Walk me thru logistics of playing as solo artist with backing tracks

niceguy

• Members

It's not a matter of them knowing or not. It's a matter of them not knowing enough about the details of the process to care.

Say I'm watching a performer playing to tracks with my wife. I'm not really enjoying it because I think the tracks sound stale and, in my view, detract from the performance. But my wife still really enjoys it. So I take the time to explain to her the process. "You see, hun...he's playing to recorded tracks. They sound stiffer than what real musicians would play, they sound exactly the same every time, and there's no human interaction. AND he's using a cheap, outdated system that doesn't possess near the sonic reproduction that it should."

So now she "knows". Do you think it will really change her perception of the performance? It might, only the degree that I have now put a wet blanket over something she was hoping we were both enjoying, but I really don't think her having the information will degrade her perception. Why? Because, since she's not a musician, she can't "know" on the same level as those of us who fully understand the process.

And since the performance isn't really intended for us, what we think as trained professionals really isn't particularly meaningful.

One of the reasons I hired a backing band for a performance I did a few years ago was for exactly that reason: the discrepancy between how the "average" person interprets a performance and how a musician interprets that same performance. I knew that the audience I was playing to would have a high-percentage of musicians. The sort who stand in front of the stage with their arms crossed just waiting for you to f-up so they can say, "I could have done that better." :lol:

And I was right. The scowling prog-heads were out in force that night, and tracks probably would have been a disaster. Heck, they were so ruthless they boo'd the following act off the stage because they didn't like his sense of humor and he wasn't "progressive" enough. :freak:

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nah, not a smackdown at all. I was just using you as an example cause you work a lot and make your living playing. I know you can get more gigs as a solo-same with me. I've expanded my opportunities by being able to gig with different numbers of players. I also know that many public gigs won't pay for the extra guys, but private gigs usually do. You may in fact be adorable, but sadly, your just not my type:wave: That's why I think if you add a hot looking, geetar playing, awesome singing girl, you'll do very well on some gigs.

Martin coming in laying the smack down! I love it
;)

I see what you're saying but it's not just true to this area- and I'm not sure how many areas that this line of thinking is correct. I know I look young and adorable but this isn't new to me in Western NY. This is like year 26 or something. I ended up as "solo guy" because it's the most profitable. Duo and trios are making slightly more than me in Buffalo and I'm pretty inexpensive for the little show I put on. I've always done duos but the money just isn't there to help support the family.

As far as opening more opportunities, nobody around here can book me in a duo or trio 15-20 dates a month. I don't have to travel more than an hour either. As far as originals go, I've sold a good chunk of CD's locally and had some decent airplay with a tune for about 12 months and that was cool. This is where I landed and I'm content with it
;)

• Members

I also know that many public gigs won't pay for the extra guys, but private gigs usually do.

Yep. It makes perfect sense to most people that they will have to pay more for a 6-piece band rather than a 3-piece. And most people also automatically assume that 6-piece will be "better".

Most clubowners, on the other hand, don't care. They just want to fill a particular slot within a particular budget. They couldn't care less if you're a trio or a full orchestra.

• Members

Picking nits in a silent room.

Yes, pointing out that the case you were trying to make didn't actually hold any water because it wasn't true is picking nits.

For f&%ks sake Wade, with all your faux bravado and posturing on this site, one might think you were at least enough of a man to admit when you're categorically wrong and utterly out of your element about something.

Clearly not so.

I guess that's just not in the 'stay humble' playbook, is it?

Chump.

• Members

Too bad nobody took the time to watch Thomas Dolby work live with tracks.

The op is no doubt long gone: nobody really answered his question.

I like how Dolby doesn't abuse tracks. He also uses a lot of layering, which you can really see and hear when he sings the chorus: note how harmony vocals come in when he hits a chord in the chorus. He's using an m audio controller to trigger percussion as well as looped tracks, and he also has some blues harp phrases assigned to the various Pads which he uses to construct a realistic sounding harp solo.

In short: he keeps it engaging and there is no doubt that he is constructing music up there.

I reckon that touches a little on logistics. Kb mag did a great write up on Dolby a few years back with a lot of rig and setup details.

• Members

Yes, pointing out that the case you were trying to make didn't actually hold any water because it wasn't true is picking nits.

For f&%ks sake Wade, with all your faux bravado and posturing on this site, one might think you were at least enough of a man to admit when you're categorically wrong and utterly out of your element about something.

Clearly not so.

I guess that's just not in the 'stay humble' playbook, is it?

Chump.

Wrong about what? Front and center doesn't mean literally front and center. The synths are always very visible in their shows and last I checked they were still using arp 2600's for percussion and other sounds. Real old school. They hype it in interviews and don't hide the synths live.

Chump? Yeah I'm a chump for wasting time on this drivel instead of studying my tonal harmony book. Carry on, the woodshed is calling

• Members

Wrong about what? Front and center doesn't mean literally front and center. The synths are always very visible in their shows and last I checked they were still using arp 2600's for percussion and other sounds. Real old school. They hype it in interviews and don't hide the synths live.

Chump? Yeah I'm a chump for wasting time on this drivel instead of studying my tonal harmony book. Carry on, the woodshed is calling

Wow.

Even less man than I figured.

Didn't think that was possible.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I say yes use the backing tracks. I have been a professional musician for over 50 years. And it the process I have played on stage with people like BB King, Bob Seger, The Drifters, and others. I have been in bands that motown offered recording deals to. I have been in and out of over 25 different bands. And it is always the same. One guy wants to do this the other wants to do that. And it falls apart. But I want to play. I can play all the instruments myself. All I need is a few players that hold it together to make it the gigs. and do their part the way it is suppose to be. In key and on time. Improvise if you want as long as it fits that you know the rest of the band is doing. But it is very hard to find a few players that can actually play with out copy a recording . F that. So if you can play and the audience likes your music and it can not get there without you doing backing tracks. Then what else is there to do. ?? I play all I want to play and at the best paying places. Because I do it a way that is silly. The meaning of that is most solo players go out with a PA that is usable for a solo acoustic act and try and make it work for a full blown production of music live, Using backing tracks. Make no mistake when you do this you are running head on to full bands. and if you don't blow them away. Your sunk. How you do it is use speakers that can be tuned to the room your playing and have a subwoofer to fill in the bottoms. And make sure you are doing the songs correctly. If you can't play Jimi Hendrix the way hendrix did it or better don't even try. Do the bee gees or something. Bit it can be done I am doing it and I make more than most people do working a full 40 hours I make that in less than 10 hours a week. Playing the music I like with no head ache from flaky musicians. You can use any kind of blue tooth mp3 player with a blue tooth pedal to activate. When I first did it the way I did it was with midi I made the files and used a midi file player and a roland synth. Now it is so simple. All you need is a blue tooth player and a blue tooth foot pedal. And don't worry about the players that say you are not making music. Because club owners love it. you can control your volume, and play and sound great all the time Use every effect that works for you. and don't give the competition a break.

Archived