What songs are the bar-band standards in country music?

n9ne

• Members

You do, except people rarely mean just ANY old thing by the artist. Somebody comes up and requests Journey and they really only mean a small handful of their hit songs.

We are very request friendly. If we know it we do it. We have a huge catalog of songs. If its just somthing thats not up our ally you just say ,, thats a really great song , but we are sorry we dont do that one. Or say ,,we dont know that one , so we will do a song for you that you dont know ,, is that close enough?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We are very request friendly. If we know it we do it. We have a huge catalog of songs. If its just somthing thats not up our ally you just say ,, thats a really great song , but we are sorry we dont do that one. Or say ,,we dont know that one , so we will do a song for you that you dont know ,, is that close enough?

It's always good to make the audience happy, but Ward and guido both have a point here.

1. It's BAD to lose the audience for the sake of one person by doing a request that no one else would want to hear but that one person.

2. An "artist request" does indeed often mean one of three or four songs. If somebody asks for some "Toby Keith" and you play "Who's That Man".. that PROBABLY isn't what they meant. They meant "Little Less Talk", "I Love This Bar", or "Red Solo Cup", more than likely.

• Members

It's always good to make the audience happy, but Ward and guido both have a point here.

1. It's BAD to lose the audience for the sake of one person by doing a request that no one else would want to hear but that one person.

2. An "artist request" does indeed often mean one of three or four songs. If somebody asks for some "Toby Keith" and you play "Who's That Man".. that PROBABLY isn't what they meant. They meant "Little Less Talk", "I Love This Bar", or "Red Solo Cup", more than likely.

With toby its hard to tell what they want. He has had a bunch of hits. I think artists requests generally are made to give the band better odds of knowing a song by the artist. Most bands dont learn non hit songs,, they tend to pick the good ones. Every band is different ,, our bag is doing a lot of requests for people. Its a entertainment type show ,, rather than a backdrop to dancing. We reel em off just like any other band does at a dance type gig.

• Members

I usually get tipped so I DON'T play red solo cup ha, normally 5 bucks I tell them that'll hold it for 1 hour from not being played lol

• Members

ANY Zac Brown is hot right now- Chicken Fried, Toes and Knee Deep seem to go over wherever I am. No offense to anyone but I can't stand most country music. I just can't get enough of the Zac Brown Band though. Just like other good music- skip past the radio stuff and you'll {censored} yourself at the quality of musicianship and writing.

I'm right with you. Zac Brown is the only one in mainstream who really connects with me. I've never been a country fan... modern country even less. But I do like Alt-country. Sun Volt, Bottle Rockets... can you lump Mumford and Sons in that category? Bluegrass, folk, rockabilly, roots... you have my ear perked. Modern Country via Nashville and it's all formula.

Not here to debate because I am the least educated on this genre. I did date a mom in the mid 90's who was into Alan Jackson, Marty Stuart, Travis Tritt and tried to convert me. At the time I could only stomach Garth. That's all I know really. :(

• Members

:thu:
But it's good "club" music and if it works at the gig it gets played through my rig!

Who's to judge right? Do people think I'm fist pumping to Enrique Inglesis all day? Right now I'm listening in my iTunes album rotation to 'Powerslave' Iron Maiden, followed by Passion, Peter Gabriel... queued after that is Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree.

• Members

Who's to judge right? Do people think I'm fist pumping to Enrique Inglesis all day? Right now I'm listening in my iTunes album rotation to 'Powerslave' Iron Maiden, followed by Passion, Peter Gabriel... queued after that is Lightbulb Sun by Porcupine Tree.

LOL some people I talk to think I rock out constantly to Flo Rida and the like! I have to remind them that when I'm being paid I play what I play but when I am not it's usually something more non-mainstream. Right now at work I am in a Maiden mood myself. Somewhere In Time right now. :thu:

• Members

We always play a little hard to get when they request toes. Its always preceeded with some comments about , man that guy looks like he has never seen the beach. Then someone will say , he looks like a lumberjack. Then the front man says,, whats with the sock cap. Then we all conclude that he must be bald,,, then we do it.

• Members

This has been a very informative and helpful thread - and about country music, no less. Bravo, BSWTB.

As noted, it's a fractured genre, so I'll ante up a few standards that we do that we consider to be Altcountry. It's not really outlaw country, but it is somewhat anti-Nashville and outlaws are usually welcome. I consider this sub-genre to be a bit folkier and an outlet for indie/rock bands who have a lot of country in their roots - that they can revisit often. It's a nichier crowd, but a good, dedicated music loving crowd. And, at it's core, it's great country music, for those who've not heard. Here's our list of Altcountry Standards:

Let it Ride - Ryan Adams

Windfall - Son Volt

A Song for You - Gram Parsons

Box Full of Letters - Wilco

16 Days - WhiskeyTown

Wagon Wheel - OCMS

Ethylene - John Hiatt

New Madrid - Uncle Tupelo

Glad & Sorry - Golden Smog/Faces

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere - Neil Young

• Members

I hear ya.

Honestly about all I've listened to lately has been contemporary christian, classical/baroque and old country.

Archived