SCORE - a pair of LS801Ps for $1200 - good deal, yes?

mstreck

• Members

A pair.. absolutely. Total workhorses... they throw thump for miles. Buy the pair but you'll probably consider just using one sub for most events. Your tops will have trouble keeping up with their output as a pair. Plus they weigh over 130lbs each. Easy to manuver on rolling casters but lifting is a two man operation.

I'm biased but I think it's the best sub in that range/class. A pair new would run you $2200... plus tax. Reliable too. We've had our LS800p's for nearly 7 years now... and you seriously can't kill these beasts.

• Members

There's probably more expert advice to be had from live sound & production on this one. :)

...But I use the 801. You really must know you're ok with the logistical implications in those -- You have to count on two people for many situations. A hand truck is still better than their little wheels, though, they are really handy.

No complaints about its performance. Perhaps not the best sounding sub in the price range, but really powerful. And sometimes that's what I'd rather have. This person is your friend right? Test these babies out! (if you haven't already)

• Members
A pair.. absolutely. Total workhorses... they throw thump for miles. Buy the pair but you'll probably consider just using one sub for most events. Your tops will have trouble keeping up with their output as a pair. Plus they weigh over 130lbs each. Easy to manuver on rolling casters but lifting is a two man operation.

I'm biased but I think it's the best sub in that range/class. A pair new would run you $2200... plus tax. Reliable too. We've had our LS800p's for nearly 7 years now... and you seriously can't kill these beasts.

usually you can put one end in the door and then just lift the other end in by yourself. Certainly it is easier with 2 people though. I used to put my 18" e-horns in my van by myself quite often and they weigh about 160lbs each. There is a local band that uses 2/side and they work pretty well. Pretty close to what I can do with 4 e-horns powered by a pair of PLX3000s, although the e-horns seem to go a little lower in frequency, probably due to better air hookup/phasing and a longer box.

• Members

Vinny and Bobby1Note have great advice over in Live Sound for crossover settings and what to scoop in the EQ as initial settings. IMO thats an outstanding price for the pair IF they are fully functional. What are your mid highs you'll run over them?

• Members

Mike,

The other advantage is that you can drop subs from your rack amps, which means you can use them to power more speakers (monitor or mains).

That's the plan. :thu: We've been running one side of our Crown for tops and one side for subs. We're eventually going to bi-amp the tops. For now, we can run the tops in stereo until we get an amp for the tweeters. Gonna be paying this off for a couple of months, though.

• Members

That's the plan.
:thu:
We've been running one side of our Crown for tops and one side for subs. We're eventually going to bi-amp the tops. For now, we can run the tops in stereo until we get an amp for the tweeters. Gonna be paying this off for a couple of months, though.

Seriously think it's worth the investment. Down the road you can move to some QSC's or JBL powered for the tops if you want to forgo all of the amps in the rack.

I saw a band last night that had powered QSC tops and subs but they were running their monitors off a Crown power amp and having all kinds of problems. Not sure if it was heat or humidity or the mixing board but they having tons of issues. I think the amp kept shutting down. Good band but they were frustrated.

• Members

Seriously think it's worth the investment. Down the road you can move to some QSC's or JBL powered for the tops if you want to forgo all of the amps in the rack.

I saw a band last night that had powered QSC tops and subs but they were running their monitors off a Crown power amp and having all kinds of problems. Not sure if it was heat or humidity or the mixing board but they having tons of issues. I think the amp kept shutting down. Good band but they were frustrated.

The long-term goal is to have 100% powered speakers/monitors. We're all too poor to be able to do that right now. :facepalm:

• Members

Vinny and Bobby1Note have great advice over in Live Sound for crossover settings and what to scoop in the EQ as initial settings. IMO thats an outstanding price for the pair IF they are fully functional. What are your mid highs you'll run over them?

Right now, we have Jbl 415s (I think).

• Members

Just tested them and they are DEFINITELY a major upgrade to our PA! I have to give my friend credit - one of his bandmates offered to buy them (and pay him in full) after I made arrangements to make payments and he said that he had already promised them to us. Great guy!

• Members

Um... your drummer will love them. If testing inside I'd remove all the glasses from the cabinets.
:D

You aren't kidding! We tested them outside next to the garage and THOSE windows were shaking!

• Members

Congratulations on the score of the 801's! Have you been running your MP415's full range or with a crossover and other/rental subs previously to this? If no subs, I'd outline your signal chain (type of mixer, GEQ, crossover etc...) over on Live Sound to get some advice on best practice with this combination. The last thing you want is for your subs to outrun your tops. Don't worry, they won't bite! 800/801's have a pretty good rep over there although you'll get some that will tell you to trade 'em in on more of the orange badge!

• Members

Congratulations on the score of the 801's! Have you been running your MP415's full range or with a crossover and other/rental subs previously to this? If no subs, I'd outline your signal chain (type of mixer, GEQ, crossover etc...) over on Live Sound to get some advice on best practice with this combination. The last thing you want is for your subs to outrun your tops. Don't worry, they won't bite! 800/801's have a pretty good rep over there although you'll get some that will tell you to trade 'em in on more of the orange badge!

They are replacing a pair of Behringer B1800X subs, so it's quite a step up. :thu: We're going to set up early on Saturday and adjust the crossover (we have Behringer's version of the driverack). Just have to be careful to keep things balanced, like you said.

Our drummer is the best sound guy I know - great ears for EQ. I have faith that he'll set it up right.

Archived