RIP Jon Lord

jamieb

• Members

I remember that one, and most of those articles, too. It was originally intended to be a more accessible, low-brow version of Keyboard , targeted for beginner-to-intermediate keyboard players, and IMO the articles you mentioned didn't hurt it in that regard. But it got WAY off track- one of the last issues featured avante-garde pianist Cecil Taylor.

Question for Wade: So you transcribe and play Deep Purple/Boston/Kansas etc. note-for-note or pretty close.. what made you take up the BASS? No work for keyboard guys in your locale? Just curious..

And FWIW, my favorite example of JL's playing is what he did on "Hush". I've never even attempted to copy that one, but it's always been an inspiration. Love the "conga-slapping" thing- it's a little harder to sound like that on most ROMplers.

• Members

Question for Wade: So you transcribe and play Deep Purple/Boston/Kansas etc. note-for-note or pretty close.. what made you take up the BASS? No work for keyboard guys in your locale? Just curious..

I got a call from a friend to play bass and wound up gigging steady for 3 years.

Honestly Keys were a bit of a struggle for me I had to practice daily to keep up my chops and play cleanly and with confidence. With bass I can put it down for a month and pick it up and be right whee I was before.

• Members

I got a call from a friend to play bass and wound up gigging steady for 3 years.

Honestly Keys were a bit of a struggle for me I had to practice daily to keep up my chops and play cleanly and with confidence. With bass I can put it down for a month and pick it up and be right whee I was before.

I'm just the opposite. Bass is something I have to work on, but I can get on a keyboard without being near one for months and I'm ready to go.

• Members
I got a call from a friend to play bass and wound up gigging steady for 3 years./QUOTE]

Cool! No doubt bass players are a little higher on the food chain and multi-instrumentalism is something I admire. It would help my new project out for me to be one (my occasional harp tooting doesn't really count) so I am going to give it a go. Just about every keys player on here doubles on guitar so if YOU guys can do it..:poke::D

• Members

Cool! No doubt bass players are a little higher on the food chain and multi-instrumentalism is something I admire. It would help my new project out for me to be one (my occasional harp tooting doesn't really count) so I am going to give it a go. Just about every keys player on here doubles on guitar so if YOU guys can do it..:poke:
:D

Go for it man! I always say that what I lack in talent I make up for with charisma. It's very true!

I think I still have the specter of my piano teacher haunting me. She was so exacting and I would work all summer on my recital pieces. I've never gotten over that so even when I learned "cool" stuff I was always really self conscious about my pedaling and hand position. No amount of external praise or kudos can overcome this. I just don't hear it; means nothing to me. Not so on bass or guitar. Guilt.

• Members

Go for it man! I always say that what I lack in talent I make up for with charisma. It's very true!

QUOTE]

I'm just the opposite. What I lack in charisma, I make up with..SOMETHING, hopefully. For myself, I reject middle-aged "pretending I'm a rock-star" affectations as ridiculous, laughable BS. The best I can do is get into the music and let the rest take care of itself. But I DO like to see people on stage that have that honest, unpretentious "X" factor- my rock organ heroes John Lord and Greg Rolie have (had) oodles of it.

• Members

I'm just the opposite. What I lack in charisma, I make up with..SOMETHING, hopefully. For myself, I reject middle-aged "pretending I'm a rock-star" affectations as ridiculous, laughable BS. The best I can do is get into the music and let the rest take care of itself. But I DO like to see people on stage that have that honest, unpretentious "X" factor- my rock organ heroes John Lord and Greg Rolie have (had) oodles of it.

We're probably more alike than you think. I definitely don't do the rock star wannabe deal. I just have a lot of energy naturally. But on keys it's hard to express because you're just kind of standing there. So on keys it's different for me; all about the music ultimately like you say.

Archived