Guitarists who switch from acoustic to electric--what's the rig?

• Members

There's a couple of pedals (particularly my tuner, but also compressor and EQ) that I'd like both an acoustic and electric guitar to run through. However, I don't think I could run my electric-->PADI-->PA, and I don't know if I want to put my acoustic through a Classic 30 or whatever amp I decide to use. So... do I have to buy doubles of a bunch of my pedals and have two completely separate paths? Is there a solution I'm to dumb to see?

• Members

I don't understand where the PADI plays in. Is that an acoustic gutiar pre? Can it run after the other pedals? In other words, can it come after the A/B pedal and before the acoustic amp?

The question mark in my last post was confusing. I meant that I could A/B into PADI/guitar amp. Right now I'm running tuner pedal--->all other pedals--->PADI--->PA. I could put the A/B in right before the PADI, use the tuner to mute the channel when I'm switching guitars, and the only pain in the ass is that I'd have to get the levels right between an acoustic direct into the PA and an electric into a tube amp miked through the PA.

• Members

... and the only pain in the ass is that I'd have to get the levels right between an acoustic direct into the PA and an electric into a tube amp miked through the PA.

That shouldn't be a pain in the ass. Your amp level will stay the same as always. If you're mic-ing it then that will stay the same, too. All you'd need to do is set the trim and level on the PADI and again on the board for the acoustic, right? Shouldn't take more than a few minutes...

• Members

That shouldn't be a pain in the ass. Your amp level will stay the same as always. If you're mic-ing it then that will stay the same, too. All you'd need to do is set the trim and level on the PADI and again on the board for the acoustic, right? Shouldn't take more than a few minutes...

I'm doing the acoustic right now, so no amp. Compared to going direct, setting up an amp, mic'ing it, dealing with stage volume, and getting the level right in the mix is something I've never had to deal with in the past. And it's not fun.

• Members

I use a Parkwood H2 hybrid with the acoustic plug into a Fishman Loudbox and the electric plug into a Fender Deluxe 90. I switch between the two amps with a switch on the guitar.

It's my P&W band setup. The audience isn't critical for true acoustic or electric tone. As long as the volume is below the piano or organ, I'm good.

• Members

I go straight into a Loopmaster A/B box (the Radials work well too as per Chaffe67)

The "A" side goes to the rest of my electric chain and out to the guitar amp.

The "B" side goes straight to the DI for acoustic (which is a Fishman Aura Spectrum).

I get delay spillover this way which makes transitions smoother.

I use the same cord for both electric and acoustic, and if I'm using the peizos I have to manually switch from the electromagnetics to the piezos by hand while stepping on the A/B.

Archived