Post Good Band Website Designs- Need some ideas on how to present info

• Members

We use our website not just as an archive of past memories/performances but also as an online press kit. Last winter we finally redesigned our existing website that we had used for almost 10 years, with a flashy new site design in word press that is way more manageable. I'm not a designer, but I do manage the site. So easy ability to update is prime in my book.

http://www.nutsinablender.com

The design we came up with wasn't really what I had in my head however it is pretty functional... and function over form mattered to me. However what felt great in December I'm falling out of love with in May. I have no desire to change the theme or template I'm using but I'm feeling a little boxed in with the room I have set for navigation on the site. I'm open to any opinions on how to reorganize sections.

For instance I want to be able to create a new menu tab on top promoting weddings. We've done over 30, we have bride testimonials etc

To do that I'd have to relocate the 'Blog' page.

The Calendar Tab and Venues are under construction

I'd also like to include a Digital Press kit. I can include it under bookings. Just trying to organize it for easy enough navigation. I intend to finish those this week.

Any suggestions or input I'd appreciate... positive or negative. I'm on the site every single day so I need a fresh pair of eyes to finish this.

If you have a site design that you like whether yours or another band's please share.

• Members

Your top bar is too tall. That includes the logo. The total height of your logo and nav (preceding page content) should be about what is seen on Facebook, app. 150 pixels or so.

Use a wordpress menu plugin that allows you to "nest" menus, and include that plugin in a div beneath your logo, so it can be easily modified. That way the "top level" menu height never changes when you add "sub-items" to the menu.

• Members

I built this with a stock wp 2010 theme with a small mod to allow a varying height logo.

Now mind you, I didn't make the top graphic, and I do feel it is too tall!

But the menus that lay underneath are pretty much stock WP menus, and as you can see if you hover over them, I have nested items underneath the top-level categories.

Maybe this gives you some ideas?

http://www.pivotpro.net/blog/

• Members

Your top bar is too tall. That includes the logo. The total height of your logo and nav (preceding page content) should be about what is seen on Facebook, app. 150 pixels or so.

Use a wordpress menu plugin that allows you to "nest" menus, and include that plugin in a div beneath your logo, so it can be easily modified. That way the "top level" menu height never changes when you add "sub-items" to the menu.

Agreed.

• Members

We use our website not just as an archive of past memories/performances but also as an online press kit. Last winter we finally redesigned our existing website that we had used for almost 10 years, with a flashy new site design in word press that is way more manageable. I'm not a designer, but I do manage the site. So easy ability to update is prime in my book.

The design we came up with wasn't really what I had in my head however it is pretty functional... and function over form mattered to me. However what felt great in December I'm falling out of love with in May. I have no desire to change the theme or template I'm using but I'm feeling a little boxed in with the room I have set for navigation on the site. I'm open to any opinions on how to reorganize sections.

For instance I want to be able to create a new menu tab on top promoting weddings. We've done over 30, we have bride testimonials etc

I'd also like to include a Digital Press kit. I can include it under bookings. Just trying to organize it for easy enough navigation. I intend to finish those this week.

Any suggestions or input I'd appreciate... positive or negative. I'm on the site every single day so I need a fresh pair of eyes to finish this.

If you have a site design that you like whether yours or another band's please share.

Yeah, that works for me. Not too busy and lots of pictures. I like the calendar and recent pics up front where you have them. The only request I would have is that the main pic box be a little taller closing the space between the main pic and the header up top a bit more.

• Members

I built this with a stock wp 2010 theme with a small mod to allow a varying height logo.

Now mind you, I didn't make the top graphic, and I do feel it is too tall!

But the menus that lay underneath are pretty much stock WP menus, and as you can see if you hover over them, I have nested items underneath the top-level categories.

Maybe this gives you some ideas?

I don't think it's too tall, but after looking it makes mine look gigantic. Thanks for pointing that out. Definitely gives me some ideas about the layout.

• Members

I'm happy with ours:
jukejointhandmedowns.com

But I think there's a lot of variation depending on what you want the website to do. You're a "party band", so probably want something different from, say, an original band.

True.... but I'll take any ideas. I just need to tweak our site a bit more.

I'm not a fan of left side navigation... but I love your menu buttons. I wanted to click right down and see what was behind every logo. ;)

• Members

Just for reference, here's the site I'm working on: http://www.theretailgateway.com (well, one of the 10 that the co is doing that are related to the project). It is wordpress, BTW.

My .02:

The home header is pretty normal... I really don't think its that big. All in all the design is okay, though I don't like it when there is text over the BG as in the band page.

I like the site.

But I'm going to give some crit, just becasue I'm tired of writing the JSON adapter that I'm working on.

Ditch the "home" link from your header menu-- you can already get there through the logo (my analyitcs tell me that this is a pretty normal thing for most users) or the breadcrumb. Or the back button, for that matter.

Also, IMO, weddings ought to be a child to "bookings".

FWIW, your Home page scroller should be Calls to Action for things like: "book us for your wedding", or "we do corporate events", which should have their own pages. You should be directing folks to media from specific events from social channels, not from you home page, IMO, as it is specific people trying to get a pic of themselves.

And I'd have the EPK under that booking headings too.

There is no reason to publish under construction pages. IMO, your calender list is fine by itself, but if you want a big layout, make it work before publishing it.

Your media page leads to a dead end: imo, it would be more normal to have something like a landing page for media be "the best of the best", with links to "audio" best, "video" best, and then a category view of your videos. IMO, if you have more than one sub menu (I didn't like having to navigate that far for the promo videos), you should rethink things as it is a bad sign.

Finally, why isn't your site in your site root? It is a bad idea to have it be in /wordpress and not at / . It is pretty easy to move the site there... just make the change in /wp-admin/options-general.php and then copy the files into the root (BTW-- I am not taking any responsibility if you do that and it doesn't work for some reason :D)

All that said, I think that you have a nice, commercially viable site with a lot of things that will keep folks coming to it: there is a lot of dedication in getting a blog going and keeping your social media updated, so good on you for that.

• Members

I'd put it this way... what is the most important thing that you want your visitors to see? Stop right now and go here and tell me what I want MY visitors to see. I'm not saying thats what you need but it's pretty clear when you go to my site what's important- it's the dates.

Is it that GIANT slideshow image that takes up 1/4 of your page? If it is- that's cool. IMO as a designer and communications guy the slide show is there because someone at one point thought it was cool.

Take a peak at what you can do and how you can force people to look at what you want. You have soooo much room on this page to get your point across- don't be afraid of "white" space.

mock.jpg

• Members

I'd put it this way...
what is the most important thing that you want your visitors to see
? Stop right now and go
and tell me what I want MY visitors to see. I'm not saying thats what you need but it's pretty clear when you go to my site what's important- it's the dates.

Funny, I thought you wanted people to focus on your yellow hat/brown shirt ensemble...

Not seriously, but based on the color scheme of the text for your gig dates vs. background as compared to the picture (in uber-focus), the picture pops way more than the dates.

• Members

Funny, I thought you wanted people to focus on your yellow hat/brown shirt ensemble...

Not seriously, but based on the color scheme of the text for your gig dates vs. background as compared to the picture (in uber-focus), the picture pops way more than the dates.

Of course because that's what photos do. But I think you're splitting hairs here. After you're done looking at my ugly mug your eye travels to the dates in about a nano second. Even if it took longer there's basically nowhere else to go. The biggest thing is to determine what you want your site for. Most would agree it's to inform. The better sites figure out the simplest way to do that without clutter and noise getting in the way,

• Members

I'd put it this way...
what is the most important thing that you want your visitors to see
? Stop right now and go
here
and tell me what I want MY visitors to see. I'm not saying thats what you need but it's pretty clear when you go to my site what's important- it's the dates.

Is it that GIANT slideshow image that takes up 1/4 of your page? If it is- that's cool. IMO as a designer and communications guy the slide show is there because someone at one point thought it was cool.

Take a peak at what you can do and how you can force people to look at what you want. You have soooo much room on this page to get your point across- don't be afraid of "white" space.

mock.jpg

I hear you brother! That is the thing I like LEAST about this site design. It came with the template. I wanted more of a multiple media/info box going on but I lost out on a band vote. We're a busy band, we draw big crowds, we have an emphasis on media. So I figure at least I'll use the slider to message upcoming shows, weddings, etc. Being a local band in terms of social media we have a Facebook group and a profile page. The profile page is at 4400 friends and averaging 100-150 adds per month unsolicited. We use Twitter and FB to drive people back to the website.

• Members

Of course because that's what photos do. But I think you're splitting hairs here. After you're done looking at my ugly mug your eye travels to the dates in about a nano second. Even if it took longer there's basically nowhere else to go.

Agreed, however you asked what we thought you want your visitors to see, assuming that it would be obvious to everyone that you were indicating your upcoming dates.

However, based on the design/layout of your site, the picture is more dominant than the dates. So in a vacuum of information, it could appear you want people to see your picture. Stranger circumstances do exist on the web.

Splitting hairs? A nano second to move eyes to the dates?

Sure, absolutely.

But when people are cruising the web, (1) a nano second is enough time to click back (and off your site), etc., and (2) it's an objective and accurate critique/response to your point. If your #1 priority for your site is to communicate upcoming dates above and beyond everything/anything else, you're slightly missing the mark.

Does it matter in the long run? Probably not, but again, my eyes are different than yours, and I think you could try to tone down the pic somewhat and try to make the text for the gig dates pop more.

Archived