Weekend Gig Report

• Members
Yep but it's tough because like clothing (lol) I have a stage persona that goes with the show. I have to have it or it would be boring and they could just go to a coffee house and see some dude playing The Byrds . Part of that is communicating both verbally and musically with people, trying to be likable and "cute", humorous and also serious at times when needed. It's all a big charade- for three hours I can basically be something for everyone. And that gets me private gigs
:)
I like everyone to feel comfortable enough to engage with me about tunes or requests but some don't know where the line is. The solo gigs are not for the faint of heart sometimes. You're most certainly "exposed" as a musician and as an individual.

Yeah, I can get what you're talking about. Sounds like you have a nice deal going on there, but I'm not sure how to help you maintain that line. Sounds like you need a roadie!

Do you have any regular fans who you can maybe enlist to help keep an eye on the stage area when they can?

• Members

Yeah, I can get what you're talking about. Sounds like you have a nice deal going on there, but I'm not sure how to help you maintain that line. Sounds like you need a roadie!

Do you have any regular fans who you can maybe enlist to help keep an eye on the stage area when they can?

I started carrying a gun... a water gun ;)

• Members

Do you ever get nervous when people come up to party and dance on stage? I seem to when that happens (believe it or not it does at my acoustic gigs)... lol I can't help but notice people
not
paying attention to gear and it gets me a little bit paranoid.- Not enough to show on my face but still somewhat nervous.

I'm always a little nervous about people being around gear! All too often, we're packed into spaces that simply don't leave alot of space for dancing bodies. Keyboard stands are designed to support "sitting" weight. Any sort of side impact and they're useless. I've had a dancer's "hip check" knock one end of my CP300 into my lap. Fortunately my chunky thighs came in handy and saved me from having to replace my $2K worth of keys.

Hell, my nervousness sometimes includes my own bandmates. As a private event act, we're often set up on "portable" riser type stages. Many of which aren't designed to support a half dozen, 200 lb guys jumping around on it. More than once I've had dancing bandmates manage to set my keyboard rig into a swaying motion that scared the living {censored} out of me.

Trip hazards (monitor wedges, cables, mike stand feet, pedalboards) can be very real for folks who aren't used moving amongst such things - especially drunk folks.

We encourage lots of crowd interaction. My "Superstars of Rock" project goes so far as to have one of those department store "foot locker" cases - filled with handheld purcussion (tamborines and shakers of all types) that our lead vocalist is constantly handing out to anybody on or near the dance floor who looks like they're into it. We also set up the "Wannabe" mic ... a microphone and monitor (it's on it's own monitor send ... but never in the FOH) that anybody who feels like singing along with is welcome to come up and howl along with us. When the party is at it's peak - it's pretty common that we "triple" in size with percussionists and "wannabees". We just do what we can to keep them on the periphery of the stage and not "deep" on stage where the fagile stuff is set up!

• Members

Nice man! Busy weekends are fun. Just played 2 duo shows thursday, a solo show and a full band show fri, and another full band show saturday. I sang lead for all of them. wowie

Good thing you only have to type here! Good on you for getting through so much!

• Members

Nice man! Busy weekends are fun. Just played 2 duo shows thursday, a solo show and a full band show fri, and another full band show saturday. I sang lead for all of them. wowie

Awesome! I love hearing that!

• Members

We also set up the "Wannabe" mic ... a microphone and monitor (it's on it's own monitor send ...
but never in the FOH
) that anybody who feels like singing along with is welcome to come up and howl along with us.

That. Is. Awesome.

• Members
I' We also set up the "Wannabe" mic ... a microphone and monitor (it's on it's own monitor send ... but never in the FOH) that anybody who feels like singing along with is welcome to come up and howl along with us.

People are so funny sometimes---our soundguy sometimes leaves this mic off and then doesn't get it turned up right away when some goober grabs it and starts yelling into it. But sure enough, if these people can't hear themselves yelling and singing horribly offkey out the mains, they'll start roaming the stage looking for other mics as if they are now owed a working mic because we pointed them towards the wannabe mic. They'll grab for mine and I'll point back to the one in their hand---"no that's your mic right there"--and they'll start to point at it and mouthing "IT DOESN'T WORK"... " :facepalm:

Dude....you're not REALLY part of the band, OK. We're just letting you up here to have a bit of fun and largely so your friends can laugh at you, anyway. Trust me. After they play back the video they are shooting of it? You'll be glad the mic wasn't turned on.....

Archived