Flattered by imitation... and YES delivery DOES matter.

jeff42

• Members

Yeah, I think if you're really worried about someone dipping into your creative juice, you've got to put your efforts towards something that's legally defensible. Take it as a compliment, take the opportunity to mentor, and take it as a threat that inspires you to kick it up.

• Members

Take it as a compliment, take the opportunity to mentor, and take it as a threat that inspires you to kick it up.

totally how I feel. not really a threat though but more like, lets SHAKE things up with our own medleys.

• Members

I just had a local guy be a little edgy with me because a) I play ukulele, as I have for the past 15 years, and ukulele is "his thing", and b) I play a Chuck Berry song he plays. So I'm glad you read my response charitably; I'm a little punchy about this at the moment.

• Members

Maybe they're just getting ready to take over for you when you guys decide to hang it up?
:D

LOL maybe! There & Back Again has been a rollercoaster ride this past year. LOTS of UPS and DOWNS! Right now its UP! (which is good)

• Members

Yeah, these guys are young kids. It's a compliment.

I can remember first starting out (more like 14-15, but whatever...) and going to see a band and us being SO impressed with them that we tried to rip off everything they did.

Everyone has to start somewhere and imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery.

Hell, I'm STILL ripping off good bands all the time... :lol:

• Members

You're absolutely right about how much delivery matters!!!! LOL Been there done that back when I was gigging, except they weren't 21 y.o.s we'd known since birth and weren't RELATED to band members, but had been in a band a while back with two of the members of the band I was in.

Long story short I was in a house band for this dive bar that we played several nights a week for decent pay

• Members

I guess all I'm saying is that you have to be really careful in these situations, you'd be surprised how many musos are complete {censored}ing snakes like this clown and will try to steal your gig right out from under you all the while being friendly to your face, I've seen it or heard about it second hands more times than I can count.

Yes, and it happens at every level, whether you're playing Joe Bob's Suds Shack or big stage festival type gigs.

• Members

I like what Paul Mc said recently:

"You get the argument 'Make way for the young kids. And you think, 'F--- that', let them make way for themselves. If they're better than me, they'll beat me."

---Paul Mccartney RS Feb 15-2012

• Members

"You get the argument 'Make way for the young kids. And you think, 'F--- that', let them make way for themselves. If they're better than me, they'll beat me."

• Members

I hope he says that to his lame-ass kid trying to glom on to dad's stardom by stArting a band with Dhani Harrison, Sean Lennon & Zak Starkey.

• Members

I wouldn't let it bug me. When my hippy band was at it's peak, there were no less than 3-4 clone bands that were doing the same songs as us. They'd all run their course and be split up after a year or 2. Meanwhile we plugged away and kept doing what we were doing.

• Members

The fact that he even talks about it, and believes they could be as good as The Beatles deserves a slap from dear old dad.

agreed and honestly when I read about this it was april 1st. I thought it was an april fools joke.

• Members

The fact that he even talks about it, and believes they could be as good as The Beatles deserves a slap from dear old dad.

I didn't take that story as any more than some idiot reporter asking if he thought such a thing could ever happen and him replying a with not much more than "ummm...yeah, we've kinda talked about it before..." The fact that he acknowledged that Zak almost certaily wouldn't be interested and tossed out Ringo's other kids name as a possibility even though, as far as anybody knows, the kid doesn't even play music, made it pretty clear it wasn't a serious story.

Archived