"payphone" by Maroon 5

• Members

I've noticed something... I've noticed that every single hot girl at every single bar in every single city in N. America knows every single word to this song. I'm pretty sure that by law this means we need to learn it.

now... since we're a mashup band we'll have to figure out what the hell we can mash it up with. Also, since it has that autotune falsetto thing I'm going to change the key lest I drop a testicle whilst performing it. I gave it a quick run in A as opposed to C and I thin with some work I can pull it off. Especially with the band and back vocals hiding my mistakes. Anyone have mashup ideas or comments? And since the video is basically for my band and now you guys its not exactly the Take On Me video by Ah-Ha

[video=youtube;R8AemeoxxOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AemeoxxOU&list=UUraDq_H7U2xcpn3h3lyhDUQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video

• Members

What's a payphone?--is that like a Trac phone??

haha! I was out to dinner with my extended family a couple of weeks ago and two of my college-age cousins were singing that song and I commented to them "it's strange to me that that song is such a big hit because so many younger people probably have no idea what a payphone even IS anymore". They told me that that was the appeal of the lyric...that the idea of a payphone seemed so quaint and isolated. That a guy standing at a payphone must be REALLY separated from his girlfriend.

We often take these dumb pop songlyrics for granted, but the ones that work really DO work with their intended audiences.

But regarding the OP: I don't have a clue what to mash it up with.

• Members

Sounds fine dropped. We play it in a medley with Drive By and the keys work, but the tempo is different. Not sure what else to 'mash' it with. Maybe "Hey Soul Sister' To be honest, we've played it since June as a full band song and it doesn't have legs for us. It's 1st set filler. Girls enjoy it and will sing along, but the chorus is so light and airy that the rest of the room just stares. We'll probably axe it. But you playing it acoustic, tripped down might be a great approach. Play the full band with you on acoustic. It could see that smooth out the delivery.

Archived