What To Do?

vablows

• Members

So I have been with my band for nearly 3 years.

But as of late, there are no gigs and we never get together because no one wants to rehearse if there are no gigs.

I have had other offers to join other bands, but cannot commit to 2 bands at one time.

I also have spoken with my rhythm guitarist and drummer about forming our own side project (they both want to play more as well), but I am not sure how the my bass player, singer, and keyboard player would take this.

Any advice?

Should I just move on into a completely new project or risk bad feelings and vibes with current band members?

I have never been in this situation before and thought I might get some good advice here.

Thanks.

• Members

Well, my band has always had gigs so I don't want to commit to something new , then a month later have my band start picking up gigs again.

I would be stretched too thin, and I would have to choose at that point but either way I'd have an unhappy band in either direction when I quit so I'd rather avoid that.

• Members

Wow. If this was posted a year and a half ago I would have thought it was posted by the guitar player in my band!!! LOL

There & Back Again has been around for about 10 years now and most of the time we gigged 2X per month and we were happy about that. (lately we are doing 1X per month) About 2 years ago I decided I need to gig more but most of the other guys did not.

I tried a few different things in the meantime but by the beginning of 2011 Ostrich Hat was formed with our guitar player myself and our soundman on bass and vocals. We are A small 3 piece semi-acoustic band, we play smaller places plus set up and tear down is easy. We have been gigging around 4X per month since last summer, usually Friday nights. This has worked out with There & Back Again because they are a Saturday night band.

Lately Ostrich Hat is going so well I feel There & Back Again is kind of like a side project. Funny how it happens huh? But that's a whole other thing! :lol:

Now that doesn

• Members

Well, my band has always had gigs so I don't want to commit to something new , then a month later have my band start picking up gigs again.

I would be stretched too thin, and I would have to choose at that point but either way I'd have an unhappy band in either direction when I quit so I'd rather avoid that.

What are the odds that the band with no gigs will suddenly start picking up gigs again? Does that band market itself or are you just waiting for the phone to ring? It is difficult for a new band to get gigs without calling bars about playing. I'd talk to the rest of the guys to see if they even want to play out anymore. This might be much a much easier decision than you think.

No gigs = no rehearsals = no gigs. No gigs + rehearsals + marketing = gigs. Simple math to me. Waiting around for a phone call without rehearsing is a mistake if you guys really want to play.

• Moderators

Should I just move on into a completely new project or risk bad feelings and vibes with current band members?

Yes, you should.

What "risk" exactly? It sounds like they're risking your bad feelings and vibes pretty successfully. Sinking ship protocol: "Hey guys! The ship's going down! Jump on board this lifeboat with me!!!! Wait... whatdoyoumean NO?!?!?! OK then... see ya."

• Members

Just get everyone together and discuss it. Tell them that you'd like to gig more - and maybe even get the other guys who feel like you do to mention they'd like to gig more, also. Then ask what everyone's feelings would be if some of you were to put together a side project. There really doesn't have to be any animosity if you're upfront and everyone knows what your priorities are. Occasionally you'll get somebody who is petty and jealous that doesn't want to see you be successful or happy but from the sound of it these guys are way too complacent to go to that much trouble.

• Members

I have never been in this situation before and thought I might get some good advice here.

Thanks.

It sounds like your loyalty to your band and not wanting to upset the apple cart is holding you back. Put yourself first, you want to enjoy playing music.

Archived