It ain't love, but it ain't bad!

CliffordN

• Members

Been sitting around here trying to get all of the pieces together to play some modern Country, for quite some time now, with very limited and unsatisfactory results.

But, I did make contact with a fellow who invited me to come over and check out some Bluegrass players that have been meeting at his place for a few weeks.

He also sent a sample play list, which included some Southern Rock tunes, and some older Country stuff. That sealed it, because I really wanted to hear how they wrangled them into the Bluegrass genre.

So, yesterday evening, I made my way over there, and found myself in a room full of banjos, mandolins, fiddles, and just about everything else but a jug!

And, the group ranged from a Jerry Garcia look alike, to John Boy Walton, and even included a fellow who was 82... But, that old man could light up a mandolin, and had quite a history of playing with some big time older Country musicians..

Anyway, this all turned into a late night of playing an odd assortment of songs, and letting everyone stretch it out a bit.

We played Blues, Country, Bluegrass, Southern Rock, and quite a few hymns... All we needed was Elvis and a piano to cover more ground! All but one of the players could sing, and the harmony, considering that we were just letting it happen, was very good.

I think I might just have to push this one along, to see where it takes me...

• Members

That sounds like a riot! A few years ago I'd meet a bunch of friends at a local violin shop on Sunday mornings at 7am. We'd sit around talk about music and family and drink coffee and play bluegrass. There were no gigs- we just played. It was fiddle, snare with brushes, mando and about 3 of us that played acoustic. Once in awhile we'd get a friend to play upright. It was some of the best times I had has a player.

• Members

Good on ya Clifford! :thu: I remember a CL ad some time ago about a weekly bluegrass jam in my hood- must have been your group, pics showed everything you describe! My new band has been working up new country songs 4-6 nights a week for the last month, preparing for our debut as the house band at Pops tomorrow night. Although some of it seems tacked on and perfunctory, almost every song has banjo/mandolin/dobro on it (sadly, little keys or harp) and we might need to enlist a multi-instrumentalist. But mainly, I just want to check it out, this music business BS be damned.

And if anyone uses my mention of new country as an excuse to hijack Clifford's thread into a bunch of crap about "new country sucks blah blah" I will hunt them down and hit them over the head with my music stand.:evil:

• Members

I just realized I omitted the acoustic bass. Jerry Garcia played that, along with almost every other instrument. Without a doubt, this group includes some of the most accomplished musicians I have played with... I just heard from the fellow who invited me to join them, and he said, "Hell yes, you can come back!", so I guess this will be a part of my life for a while now... Looking forward to some more good times!

• Members

"Hell yes, you can come back!", so I guess this will be a part of my life for a while now... Looking forward to some more good times!

Jealous... I play all these gigs and I'm fortunate to be playing,but there's NOTHING like playing with talented cool musicians! Have a great time with this man!

• Members

I make no bones about the fact that I am happiest on a stage, playing with a good group of musicians. But, I was close minded about the possibilities of a group like this... Sometimes you just have to go with it, and see what lies ahead.

These guys enjoy what they are doing, and I can promise it is nothing that you would see in this area very often.

I found them to be receptive to some suggestions, and they smiled while they played. It was a little novel to see them nod, and let each player take a ride, and hear the others back off a bit so that it could be heard... That's not been the case in the world I was in before...

But, the best part is that they already have a huge song list, and this really isn't in the start up phase. So, I get to just drop in, fill a slot, and have a ton of fun!

Archived