Why no love for bass players?

BlueStrat

• Members

Yep. My bass player has been using a little SWR combo or something like that and running a line out to the PA. I've downsized to a 15 watt amp and do the same thing.

Yep. Since we went to IEMs I've gotten the guys to downsize their stage gear and volume. Everything sounds better and we've got that much less heavy crap to load in and out. Bass player is using one of those new little Ampeg Portaflex heads that weighs like 7 lbs and a small cabinet and the guitarist has a little Egnater combo amp that he runs on the 1-watt setting.

Let the PA do the work! :thu:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The era of the big amp is over. Back in the 60s-70s when PAs sucked and were mostly for vocals it made sense. Now days with better PAs and Instrument amplifiers being smaller and louder than before it doesn't make any sense unless it is just for show. My Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/12t weighs about 28 pounds and has a 600 watt amp. It also has a kickstand on the bottom that when used aims the speakers at your ear. If you can't hear it you are either deafer than me or too far away from it.

• Members

The era of the big amp is over. Back in the 60s-70s when PAs sucked and were mostly for vocals it made sense. Now days with better PAs and Instrument amplifiers being smaller and louder than before it doesn't make any sense unless it is just for show. My Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/12t weighs about 28 pounds and has a 600 watt amp. It also has a kickstand on the bottom that when used aims the speakers at your ear. If you can't hear it you are either deafer than me or too far away from it.

Again, it depends on your situation - in the genre my band covers, I've never played thru a 115 that would work, let alone a 112... Sure, if you're playing geezer rock, I could see it - in my band, not so much...

- georgestrings

• Members

Again, it depends on your situation - in the genre my band covers, I've never played thru a 115 that would work, let alone a 112... Sure, if you're playing geezer rock, I could see it - in my band, not so much...

- georgestrings

If the PA and monitoring is good enough it will work for any type of music.

• Members

If the PA and monitoring is good enough it will work for any type of music.

Those are pretty big "ifs" - we don't use our own PA anymore, so I can't depend on things outside of my control being the same every week... I'm glad your thing is working well for you, but you know what they say about making blanket statements, right??? For example:

"If you can't hear it you are either deafer than me or too far away from it."

That is fine if you play smaller stages, or camp out infront of your amp - but, if you play bigger stages, and move around alot - not so much...

- georgestrings

• Members

Those are pretty big "ifs" - we don't use our own PA anymore, so I can't depend on things outside of my control being the same every week... I'm glad your thing is working well for you, but you know what they say about making blanket statements, right??? For example:

That is fine if you play smaller stages, or camp out infront of your amp - but, if you play bigger stages, and move around alot - not so much...

- georgestrings

I don't know..I saw a pretty loud rock/metal band ( a kid I worked with invited me-not really my cup of tea but they were quite good, I thought- except for the cookie monster vocal parts). Everyone on stage except the drummer used an electronic processor and there were no amps on stage at all. They ran through the house system and used the house sound man and sounded fine. They sounded great as the PA handled all the sound and the vocals weren't drowned out by stage amp volumes. Might not work for everyone, but it can be done, because I saw it.

• Members

- georgestrings

Well we use our own PA and IEMs so it doesn't matter where I'm at onstage I can hear me. The picture in my Avatar was taken at http://www.headwaterscountryjam.com/ I had 2 EAW wedges in front of me as did everyone in the band. The stage was at least 60'ft wide so everyone in the band had my bass in their monitors. The only one hearing my amp was me. I have opened for Sawyer Brown and the bass player was using a BBE pre-amp and IEMs no amp at all.

• Members

Well we use our own PA and IEMs so it doesn't matter where I'm at onstage I can hear me. The picture in my Avatar was taken at
I had 2 EAW wedges in front of me as did everyone in the band. The stage was at least 60'ft wide so everyone in the band had my bass in their monitors. The only one hearing my amp was me. I have opened for Sawyer Brown and the bass player was using a BBE pre-amp and IEMs no amp at all.

OK, using IEMs is a whole different ballgame - and truthfully, not one I'm interested in... I could see your 112 working in a case like that, but not in many rock settings, otherwise...

- georgestrings

• Members

OK, using IEMs is a whole different ballgame - and truthfully, not one I'm interested in... I could see your 112 working in a case like that, but not in many rock settings, otherwise...

- georgestrings

I agree that a large amp is important for shows that do not have adequate PA.

• Members

Yeah, the band was using IEMs. Steve Walsh was using 2 keyboards one was a Kurzweil couldn't see the other one. And since I check out PAs The FOH board was a Digico SD8. The PA was an EAW line array 5 boxes a side with 4 aside EAW SB1000. They also had 4 EAWNT26s or 29s for front fill.

• Members

Who provided the PA? PM me if you would prefer. Mark C.

I'm not sure who the sound provider was. I thought about trying to talk to the foh guy after the show but too many people were in the way. It sounded pretty good although he one low end feedback episode, he got it under control real quick though.

Archived