Clothing choices onstage

• Members

Hey guys, I play in an all originals poet trio and we recently had a discussion about clothing onstage. The lead singer/bassist and myself (guitarist/vocals) are pretty convinced that shorts have no place onstage. However, our drummer is wanting to wear shorts due to the heat. I totally understand were he's coming from and obviously won't legislate a uniform, I just really dislike the idea of shorts onstage.

Have you guys had an issue like this? What are your thoughts/how have you dealt with it? Thanks!

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

don't you think it depends on the venue and gig a little bit? We play some gigs in the summer where you'd look like a real goofball if you were wearing long pants.

No doubt. The place that's in question is an air conditioned indoor 200 seat venue. But yeah, if you're playing with the sun beating down on you and it's 90+ I'm all for shorts.

• Members

Yeah, our drummer typically wears shorts from May-September, inside or out. Our rule is that if it's outside in the summer, or if it's like 85 degrees and up (and humid), we'll wear shorts if we want to. I sweat like a whore in church no matter what I wear, so it doesn't really matter to me...

• Members

One of my bands has no drummer. We don't wear shorts onstage. The other band I am in is an electric blues trio. I don't care what the drummer wears. I played in a cover band 25 years ago. I think the drummer would wear shorts if it was warm but I don't think it was on a regular basis.

• Members

We generally don't wear shorts unless it's an outdoor thing in summer, but the drummer wears them almost all the time. The rest of us don't really care if he does. Behind the kit, he's not as visible and since he uses his feet to play almost as much as his hands, it gives him better mobility. Drummer gets a pass in my band.

• Members

Hey guys, I play in an all originals poet trio and we recently had a discussion about clothing onstage. The lead singer/bassist and myself (guitarist/vocals) are pretty convinced that shorts have no place onstage. However, our drummer is wanting to wear shorts due to the heat. I totally understand were he's coming from and obviously won't legislate a uniform, I just really dislike the idea of shorts onstage.

Have you guys had an issue like this? What are your thoughts/how have you dealt with it? Thanks!

The white cloth also reflects the sun!

• Members

If the setting is appropriate for a drummer to be shirtless in shorts, then so be it. But how each member dresses should be appropriate to the music. For Chanukah in 2011, we formed The Fedora Menorah and did a swing-themed set of Chanukah songs. We dressed to the nines in big band attired and it rocked. We looked big band, sounded big band and the crowd loved it. So much so that Fedora Menorah has been requested to make an appearance at other holiday celebrations.

Archived