Getting Military Gigs

YeahDoIt

• Members
I'm looking at
and wondering how to get gigs at military bases. Are there forum members that played military gigs? How to get such gigs? Is it centralized or are such bookings managed at each base?

Aside from the "big name" concerts I think most military gigs are filled by military bands - or at least that was the case a few years ago. You do know that Hendrix was in a military band?

• Members

Contact the USO, I did some gigs with them some years ago, all overseas so I am not sure how it works in the US itself. I got nothing but love and would do it many times more if the chance presented itself!

Rod

There are USO's near every active military base. (Don't know about reserve training posts.) That would probably be one to the easiest ways in. Knowing some of the non-com and officers may be additional ways. (That's really a maybe.) Whenever there is a military band on post, they not only provide the music for marching, they also are the jazz band for parties, the rock band in the NCO club ........ These people are full time musicians who can actually sight read music. Your weekend warrior can't compete with the army band. They don't get anywhere near as much playing and reading time.

• Members

I have booked gigs at our local bases via the MWR dept (Morale, Welfare & Recreation).

Reach out to the base ad find out who the MWR director is and find out if they have any events you might be a good fit for.

We have done a few shows locally and even traveled to Guantanamo Bay the last two years to play for the troops at GTMO.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get hooked up with the USO. They tend to use more "National act" talent on their tours.

Very rewarding to do these kinds of shows!

Archived