Band re-boot

992gnt

• Members

Most of you know how my last band ended, and it was a decade-later re-boot with 2 of the original 4 members (me not being one of them). Coincidentally enough, I will be getting together with some old bandmates of mine for yet another re-boot situation. Currently 3 of the original 5 are on board, the 4th is open to the idea, and no one has heard from the 5th. We broke up a couple years ago due to lack of practice time, and an unwillingness to add material that would get us booked anywhere except the local hard rock club.

These items will be on the agenda when we all sit down, but the question is - does this ever work? :confused:

• Members

It did for me once long long ago. A band I was in around 79/80 broke up due to disagreements about the future direction of the band. A year or so later we were offered good money to do a "reunion" gig for an event and we all realized that that band was better than what any of us had been doing since, so we decided to give it another go with a more solid focus on direction.

I personally only stayed with that band another year or so, but they went on without me for quite awhile.

• Members

I was out of a band for about three months and then was back in. We're still going strong a couple years later. You just have to make sure that learning has taken place between incarnations. Otherwise it'll be the same old problems.

• Members

Well 4 out of the 5 of us got together today. It was fun and it didn't suck :thu: We are still waiting to hear if our original drummer is in or not, but I think everyone is on board to give it another try. The big issues last time around were a failure to add new music and rehearsal turning into show the other guy how the song goes. Both of issues and a couple others (NO MUSIC STAND!) were brought up and everyone was in agreement. This will never be a pop/dance band, but what we did we did very well, so adding some updated tunes should be just what the Dr ordered. Time to roll up the sleeves and get started. Targeting late winter/early spring to hit the stage.

• Members

We had only 44 songs on the set list when we quit (another issue). I'd imagine we are keeping less than 10 of those. This time around we want to have at least 55 or so before we start gigging, and only 2 of us have done any playing since we dis-banded 2-1/2 years ago. So there is some rust to knock off, and I will gladly take an extended time getting ready over rushing things and delivering a half-baked product. If it comes together quicker that will be great, but I won't book anything until we're really ready.

• Members

Good luck, man - if anything, hopefully it gets you inspired and excited. I'd view reforming a band a lot like getting back together with an ex-girlfriend: you know why it ended last time, and is that problem TRULY gone? Or just "yeah, it won't be like that again"?

If it were me, I wouldn't re-form unless I was 100% that every party was involved was on the same page as me. Otherwise, just gig on occasion for fun and a few bucks.

• Members

Practice #2 today. Brought in another drummer as the original drummers wife won't let him play, and our singer, who is a pretty good drummer, doesn't do both well. The guy we brought in fit like a glove, sing lead and harmonies and is a very solid player. We all want him back, hopefully it's mutual (seemed like it was). We have a few things to work out like the noise gate on the guitarists GSP1101 - I had to ask if it had one...and if he knew how to use it, (yes and no) and finding room for all the singers (4) in the band. Should make for some killer multi-part harmonies though. Singer is still suggesting songs like Cat Scratch Fever though. :facepalm: He just doesn't know what's current and fits where we are going yet.

• Members

Singer does everything from his soul brotha, maybe a little cat scratch fever be a good warm up to get in the mood so to speak? That song is dead and buried I think, may work at 12:45 if the crowd's OLD people like me (and I'm drunk) and you don't suck.

• Members

Practice #2 today. Brought in another drummer as the original drummers wife won't let him play, and our singer, who is a pretty good drummer, doesn't do both well. The guy we brought in fit like a glove, sing lead and harmonies and is a very solid player. We all want him back, hopefully it's mutual (seemed like it was). We have a few things to work out like the noise gate on the guitarists GSP1101 - I had to ask if it had one...and if he knew how to use it, (yes and no) and finding room for all the singers (4) in the band. Should make for some killer multi-part harmonies though. Singer is still suggesting songs like Cat Scratch Fever though.
:facepalm:
He just doesn't know what's current and fits where we are going yet.

What sort of noise problems is he having? I just started using that unit I bought this weekend, and it's pretty damn quiet. There are a couple of noisy patches---the REALLY distorted ones---but other than that it's pretty quiet.

But yeah, there's a gate in the effects section you can program for every patch.

The online manual is here if he doesn't have his. It explains how to use it.

http://www.digitech.com/system/documents/2/original/GSP1101Manual18_0474_B.pdf?1286481757

• Members

Les Paul into GSP, into JCM 900, into a 4x12. It's a sledgehammer of a rig. He's just never set up the noise gate on any of his patches, so when he cranks it up, while standing 2 feet in front of the cabinet there is all kinds of noise going on. I asked if the unit had them, he yes but he has to figure them out. So at least he understands that he needs to do some work. I was using lots of terms like balance and crispness with respect to the overall sound. Setting expectations without using a hammer.

• Members

Singer does everything from his soul brotha, maybe a little cat scratch fever be a good warm up to get in the mood so to speak? That song is dead and buried I think, may work at 12:45 if the crowd's OLD people like me (and I'm drunk) and you don't suck.

We winged playing Stranglehold last year because some drunk dude yelled out for Nugent. We had never played it together.

It went so well we kept it. It goes over great. You need one or two old rockers in between the dance stuff. People will respond (unless you're playing for 20 year old girls).

Archived