You'll never get out of Revere, guy!

FitchFY

• Members

So, let me get this straight - it bothers you that they pay good but aren't good competition to your main band?

:freak:

Take the money and run :D . I'd personally have an ethical dilemma if I was in two bands that were directly competing with one another.

• Members

So, let me get this straight - it bothers you that they pay good but aren't good competition to your main band?

:freak:

Take the money and run
:D
. I'd personally have an ethical dilemma if I was in two bands that were directly competing with one another.

Valid statement, but no, they're not competition. They're a classic rock act with no draw where I normally play with my hard rock act with a solid draw and 4 years' reputation.

If I needed the money, I'd stick it out, but I can fortunately play because I love doing it. If I don't love it, I don't do it. :thu:

• Members

I see your frustration, but as a hired gun your job is to come in and play your parts. It's their responsibility to market their band. If they hired you as a manager then i could see your beef but you're not so just play. Who knows, if they did take your advice maybe they would be direct competition for your other band.

• Members

I see your frustration, but as a hired gun your job is to come in and play your parts. It's their responsibility to market their band. If they hired you as a manager then i could see your beef but you're not so just play. Who knows, if they did take your advice maybe they would be direct competition for your other band.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and it would be a valid assessment except for the whole part about the OP being able to pick and choose gigs he likes/wants/prefers to.

I get offered gigs all the time and decline them for reasons that have way more to do with how enjoyable the gig will be at the end of the night based on everything involved than on what my actual 'job/role' would be.

• Members

Why don't you just mention this to them? You don't have to come off sounding like you're telling them what to do, just ask if they've ever thought about working the audience and management, etc. in between sets and such. Say you read somewhere that it was a good idea and lots of folks are doing it with some success. Maybe even mention your band does it and it seemed to work. Hell, you're smart, you can think of something if you really want to do it. If it's a fun gig and you enjoy working with the other players and you're friends, help 'em out by at least mentioning it to them. Besides, it's another source of revenue, isn't it? I think as long as you can do it without creating any drama, you come off as a good guy to them whether they accept your advice or not. Just my .02

• Members

If you come to the end of your service with them and someone asks: "so what'd you think?", then I'd tell them they should be more social with their employers and their crowd. But if they don't care then whatever, this {censored} should be obvious to all bands anyway.

• Members

Why don't you just mention this to them? You don't have to come off sounding like you're telling them what to do, just ask if they've ever thought about working the audience and management, etc. in between sets and such.

Heh heh - I did. They know it - that's why I left. :wave:

Like I said, no drama here - I'm just wishing my friends' band was better at self-management so people would dig on them more. I would've liked to stay with the gig if they could work on that, but they have some antiquated ideas on how a band should be perceived by bars/ patrons.

Oh well - at least I got to play some Zeppelin finally!

• Members

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, and it would be a valid assessment except for the whole part about the OP being able to pick and choose gigs he likes/wants/prefers to.

I get offered gigs all the time and decline them for reasons that have way more to do with how enjoyable the gig will be at the end of the night based on everything involved than on what my actual 'job/role' would be.

Spot on, mate. :thu:

• Moderators

The fact that they never came up to you and asked you, "Dude, you guys are booking it solid. What can we do to have a similar situation?" The fact that they never took advantage of your inside knowledge says... not that they're lazy or wrong or stupid... but that they have a different idea of what and who they want to be. That can be frustrating from the outside but, whatever makes them happy. That, I assume, is why they're doing it. To gain some happiness? To have fun?

Of course, I guess they could be lazy or wrong or stupid too. :)

• Members

The fact that they never came up to you and asked you, "Dude, you guys are booking it solid. What can we do to have a similar situation?" The fact that they never took advantage of your inside knowledge says... not that they're lazy or wrong or stupid... but that they have a different idea of what and who they want to be. That can be frustrating from the outside but, whatever makes them happy. That, I assume, is why they're doing it. To gain some happiness? To have fun?

Of course, I guess they could be lazy or wrong or stupid too.
:)

I'm thinking it's more like this. I'm sure some bands look at our band as doing everything wrong too..."You're not booked every weekend! You must suck"...."You have cheapo gear, what's wrong with you?"..."You don't sit with everyone on your breaks, you're doing it wrong!!"

And yet, we still get hired. And I don't feel we have to do everything the same way as other bands do. So, there may be some truth to this. They might just be happy in their comfort zone.

• Members

Of course, I guess they could be lazy or wrong or stupid too.
:)

Yeah, I was wondering myself....Do they WANT to get out of Revere? I know myself....I don't particularly care if we never leave the pratice (jam) space. It's just about playing songs for me. People listening, dancing whatever is nice, but I'm not going to put myself very far out to acheive that. LOL

Archived