in the band/otherwise comped drinks.

I pass my tickets off to other band members as I don't drink alcohol, so I only ask for soda...

I still tip on that, evenif/when it's free.

• Members

From their perspective, it doesn't matter whether you're paying or getting the food/drink comped......they're doing the same job either way.

We always take care of our servers in the belief that it's just good karma, and that currying favor with the staff can only help the band in the long run.

As a matter of fact, we're playing tonight at a place that normally features R&B and classic rock bands, and we're a little bit louder and edgier than their usual fare. The first time we played there, the manager was a bit dubious about bringing us back, because we didn't quite fit their usual format. However, we had gone out of our way to befriend the staff, and tipped our bartender and waitresses pretty well (usually $20-30)....so while they may have liked us while we were playing, by the end of the night, they
loved
us.

I strongly suspect that their favorable opinions played a role in convincing the manager to bring us back....and now we're part of their regular rotation....

Pretty good investment, I'd say.

Like I said before....it's just good karma.

:thu:x100 to all of this.

I have to admit I don't know how my bandmates handle it but I go out of my way to ensure this. And I strongly suspect they do too. We're warmly received by staff everywhere we go, and I know for a fact a lot of them have a "s*** list" as long as your arm. Among other things it means I get my complimentary Yuengling draft way before some vulgar drunken ass gets the $20 triple dirty vodka martini he shoved past me to slur out an order for. And my wife is well cared for as well when she chooses to attend.

It also frequently means that if the decisions for next year's rotations are close, WE have the edge over the jackasses who treat the staff like dirt. Nice guys DO sometimes come out ahead.

So yeah... when you say "take care of those people takin' care of you", don't by any means think that SAYING it exempts you from practicing what you preach.

Whatever your deal is... comped, discounted or (oh heresy!) paying full freight.

It's good karma, good business, and just plain correct human behavior.

• Members

Were in spain,free beers / water for the band & tecnico ( me :confused: ) is normal,plus free food either before the start ot at the end of the gigg,in Spain no free drinks & food = no gigg. :thu:( as it shows dis respect to the band :cool: )

no tipping here either.

• Members

Tipping is always encouraged. the tipping situation that you do want to avoid is the one where a friendly bartender gives his employers product away ( steals ) for nice tips in his jar. As band members we are working for the house and we should not aid an employee in rippin them off.

• Members

I drink soda only and always tip at least a dollar every time they bring me one. Or I'll single one girl out and just give her a five and tell her to keep 'em coming every so often.

When the band plays a restaurant gig where we get tipped, we often give a lot of it or all of it (depending on the amount) to the servers when we eat after the gig.

• Members

The absolute last thing you want to have happen is to have the bar staff brand you and/or your bandmates as "cheap". It's rare that our drinks aren't comped - so I usually hand my waitress a $10 when she brings me my first drink (which is usually well before the night heats up and gets stupid busy for her) - along with a comment like "...so I don't forget later!" More often than not - she'll keep my drinks coming all night long without me having to say another word (I'm usually drinking diet coke for most of the night .. and maybe a shot of whiskey before the start of the last set). My bandmates all do the same! We're also real good about making sure we clean up after ourselves (we'll buss our empties back up to the bar). We also zambonie up any trash that left on stage at the end of the night (set lists, broken sticks, request notes, etc.). We also make sure we pull up any tape that might have been use.

As a result, we've got a great rapport with the waitstaff pretty much anywhere we play. Having a good relationship with bar staff certainly makes working a joint alot more enjoyable - and I'm confident that it is a contributing factor when it comes to getting return bookings.

• Members

After we set up I'll ask who my server is. I'll introduce myself and hand her $20.00. Tipping up front tells the server what I'm expecting...

And I usually get it

If the server is exceptional she'll also get an additional tip at nights end.

• Members

Am I an asshole?

Don't know about that, but you're wrong. They're still working for you. If they're getting you drinks, you're just another customer to them.

I go out of my way to be nice to the staff where we play. They'll find a way to pay you back with comps and stuff. I'm surprised they wait on you at all if they know you won't tip.

Keep in mind the staff can be pretty influential on whether you get rebooked or not. You want them on your side.

• Members

Don't know about that, but you're wrong. They're still working for you. If they're getting you drinks, you're just another customer to them.

I go out of my way to be nice to the staff where we play.
They'll find a way to pay you back with comps and stuff
. I'm surprised they wait on you at all if they know you won't tip.

Keep in mind the staff can be pretty influential on whether you get rebooked or not. You want them on your side.

Tipping because you want them to steal drinks from the house is a sleezy thing for a band to do.

• Members

Even if I'm the hired help for the night as well?

You don't think the hired help tips out the other hired help?

We always try to do individual tabs since it's easier at the end of the night. My rule is the $5-or-20% -- if my tab is less than $25, they get $5. If it's more than $25, they get 20%. Obviously there can be exceptions if the service sucks.

If we have a "band drinks first $100 for free" tab or something, we'll tip 20% of the "free" amount at the end of the night out of the band pay before we split it. It's your obligation to drink your share of the tab, and if you don't, oh well!

• Members

Tipping because you want them to steal drinks from the house is a sleezy thing for a band to do.

That's pretty harsh. He said 'comps'. Almost every place I've ever been to as a working musician or a paying customer has an amount budgeted out for comps. It's a way to show appreciation to good customers.

And to the OP--you are cheap if you're not tipping. And it's bad business.

• Members

Hell, even on nights when I'm playing and I'm the only customer in the bar (it has happened) I still tip. Typically a buck per drink (even soda or coffee), 15% on food. And exceptional politeness and service can get more.

Only once did I ever have a waitress being a pain, as I was pulling out my wallet to tip she proclaimed to the table that she expected a tip. Huh? Okay, you get the minimum I do, I go to the bar and give the bartender something directly.

I found Europe was different than North America though, that gratuity was more often already calculated into the pricing (though our Euro members could confirm/deny this better than a gringo like I).

• Members

That's pretty harsh. He said 'comps'. Almost every place I've ever been to as a working musician or a paying customer has an amount budgeted out for comps. It's a way to show appreciation to good customers.

And to the OP--you are cheap if you're not tipping. And it's bad business.

Its not harsh when you look at it for what it is. Everybody thinks they are a good customer.. so the way the game works is the bartender gives away product ,overpours and rips off the house for a over healthy tip. It goes on all the time. When you have time look up on the net how a bartender can steal. Some are pretty creative and can steal you blind. The same guys will short change customers on purpose on a busy night. Its easy to do on a 50 dollar bill. if they get caught they claim they made a mistake. Bartender theft is a big problem in the business.

• Members

:facepalm::rolleyes:

I tip because they provide a service for me.

Thats cool , but if that service is leaving two beers off your tab ,, its feeding a crooked bartender. Odds are that the same bartender is adding your beer to other peoples tabs that didnt drink it or short pouring a mixed drink to avoid comming up short on inventory. I am not making accusations , but pointing out what goes on with some bar help.

Archived