How was your St. Patrick Day gig?

• Members

We had a blast at ours. Out-of-town gig with a (great!) fill-in bass player! Lots of people screaming and singing along with us. Very cool and lots of fun. The best part is we got paid very well for our troubles.

Anyone else have a great gig this weekend? :)

• Members

Yep, I'm in a side-project from the 'tones that's Irish rebel music and traditional jigs, reels & hornpipe sets. Great crowd on Saturday, lots o' pipers stopping by, a couple of step-dance fundraising groups came thru - a very genial crowd this year, much less aggressive and combative than last year. All in all, a great time. The band was definitely 'on' for the gig. We were supposed to play from 3-5, but didn't come off until almost 6:30.

• Members

I played a rare afternoon gig (3 - 7 pm) with a new project. Beautiful room - nice stage (3 ft high, large hardwood floor, scrimmed....), rare house PA system - Bose 802's spread all around the room - with a pair of Bose L1 (Model II) pole systems for stage monitoring), full lights....). The place is more of a nightclub than a St. Paddy's Day drinking destination. They typically don't open the doors until evening. We played to the bartender and the chairs for most of the afternoon. The handful of folks who did wander in all stayed for a drink or two and all had good things to say about the band - but we never had enough traffic to get any near the critical mass needed to make it a party. It was cool however since it was a great rehearsal for a new project.

• Members

Ours was just OK. St Patricks day is also my birthday so the band brought me a cake and a card so that was fun. The bar we were playing is mostly college age so since it was spring break that didn't help the crowd situation. There was also the annual celebration in Butte Mt. It is in hours drive away and has a parade and thousands of people head there to party all day long.

• Members

Busy day for the bagpipe band. Started at 9:00 with a solo piper for a Mass, and went thru the day with the full band, including a parade, until 10:30 or 11:00 pm. at a bunch of places around town. We are an hour north of Butte, so I suppose that lots of locals went there instead of partying in Helena. We also played on Friday throughout the day and an evening show. Mark C.

• Members

My first real gig was in Butte on St. Patricks Day! Fourteen years old and basically unsupervised with a pipe and drums outfit from out of town. Marched in the parade during the day and through every bar downtown throughout most of the night. I vaguely recall sitting at a pinball machine with a pitcher of beer and my pipes at my side in a bar called O'Malley's, I think. I've been hooked on road gigs ever since!

No gig last weekend, but I ventured downtown in a full kilt for a couple of beers. I hopped out of the cab and immeadiately was confronted by a drunk guy with a shaved head, green flashing earings, a green feather boa and several sets of green beads who takes one look at me in my kilt and says, "queer", before staggering along. Whatever. I head to a bar and grab a Guiness. I'm the only one in a kilt but getting a few more positive responses. Soon after a bus of pipes and drums does the march through and plays a few tunes. As thier finishiing up and headed out, someone, also in a kilt taps me on shoulders and say c',mon the bus is leaving. So I end up riding around with those guys for a couple of hours, beer on the house at each place! Nice night off and home by eleven.

• Members

My first real gig was in Butte on St. Patricks Day! Fourteen years old and basically unsupervised with a pipe and drums outfit from out of town. Marched in the parade during the day and through every bar downtown throughout most of the night. I vaguely recall sitting at a pinball machine with a pitcher of beer and my pipes at my side in a bar called O'Malley's, I think. I've been hooked on road gigs ever since!

No gig last weekend, but I ventured downtown in a full kilt for a couple of beers. I hopped out of the cab and immeadiately was confronted by a drunk guy with a shaved head, green flashing earings, a green feather boa and several sets of green beads who takes one look at me in my kilt and says, "queer", before staggering along. Whatever. I head to a bar and grab a Guiness. I'm the only one in a kilt but getting a few more positive responses. Soon after a bus of pipes and drums does the march through and plays a few tunes. As thier finishiing up and headed out, someone, also in a kilt taps me on shoulders and say c',mon the bus is leaving. So I end up riding around with those guys for a couple of hours, beer on the house at each place! Nice night off and home by eleven.

Our drummer wore a kilt to the gig.

• Members

Still recovering... The gig was fine. It was a regular room we play, (non Irish bar) and attendance was a little more than a regular gig when we play.... which considering it was a Saturday and we didn't start until 11pm it was better than I personally expected (most people blow their load early). Notice I'm not gushing over the gig. To be honest from an energy stand point and attendence... Thanksgiving Eve and our annual Mardi Gras shows rank much higher. I think everyone was just so freakin tired by 12am. Some like myself were going since the early morning. The best part... no fights, no incidents. In fact everyone was happy and was having a great time.

423309_10151416470285175_571140174_23842

As for me... I was the Walking Dead. Was up at 5:30am for my annual trek to NYC for the parade. Caught the 7am train with friends... first beer cracked at 9am, polluted myself till 1pm... rode the buzz till 3pm... got the 4pm train home. Got home at six.... napped for 90 minutes, showered, changed, dragged myself to the club for a 9pm load in... played from 11pm til 2:15am. Load out... home by 4am. in bed by 4:08. Rough night.

• Members

Mine was great. Played a duo acoustic show at at place we play every Wednesday. Played 6-11, had some great food and drinks and didn't repeat a song once! For us this is big since we started out as this arrangement just a few months ago. This was my first St Pattys day being a lead singer and I got tons of compliments on my voice, and a very positive response from the crowd (which was the largest we've ever seen at this place). on top of that, the managers were all in great moods and my duo partners girlfriend won a trip to Las Vegas from the bar!

Oh, and I brought this green poncho that I wore as the Hunchback of Notre Dame for Halloween, and found $40 in the pocket that I must have drunkenly left in there on Halloween, the last time I wore it. Score.

• Members

Two words: freakin' awesome!
:cool:

Ditto! We played if not the absolute biggest, then darn close to the biggest St. Pats Day gig in Metro Detroit...headlining a huge lineup of bands at a traditional Irish Pub in the heart of downtown (not Detroit :lol:). This is a regular room for us, but this party was like nothing we'd ever seen. 1000+ sqft party tent added onto the back of the bar, live radio broadcast all day, 4-5 extra bars with Summer Shandy on tap. We had to get 'staff' passes to even get in the door. The fire dept was there all day monitoring occupancy and keeping exits clear. Ridiculous.

We started at 9pm to a "busy for a normal night" crowd near the stage. By the time we ended our first set, there was all of a sudden a massive crowd in front of us. They ventured off when we stopped, but as we were getting back up to start again they started swarming. We had them jumping all night long with no incidents or anything to complain about. Totally amazing gig!

line.jpg

crowd.jpg

• Members

Nothing personal Grant, but St. Pat's day-time festivities...it's rank amateur hour and generally only done by people looking for an excuse to act like an idiot.

We were driving around running errands at 10:45 AM and I couldn't believe the number of people out and clearly heading to whatever destination to get their green-beer drinking day started, and...well, that's pretty damn sad, IMO.

In Chicago, the actual "real" St. Pat's parade (South Side) and festivities got cancelled for two years because too many people were just flat out plain idiots, and there was increasing violence, vandalism, far too much excessive drinking, etc. (To say that there is too much drinking and rowdiness on the South Side for St. Pat's really is saying something severe).

Like NYE, the world would be a far better place if people didn't feel the need to turn the day into a 'how much can I consume" day. Have fun, enjoy yourself, please. Just don't go out of your way to end up where you'll likely act like a moron as a result...

Case in point:

My gig was a general meh...

Very white-bread and reserved typical suburban crowd at a KofC hall. Crowd was relatively appreciative during the first set, decent applause, no real dancing. Allow time and for the alcohol to start kicking in...

By the end of the night, dudes who shouldn't were attempting to dance, and the soccer moms were bumping and grinding and doing faux-stripper pole dancing.

:facepalm:

Now I have no real problem with any of that if that's where it ended, but of course, that's not the case.

Without going into too much detail, I will say I've NEVER witnessed so many people who were clueless that when the band is in the middle of a song, it's probably NOt the best time to try and hold a conversation with them. Or really, give a speech to them...

Not just a "Hey, you rock" or "Play [insert song x]", but "Do you guys play, umm...what's that one song that sounds like that other song. you know, it was on that TV show last week when the one girl was talking to her friend and realized they were both dating the captain of the football team....Do you know that one?"

And to top it all off, this was a sub gig for me, and the leader knew he was getting paid by check, yet forgot to bring his own checkbook or cash to pay the rest of us with, so I had to settle for an IOU...

Double :facepalm:.

I'll keep playing St. Pat's gigs because of the money involved, but boy do they make me loathe people in general more...

• Members

", but "Do you guys play, umm...what's that one song that sounds like that other song. you know, it was on that TV show last week when the one girl was talking to her friend and realized they were both dating the captain of the football team....Do you know that one?"

I'll keep playing St. Pat's gigs because of the money involved, but boy do they make me loathe people in general more...

I was sort of expecting some of this too...but we didn't get much of it at all. Nobody grabbing mics, running on stage, or talking to us, or fighting, nothing. I was surprised by how good of a time everyone had with how few "issues" there were.

• Members

", but "Do you guys play, umm...what's that one song that sounds like that other song. you know, it was on that TV show last week when the one girl was talking to her friend and realized they were both dating the captain of the football team....Do you know that one?"

And to top it all off, this was a sub gig for me, and the leader knew he was getting paid by check, yet forgot to bring his own checkbook or cash to pay the rest of us with, so I had to settle for an IOU...

Double

Nothing personal taken :thu:... I've played St. Pat's gigs before where guys were bleeding from broken bottles crushed over their heads. Like I said this year it was pretty normal show. Over all I think during the day NYC law enforcement to an excellent job with containment. I also think the real amateurs couldn't go the distance. By midnight I'm sure all of the combatants were either arrested or passed out by early evening. Also the club we play has decent security. Even a slight wobble at the front door or the dance floor and three guys are dragging someone out. I thought St. Pats... + Saturday was going to equal mayhem.

I hear you though... there were St Pat gigs in the past I would have loved to avoid.

• Members

I did a trio gig at a medium size bar on St. Patty's Day. The gig started out a little slow and we had a technical issue that was solved early, but it did not diminish the show and we finished with a bang!

There must have been something in the water that night...because I got flashed TWICE! There was a trio of super hot females that were into us the whole night. At the halfway point one of them came up and flashed us! A little bit later she brought one of the other girls in their party over and THEY BOTH FLASHED US! The rest of the night the other guitar player kept trying to get the third friend to flash us, but to no avail. Also after the "flashing" every male in the place tried to put the moves on them...it became kinda comical to see those girls turning down guy after guy.

So 2 outta 3 ain't bad. Not on the level of toneforhire...but I'll take it! :cool:

• Members

419729_10150640580863759_704243758_94597

This good lol. A bar fight erupted because the owner didn't know had to diffuse a couple of rowdy guys, and just added fuel to the fire. The owner was swinging our mic stands around, smashed our lights, cut us early, and then cut our pay. I took a mic stand to the face when the owner moved on to a baseball bat.

Ended up in the hospital till 9:30am, got a CT scan, and will have a nice scar on my face. I wasn't even involved in the fight lol. Through it all I maintained my trademark sense of humor. EMTs told me I was the coolest guy they'd ever met, and we had a fun ride to the hospital. My girlfriend was looking for her gun to shoot the mutha who hit me.

Oddly enough, my singer broke his arm a week earlier on Parade Day, prompting a friend to say "St. Patty's Day -2, Underworld - 0" lol.

Oh well, girls dig scars.

• Members

The owner was swinging our mic stands around, smashed our lights, cut us early, and then cut our pay. I took a mic stand to the face when the owner moved on to a baseball bat.

As much as I strive for level-headedness and calmly diffusing situations as much as possible, if anybody, much less the owner of the bar started swinging our mic stands around, smashing A light (much less plural)...

HE'd be the one requiring stiches, believe me.

• Members

Double

Man, the vast majority of your posts are so freaking negative I am starting to think you would find something to bitch about a free lay from two $1000 hookers.

• Members

Still recovering... The gig was fine. It was a regular room we play, (non Irish bar) and attendance was a little more than a regular gig when we play.... which considering it was a Saturday and we didn't start until 11pm it was better than I personally expected (most people blow their load early). Notice I'm not gushing over the gig. To be honest from an energy stand point and attendence... Thanksgiving Eve and our annual Mardi Gras shows rank much higher. I think everyone was just so freakin tired by 12am. Some like myself were going since the early morning. The best part... no fights, no incidents. In fact everyone was happy and was having a great time.

ya know what? Had a similar experience. A regular room in town, packed with drunks by 8pm and many of them were running out of steam by midnight. Still a good gig but not an OVER THE TOP CRAZY ONE.

Archived