Adding Music Videos to Live Performance

jcpatte2

• Members

So I've searched and searched but have come up empty handed.

I'm wondering about the legality/licensing of using the copyrighted/original music video onscreen in my cover band.

I figure you would need permission and that the venue's BMI/ASCAP licensing probably doesn't cover this. Anybody have any info about this process or can point in the direction to research it? I'm at a loss.

• Members

I dunno. You play copyrighted audio recordings during your break. And you play covers of copyrighted songs. So I'm not sure that playing the video would be really much different that either of those.

If it were me, I'd just do it until somebody with the authority told me I needed to stop and/or pay up.

But the first place I'd look for info would be the ASCAP website. They have a lot of detailed information about who needs to pay for what.

• Members

There was a regional band that displayed music videos of the songs they covered. Neat idea but I don't see them around any more... so maybe it was too much a pain in terms of production or the band didn't really sell... who knows.

Well, if you're doing video it doesn't seem to be any more of a pain than creating your own video content. Be it actual video footage or graphics. IMHO it might even be easier.

• Members

I dunno. You play copyrighted audio recordings during your break. And you play covers of copyrighted songs. So I'm not sure that playing the video would be really much different that either of those.

If it were me, I'd just do it until somebody with the authority told me I needed to stop and/or pay up.

But the first place I'd look for info would be the ASCAP website. They have a lot of detailed information about who needs to pay for what.

Thanks I'll get on there and check it out!

• Members

Well, if you're doing video it doesn't seem to be any more of a pain than creating your own video content. Be it actual video footage or graphics. IMHO it might even be easier.

No these were the actual artists videos just collected off You Tube. Some even had the Vevo banding at the bottom. Again, neat concept except, do you really want staring at a screen instead of connecting with you all evening.

• Members

Yeah I got that they were the actual videos, and that's what I'm contemplating doing as well. That's why I said I thought it would be easier to use that video content that's already been created versus creating your own or purchasing visual effects from another supplier.

I think you would need to purchase the video off iTunes or whatever to unbrand the Vevo stuff, and that it would be worth the extra $.

Interesting point about connecting with the audience. I'll have to give that some thought. Although off the top of my head I would think that if it was a giant video wall or something in a club it could get real confusing, fast. We'll be using (2) 60" LED TVs max so I just think it's another visual effect. IDK though. Thanks for the input.

• Members

I had that same idea a couple of years back-- "wouldn't it be cool to have, for example, The Cars video playing behind us while we do "Let's Go"?

I decided it wouldn't work for my band and would likely be a distraction. But I think it would be cool for especially an 80s concept band. Since part of the idea of an 80s band is to take people back to that time period, showing the original MTV videos would certainly help deliver that.

• Members

I decided it wouldn't work for my band and would likely be a distraction. But I think it would be cool for especially an 80s concept band. Since part of the idea of an 80s band is to take people back to that time period, showing the original MTV videos would certainly help deliver that.

Hmmm...

I resemble that remark, and personally I'd think I'd rather have screens showing other graphics (i.e., more like part of our light show) than the videos themselves.

• Members

Hmmm...

I resemble that remark, and personally I'd think I'd rather have screens showing other graphics (i.e., more like part of our light show) than the videos themselves.

Well, that's what we do with our video screen. Works great as part of the light show.

But as far a videos go? There would be a risk involved, that's for sure. Because it will certainly invite comparisons to the original versions. But I think it would be cool. But that's just my opinion on it.

• Members

I see both sides of this coin and would probably used both the actual video and graphics to an extent. I think it would be a cool between songs transition with videos that open with a short storyline though. I do modern country music and lots of videos begin this way.

• Members

I see both sides of this coin and would probably used both the actual video and graphics to an extent. I think it would be a cool between songs transition with videos that open with a short storyline though. I do modern country music and lots of videos begin this way.

I definately like the idea of incorporating video into your show. The 'big boys' have been doing that for years now and it's a way of incorporating other technologies that lower level original and cover bands probably should have been doing more of for years already.

Archived