Attn: female-fronted cover bands... new songs?

mstreck

• Members

Anyone doing "Starships" by Nicki Minaj or "Domino" by Jesse J?

We're going to have a couple of weeks off in April and looking to add some fresh pop stuff in addition to a few others. Will consider other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Mike

• Members

Mike,

Not trying to derail your thread, but wanted to ask....

Are you doing Smitty McGees as an acoustic act, or full band?

Both, actually... We've been told "no hard rock" and we need to keep things quiet and toned down during dinner (8:00 - 9:30), so Amy and Dave will do some acoustic to start off - probably with John doing bongos, then it will be the full band from 9:30 - 12:00. :thu:

• Members

I like "Domino" and I always wonder what it's appeal would be when I hear it. I heard it again on a TV show last night and I thought that'd be one we'd kill but I'm not sure it would really work for us.

Our drummer suggested that one "way back" when it first came out. We've been too busy to get to it, but it's on our break playlist and it seems to still have some legs, so...

• Members

Both, actually... We've been told "no hard rock" and we need to keep things quiet and toned down during dinner (8:00 - 9:30), so Amy and Dave will do some acoustic to start off - probably with John doing bongos, then it will be the full band from 9:30 - 12:00.
:thu:

Ah, oh well...the "no hard rock" puts us out of the running. Would have been nice to cop a gig so close to my "sleeping quarters"...hehe!

• Members

Ah, oh well...the "no hard rock" puts us out of the running. Would have been nice to cop a gig so close to my "sleeping quarters"...hehe!

In related news, the town council just passed an ordinance that no alcohol is able to to served after 11:30pm and no beverages can be consumed after midnight - so I'm sure THAT is going to be a PIA as well.

http://www.wboc.com/story/17337221/last-call-set-earlier-in-del-town

:facepalm:

• Members

In related news, the town council just passed an ordinance that no alcohol is able to to served after 11:30pm and no beverages can be consumed after midnight - so I'm sure THAT is going to be a PIA as well.

WTF?

Where do you live, 1957 or something?

You better learn to play Footloose quick in case they decide to ban dancing as well.

• Members

We haven't learned anything new since Gaga's "You and I", and Adele's "Rollin In the Deep" and "Someone Like You".

Haven't had anybody ask for anything newer. The average age of our fan base probably precludes any Minaj or Rhianna being learned (thank god - I despise their "music").

We've brought in some more classic rock, but that's about it.

• Members

So what next? is to ban all live music from bars and make laws against fun. :evil:

• Members

So what next? is to ban all live music from bars and make laws against fun.
:evil:

The place we played wasn't affected by the ordinance. It only applies in the actual "town", which is VERY small. We decided to drive through it a couple of days ago and I kinda get why they did it. The town is tightly packed and the houses are very close together. It would be easy to cause a racket and distrub a lot of people with everything so close together. The last thing I'd want to hear is a bunch of screaming drunks at 1:00AM when I need to get up at 6 to go to work. AFAIK, only one place is affected and they had a 100 person brawl that started inside and moved outside back in December. My guess is that incident is the reason for the ordinance.

• Members

The place we played wasn't affected by the ordinance. It only applies in the actual "town", which is VERY small. We decided to drive through it a couple of days ago and I kinda get why they did it. The town is tightly packed and the houses are very close together. It would be easy to cause a racket and distrub a lot of people with everything so close together. The last thing I'd want to hear is a bunch of screaming drunks at 1:00AM when I need to get up at 6 to go to work. AFAIK, only one place is affected and they had a 100 person brawl that started inside and moved outside back in December. My guess is that incident is the reason for the ordinance.

Gotcha it's all about location. We lost a bar a couple of years ago and which was a live music crowd hot spot but gated housing development sprung up surrounding the place and the owner had to stop hiring bands because of the noise and sold the place and now it's a karoke joint that barely keeps ther door open.

• Members

Back to the original post, I think we're going to be adding Starships and Wild Ones by Flo-Rida. We recently added We Found Love by Rihanna which goes over really well. I'm not sure about Domino, though I've thought about it.

And you have keys now, right?

• Members

Mike,

We worked up both Starships and Domino last night as well as reworked We Found Love with no keyboard. I think all are going to go over great. Superbass still kills for us as well.

We're definitely working up Stronger by Kelly Clarkson next week. Looking for a couple others to add as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, Starships never made it to the to-do list.

We're keeping Domino, but we haven't played it live yet because we weren't happy with the the bridge. Last night, we decided to try this transition: at the bridge, Amy still sings "Ooo baby baby, dancing in the moonlight" while Dan and I go into the intro to I Gotta Feeling (he sings, I play the riff over the kick drum) and Amy continues singing her part until the intro is over and then the full band comes in for the rest of IGF.

I have to say, it works BEAUTIFULLY!!! :thu:

Archived