Modern Country Fans---explain Blake Shelton to me?

• Members

I don't follow country music much, but I watch The Voice and really like Blake Shelton's personality. Seems like a really nice guy. And obviously very handsome.

Last night they announce he's had 11 #1 singles, and he comes out and sings his new song.

Uhhh....this guy can't really sing much. And he doesn't write his own material. So what's the appeal here? Just the good looks?

[video=youtube;_e06lS65y84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e06lS65y84

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I didn't think the song was great either. I do think he is a nice guy personality wise. I don't really know why he is so popular but he is married to Miranda Lambert.:) My band plays a couple of his songs "Some Beach" and "the more I drink"

• Members

Most guy country singers aren't known for amazing vocals.

True, but most can deliver the song with some punch and some power and emotion where it's needed. I thought he'd least be up to the level of the other big country stars: Keith Urban, Tim McGraw, etc.

I hate to judge a guy by one performance, but oddly enough, while he's got a dynamic personality on the TV show, he comes across as very wooden and boring while singing this song.

I dunno. Obviously he's doing SOMETHING right, or he wouldn't have 11 #1 hits, but I guess maybe I just expected more...

I really wanted to like his performance, but it didn't do anything for me.

• Members

He's never been dynamic, and isn't a good performer. He's in the George Strait just sit there and sing mode, but he's not as charismatic.

He's had 11 #1's, but they've been pretty sporadic over about a 10 year period. He's a very good song picker, at least as of late, and we do Honeybee and Drink on It, his latest two singles. He's not my favorite, but I'll definitely go to his concert the next time he's in San Diego.

:idk:

• Members

He's never been dynamic, and isn't a good performer. He's in the George Strait just sit there and sing mode, but he's not as charismatic.

Yeah, but Strait has that VOICE! That's how you sell a country song! And, yes--just standing there he's got a ton of charisma.

• Members

In my neck of the woods we play a great deal of Blake Shelton and it goes over well,so for my area it has to be the songs.

The patrons in the clubs we play at LOVE to hear Kiss My Country Ass,Ole Red,Some Beach,All About Tonight and Honey Bee. I dont get it either,but his songs have a very broad mass appeal

• Members

I was hanging with 2 of my fellow country house band survivors last night, and they were saying the same thing. I was surprised that he doesn't write his own material- I at least thought that he wrote "Some Beach". And I didn't realize he was THAT overexposed ala Kenny Chesney. It's kind of funny that most here seem to know more about the country scene than myself (who plays in a country band) but also entirely possible- I rarely watch network TV.

I recently learned a Luke Bryan song and thought his voice was pretty ordinary, also. But my ex went to one of his concerts and said he was awesome- very entertaining and funny too.

• Members

Yeah, I heard that and also thought the vocal was pretty lame. Most of the contestants sang much better. It may have been an off-night, but I did notice he does not use IEMs like most of his fellow country stars do. Maybe he was having trouble hearing himself. That being said, I'd sure trade places with him! LOL :cool:

• Members

Maybe he was having trouble hearing himself.

I suspect there are some monitoring problems on that show. A LOT of the performances on there have had some pretty major pitch problems, and not everybody that fell prey to it was accustomed to singing in a style where being pitchy was ok. Tony Vincent's been singing lead roles on Broadway for over a decade and even his performances were shaky.

-Dan.

• Members

My brother worked backsatge @ Merriweather Pavillion in Columbia during the golden age (1968 - 72) and got to meet all kinds of famous people, from Hendrix to Conway Twitty.

He said the country stars were always the most friendly and unassuming. The rock stars were either ambivalent, or complete assholes (especially the British ones).

• Members

Blake very rarely wears IEMs. HE is actually a great vocalist. I think NBC sound crew is pretty shotty. There is always an overpowering of the backup singers over the lead vocal. Listen to his cover of "Goodbye Time" to really hear his vocals. While I think reality shows are career suicide for an artist, this seems to be working in his favor. I do not believe however, that you put Tim McGraw in the great vocalist catagory. McGraw uses so much auto tune it ought to be illegal. While McGraw is a great performer and chooses great songs, a great vocalist he is not. But as it was mentioned, most Male Country Singers (Nowadays, at least) are not vocal giants. Blake has good team around him and a knack for picking good songs. Couple that with weekly TV exposure, your bound to have a good career.

• Members

Let me say at the outset that I LOVE country music. But I HATE modern pop country for the most part. All of those guys are interchangeable as far as singing goes, IMO. It's funny, too, because modern country prides itself in being "honest"music for "real folks", but it's as plastic and contrived as any pop music ever thought of being. Guys like Steve Earl, David Alan Coe, Chris Knight, Cody Canada, and tons of others have been shut out because they don't sound like Blake/Toby/Kenny/Jason/Zac/Tim etc and they don't write sappy songs or songs built around a bumper sticker. It's a hoot, too. I mentored a kid who is a great singer who went to Nashville and got interest from a production group who worked with some big names, but they told the kid he had to work on his singing accent (it wasn't "country" enough) and develop a backstory about growing up poor in the country. The producers use autotune and everything else the rest of the music biz uses. It's really no different than producing a Lady Gaga or a Jay Z, except they use fiddles and steel guitars.

• Members

Let me say at the outset that I LOVE country music. But I HATE modern pop country for the most part. All of those guys are interchangeable as far as singing goes, IMO. It's funny, too, because modern country prides itself in being "honest"music for "real folks", but it's as plastic and contrived as any pop music ever thought of being. Guys like Steve Earl, David Alan Coe, Chris Knight, Cody Canada, and tons of others have been shut out because they don't sound like Blake/Toby/Kenny/Jason/Zac/Tim etc and they don't write sappy songs or songs built around a bumper sticker. It's a hoot, too. I mentored a kid who is a great singer who went to Nashville and got interest from a production group who worked with some big names, but they told the kid he had to work on his singing accent (it wasn't "country" enough) and develop a backstory about growing up poor in the country. The producers use autotune and everything else the rest of the music biz uses. It's really no different than producing a Lady Gaga or a Jay Z, except they use fiddles and steel guitars.

...that's why they call it "NashVegas"

• Members

He's popular cause he picks the songs that the average middle American idiot can relate to with zero effort, plus the gals think he' cute.

Perhaps a little elitism going on there? :D. Personally, I think any song with the words "kiss my country ass'' is a GOOD song.

• Members

Let me say at the outset that I LOVE country music. But I HATE modern pop country for the most part. All of those guys are interchangeable as far as singing goes, IMO. It's funny, too, because modern country prides itself in being "honest"music for "real folks", but it's as plastic and contrived as any pop music ever thought of being. Guys like Steve Earl, David Alan Coe, Chris Knight, Cody Canada, and tons of others have been shut out because they don't sound like Blake/Toby/Kenny/Jason/Zac/Tim etc and they don't write sappy songs or songs built around a bumper sticker.

This is perfectly posted. Couldn't agree more. I love country music too. It's a frickin shame that mainstreamers must comply with the redneck celebration. I like a few songs about rural America and the backwoods, but geez...

• Members

I don't know what the appeal is, but I'd assume it's the same as the majority of popular musicians on top 40 charts. Why do you think this guy would be different?
:confused:

I don't. I was simply asking for a bit more detailed explanation since I don't follow country music much. I can tell you why Rihanna and Katy Perry are big stars. Shelton? I couldn't see it from his performance. I can see why Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw are stars---there's a large amount of charisma when they are on stage. Shelton, I didn't see it.

But a couple of people mentioned he picks great songs. That explains a lot. I didn't think "Over" was a great song particuarly, but again, maybe it just a weak performance of it.

• Members

True, but most can deliver the song with some punch and some power and emotion where it's needed. I thought he'd least be up to the level of the other big country stars: Keith Urban, Tim McGraw, etc.

I hate to judge a guy by one performance, but oddly enough, while he's got a dynamic personality on the TV show, he comes across as very wooden and boring while singing this song.

I dunno. Obviously he's doing SOMETHING right, or he wouldn't have 11 #1 hits, but I guess maybe I just expected more...

I really wanted to like his performance, but it didn't do anything for me.

My fiance has been dragging me to WE fest for the past 5 years. I have seen pretty much every top country act that WE fest has had to offer. I am appalled that you are all musicians and saying negative comments about a very good artist and would think there would be a little more acceptance into the work that this musician has put into the success of his career and have a little more musicianship.

Last 4 years the most memorable artists at WE fest:

Alan Jackson - Sorry still the man

Toby Keith - Kicks ass

Trace Atkins - Rocks the house

Kid Rock - Flew in on a chopper best show I've seen at WE fest

Brooks and Dunn - Fell asleep - boring

Save a horse ride a cowboy band (forget name) very good results on the younger crowd, enjoyed it.

Directx Bentley - Woman's man - One of my favorite (spelling wrong I know)

Sugarland - Excellent vocals and harmonies and very up beat.

Lyrnrd Skynrd - Same old same old

Brad Paisley - shut it down one year with "alcohol", very humorous, GREAT on the vocal side with awesome rock based purcussion.

Tim Mcgraw - Fell alseep boring

There are more but I'm stopping there....

These are the most memorable.

Re this post and this performance: He has to play live going into the set COLD with no warmup and on national TV, do you think maybe he was a bit nervous when he did the video? That is the only negative I see about this performance. Do you perform your best on all your first songs? I know I do better once I warm up. Sorry I had to post my thoughts and this matter.

• Members

Re this post and this performance: He has to play live going into the set COLD with no warmup and on national TV, do you think maybe he was a bit nervous when he did the video? That is the only negative I see about this performance. Do you perform your best on all your first songs? I know I do better once I warm up. Sorry I had to post my thoughts and this matter.

Well, I DID give him credit for being having a good personality on the TV show and stated that I didn't want to judge him just based on one performance before I gave my critique of that performance. So I think I was being pretty fair and not just crapping all over the guy.

As far as going into the set cold with no warmup on national TV....the irony there is that's what the TV show he's on is all about. Here he is judging and mentoring new singers--something which he appears to be good at---again, I like what he does on the show. But the first thing my wife said to me when we were watching him sing was "no way I'd turn my chair around for THAT!"

• Members

Well, I DID give him credit for being having a good personality on the TV show and stated that I didn't want to judge him just based on one performance before I gave my critique of that performance. So I think I was being pretty fair and not just crapping all over the guy.

As far as going into the set cold with no warmup on national TV....the irony there is that's what the TV show he's on is all about. Here he is judging and mentoring new singers--something which he appears to be good at---again, I like what he does on the show. But the first thing my wife said to me when we were watching him sing was "no way I'd turn my chair around for THAT!"

The guy is a big star ,, you need to get over yourself.

• Members

I don't. I was simply asking for a bit more detailed explanation since I don't follow country music much. I can tell you why Rihanna and Katy Perry are big stars. Shelton? I couldn't see it from his performance. I can see why Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw are stars---there's a large amount of charisma when they are on stage. Shelton, I didn't see it.

But a couple of people mentioned he picks great songs. That explains a lot. I didn't think "Over" was a great song particuarly, but again, maybe it just a weak performance of it.

I didn't quite get that new song either, plus his vocal seemed a bit buried (most of his qualities are "nuance" and "inflection", so if that is buried all you hear is "tone" and "pitch" some of which wasn't dead on.Not his greatest performance.)....also many country artists historically don't write their own material (which is why Nashville has such a large writer's community).

try this instead: at 2:32

[video=youtube;Q33YUxnGvwE]

Blake is one of the better vocalists in country today, He has pitch, pocket, tone, dynamics, and range. I was surprised at the range that he displayed at Saturday's "Stage Coach" festival (Coachella's country branch) none of which they capitalize on in recordings.

Can't defend the stiffness or the gimp left arm thing he does....I would guess that it's from years of singing and playing guitar. Now (w/out his instrument) he has to develop his frontman thing (in front of millions). I might point out that Springsteen without his Tele hasn't achieved Bono coolness either (even after all this time)....also keep in mind that Blake is essentially an adult or A/C type of country act and not a "rock band labeling themselves as new country" so we're not gonna get dynamic Pete Townsend esque performances out of him. Your Katy Perry- Rihanna parallell is not acurate, a better pop-country parallel for Blake would be Jewel-Norah Jones.

My perception of his success (aside from the song choices) is relatability and connecting with his tribe and core demographic. It also helps when you're managed by Starstruck and Narvel.