Drinking Policy

Potts

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My current main band doesn't have any issues with it, but I've been in bands before where there's a "two strikes and you're out" rule about getting so drunk that your playing obviously suffers. It's a good rule. Get as f'd up as you want afterwards, but don't mess up the job.

• Members

The first duo I played in, the other guy drank A LOT, but got better as he did.

I don't drink while I'm playing, really find I suffer badly for doing it. I'll have a pint after (most places we play comp drinks, but we NEVER abuse it - diet sodas).

• Members

We don't have a "policy" ... the fact of the matter is that "policies" intended to control the behavior of 50+ year olds are by and large ineffective. The folks I work with monitor and regulate their own drinking. Every now and then somebody may get a little bit sloppy .. and thus far, have all realized it and corrected it on their own - such that it's not a much of an issue. Guys that have a chronic problem - usually get identified early and get leaned on to fix their {censored} immediately . If it becomes a consistently recurring issue - we fire 'em!

• Members

We usually play 3 sets of about an hour each. I always eat at least a medium meal before playing; then, I usually drink a few shots/mixed drinks/beers before the first set, and one during the first set. One drink or two before the end of the second set, and nothing but ice water during the third set and the rest of the night.

With the solid layer of food inside, this modest amount of drinking loosens up my voice and allows me to play the keyboards in a more relaxed way.

I would never drink this much on anything but a full gut. I don't get sloppy if I stick to this pattern.

We are an old fart band, most in our mid 60s, and this works for us. None of us hardly even drink at other times.

FYI and this is for real: I found the best food for my pre-gig meal is KFC Original and the fixuns...no after effects, ever.

• Members

Pretty lucky in that we haven't had any need for a specific policy yet. Actually my bandmates have a rule for me that I must have at least a couple before going on. :D Really.

As for the rest, none of us are drunks and we all know when to stop. Pretty lucky there, considering the rate of drunks/addicts in this biz.

• Members

no policy in my band, people police themselves and know their limits. I'm the only one who ever got a little too drunk, one of our small restaurant gigs that had Dogfish 60 min ipa on tap, I had about 2 too many. My wife was driving that night, it had been a long week at work, and those 1st few went down real easy and a little too fast! Any of our higher end gigs, it is never a problem for any of us.

• Members

We have the issue that many of our "fans" are likely alcoholics and they not only like to drink a lot when we play, (which the bar owners really like), but they also seem to want to buy us drinks all the time.

We've worked out a deal with a few of the clubs we frequent that if someone is buying drinks for the band... we like 'em "shirley temple" style.

I've downed many a shot of water instead of the vodka or tequila that was intended by the patron.

• Members

r
emember if your drinks are FREE but someone offers to buy you a drink LET THEM... and let the bar manager see it!
:)

That is the type of stuff that needs to be shared on this forum! That was told to me many years ago and I've always remembered it!

• Members

We don't really have a policy. None of us really drinks that much. My cousin will have a beer or two, the drummer might have one, might not. I usually don't, but it depends on how I'm feeling that night. I usually stick with water since I'm singing 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the songs. I broke my non-pop rule on Saturday night just for the hell of it (I haven't had a soda pop of any kind since mid-January of this year until this weekend) and I had one can of Coca-Cola and one Sprite, then went back to water. I'll probably do the same thing for New Year's Eve.

I think it's better to simply get musicians that have a similar attitude towards imbibing rather than trying to get the hardcore drinkers to lay off a bit while the non-drinkers need to 'loosen up'. The band I had in 2010 was made up of two former drinkers that drank O'Douls and me (who rarely drank). It was funny being the only guy that would take a shot or beer bought by someone in the crowd, especially since I was usually the one that drank the least in the bands I had in the late '80s/early '90s. Made me look like 'the drinker' in the group. :D

Archived