When will they listen?

mstreck

• Members

How much do you guys need to "struggle" with your band about song selection? I suggest a lot of gems and many times they don't see it until it's too late.

I've been trying to get our band to do "We Are Young" for months now - and our bass player was the only person really on board. Last night, I had it in our break music and about 15 girls went up to the stage and were dancing and singing to it. Drummer looks at me and goes "yeah". Not that he was really opposed to it before, but that was the icing on the cake. Our other guitar player and I will be getting together to arrange it this week - finally!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

sometimes they never listen and sometimes it just takes some things like you just described to show them the song will work . I have been dealing with this for almost 10 years now because some of the musicians in tba are a lot older than me . right now ostrich hat is a little different we will give any song a shot once

• Members

Not really at all; we all 'get' the overall genre/era we're covering, and I think everyone is on the same page as far as recognizing which songs are more known/iconic (and thus, will likely get a bigger reaction, etc.). We'll throw something that's not quite there in every once in a while (as far as former popularity), but there's no shortage of songs we could and should do, and I don't think anybody would disagree with any of them...our discussions (but not disagreements) on song selection are few/far between, and almost always revolve around how to most appropriately handle the song with our lineup/instrumentation.

• Members
How much do you guys need to "struggle" with your band about song selection? I suggest a lot of gems and many times they don't see it until it's too late.

I've been trying to get our band to do "We Are Young" for months now - and our bass player was the only person really on board. Last night, I had it in our break music and about 15 girls went up to the stage and were dancing and singing to it. Drummer looks at me and goes "yeah". Not that he was really opposed to it before, but that was the icing on the cake. Our other guitar player and I will be getting together to arrange it this week - finally!

never heard of it. Who does it?

• Members

never heard of it. Who does it?

Must be by "fun"? This band must have a keyboard player :confused: ?

I've had that requested in the past few months at multiple shows.

Opinion: it's ok I guess just not a big fan of marching band drum line filled with keys with hip hop recording influence. Must be appealing because of radio time? :confused:

• Members

Opinion: it's ok I guess just not a big fan of marching band drum line filled with keys with hip hop recording influence. Must be appealing because of radio time?
:confused:

It's appealing because it has an irresistible hook. ("Toni...iii...iiight....We are young.....") Maybe it's easier for a singer? I keep my car stations tuned to various channels, and if I hear a song (new or old) that I can't help but sing along to (or imitate a particularly memorable instrumental part), it goes right to the top of the candidate list.

• Members

Must be by "fun"? This band must have a keyboard player
?

Opinion: it's ok I guess just not a big fan of marching band drum line filled with keys with hip hop recording influence. Must be appealing because of radio time?

More so just because of the general appeal of anthem rock songs. This song is popular more for its similarity to things like "We Will Rock You" than it's other influences I would venture.

• Members
Must be by "fun"? This band must have a keyboard player
?

doesn't sound like anything remotely usable for out style. Maybe more for variety bands?

• Members

umm i have been doing this solo for a while. Just guitar. sheesh people it WAS THE NUMBER ONE SONG for how long????

If your just learning it now your late. My opinion. I already stopped playing it because its in that way overplayed stage.

if you youtube it there is an acoustic version. I basically followed that sped it up a bit.

• Members

umm i have been doing this solo for a while. Just guitar. sheesh people it WAS THE NUMBER ONE SONG for how long????

If your just learning it now your late. My opinion. I already stopped playing it because its in that way overplayed stage.

if you youtube it there is an acoustic version. I basically followed that sped it up a bit.

Crap. I'm late. :eek:

• Members

on the pop charts, or what?

• Members

our trio added it a few weeks ago. Yep, without keys. :thu: It is working well.

We medley it with Somebody I used to Know by Goyte (kicked up a bit) and What makes you beautiful by One Direction. All 3 are getting a nice response.

• Members

Totally playable without keys... I've seen many bands do it and cover it nicely. We got on this one early (mid-March) and it's doing fine in our set. We have this medleyed with "Fire and Rain", "Rolling In The Deep", "Hello".

Always incites a lot of crowd participation

[video=vimeo;42053035]

• Members

Something else that has helped us immensely during song selection is voting on songs. Each week we submit three songs each member would like to do. We have six players so that's 18 songs. We submit them to our manager along with a link to a You Tube video. He drops them into a Google Forms Survey... we all vote anonymously. The top three are chosen... no questions asked, no rebuttals or protests. If you songs didn't get picked this round, well, submit them again next week. Our guitarist who is a HUGE Dave Navarro fan submits "Jane Says" every voting round and it always gets voted down. We always laugh over the submission. I suggested the 'Final Countdown for years and band members laughed at me. I submitted as one of my choices in a voting round and it was picked :idk: Maybe they were all too embarrassed to admit they wanted to try it.

• Members
Something else that has helped us immensely during song selection is voting on songs. Each week we submit three songs each member would like to do. We have six players so that's 18 songs. We submit them to our manager along with a link to a You Tube video. He drops them into a Google Forms Survey... we all vote anonymously. The top three are chosen... no questions asked, no rebuttals or protests. If you songs didn't get picked this round, well, submit them again next week. Our guitarist who is a HUGE Dave Navarro fan submits "Jane Says" every voting round and it always gets voted down. We always laugh over the submission. I suggested the 'Final Countdown for years and band members laughed at me. I submitted as one of my choices in a voting round and it was picked
:idk:
Maybe they were all too embarrassed to admit they wanted to try it.

Jane Says has always been a great singalong song around here. We finally started doing it occasionally because of so many requests.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think we'd ever do that one just because of the weird timing changes. Also it seems to pretty much be on the downward slide, although it does sound like one of those tunes that may hang around for a while.

And for the guys that always ask what song is that, never heard of it, who does it, etc whenever these threads come up, there's this cool site where you can plug in song titles and hear the songs. www.youtube.com

• Members
Yeah, I don't think we'd ever do that one just because of the weird timing changes. Also it seems to pretty much be on the downward slide, although it does sound like one of those tunes that may hang around for a while.

And for the guys that always ask what song is that, never heard of it, who does it, etc whenever these threads come up, there's this cool site where you can plug in song titles and hear the songs.
www.youtube.com

there is also that deal sometimes where there are several very different songs with the same title.

• Members

I've got a lot more say in my current lineup, but I've also got 4 other guys who will do ANY song that gets a great audience response and will get us further on to where we need to be in the future.

With respect to the song in Mike's OP, obviously my country band can't do it, but it's one of several guilty pleasures I listen to in the car on my wife's ipod on family trips. Somebody I Used to Know is another...seriously:facepalm:

• Members

there is also that deal sometimes where there are several very different songs with the same title.

I love ya brother but we're just going to call that response "weak". I think we can both admit that... ;) I bet you can find any song you want on youtube with very little information.

• Members
I love ya brother but we're just going to call that response "weak". I think we can both admit that...
;)
I bet
you
can find any song you want on youtube with very little information.

well, I did ask my bass player to learn a song once because I wanted to play it the following weekend. I figured he knew which song I was talking about. Just as we were going to start it, I verified the chord structure and key with him and found out that he learned a completely different song.

Archived