Opening for Kip Moore tonight!

Blackbird 13

• Members

Broke By Sunday has it's first main stage opening, warming up the crowd for Kip Moore tonight in Franklin, VA. Kip Moore is a country artist, best known for "Somethin Bout A Truck", which was #1 on Billboard's Country chart back in June.

I'm a bit stoked, because it's the first opening gig that this band has done. I have done quite a few of them in the past with other bands (with acts like Rascal Flatts, Phil Vassar, Gary Allan, and Clarence Carter).. but as this band has been more about making money than anything else, I haven't really pursued many opening gigs (which often don't pay as well as many other gigs).

Tonight, though.. we should have a good crowd, we're making a decent paycheck, and the songlist should be perfect for the event (a healthy dose of country with a few out of left field tunes). I'm actually more excited for the gig than normal, and that's a feeling I've missed having!

Of course it could rain.. in which case I'm kicking a baby. Figuratively speaking. Maybe.

And then next week, it's back to the normal bar gigs. Tuesday, 2X on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Just nice to have something like this to change it up a bit. Will keep you guys posted on how it goes!

• Members

Heh, sure did give me an experience!

We were set to take the stage at 7, Kip Moore at 9. Wasn't sure if we'd get a soundcheck, but his was like 2:30-3.. so we figured we'd work around that. I got there early, got to know the production crew, and they helped us out, giving us a pretty decent soundcheck (and more importantly, monitor check) right after.

Then.. the rain came. Raining.. and raining.. and raining some more. Surprisingly, the production lead said he had no problems running the show in the rain (the stage is a permanent covered one, but the crowd would be wet)... but wisely said he didn't want to deal with lightning, so we had to at least wait for the lightning to pass.

7 comes.. still no show.. everything of Kip's band's and our band's is covered with tarps and pulled back from the front of the stage. 7:30.. 8... still no word. Finally around 8:10 or 8:15 the folks in charge have a bit of a meeting. This is where I'm kinda crossing my fingers that some of the production guys we've been chatting with will look out for us a bit. They decide to go on with the show.. and out of nowhere tell us we've got like 5 minutes to get stage ready (from tarps) and like 20 minutes to play (cut down from about an hour and 15 minutes)! I'm just stoked we're playing at this point, as it was looking like we would get cut, and the main act would play without an opener. People are milling back under the tents, ready to start the show... and we're looking at our 20 song set (where we had songs together with plans for smooth transitions and a bit of a musical journey.. not just country, but stuff ranging from Foster the People to Billy Idol, with a healthy dose of new country in between) and we have to pull like five to make a solid set. The other vocalist and I agree on "Who Wouldn't Wanna Be Me" as the opener.. then "Save A Horse", "I Want You To Want Me", "Dirt Road Anthem", and "Copperhead Road".

Sure enough... we go onstage to a crowd that's been largely waiting in the rain to see Kip Moore (not us), and that not only has been getting rained on all day, but even as we start playing is STILL getting rained on a bit... and manage to get them going and into it. There are people there... maybe 500 or so, but that was a bit hard to gauge, and it filled up quickly as the music started. We come out of the gate on the mic saying that we want to wake them up and start the party.. and I feel like we did a pretty damned good job of that, all things considered. The Keith Urban tune was a good way to kickstart things...Had them singing the "Save a Horse" tag back to us... and that followed into dancing and clapping along to the Cheap Trick tune. Dirt Road Anthem gave another chance for a singalong.. and the last tune had people dancing in place to Copperhead Road. As we finish up and scramble to toss our gear offstage soon as possible.. I hear the stagehands a bit in shock (in a good way) that the opening band actually seemed to have some personality, as if they weren't used to that.. and quite a few of the festival staff and production crew seemed to want to hear more of our set... a newfound respect seemed to come to the band a bit. That's a good feeling!

Kip Moore then took the stage, and surprised me. I'm not a fan of his hit, "Somethin Bout A Truck", but most of his other songs weren't half bad, and I stayed all night. His band was cool to chill with, and were all good, including a guitar player who was doing some AMAZING things on the guitar. Kip Moore's set was, all in all, a pleasant surprise... although it's amazing how much the guy sounds like Bruce Springsteen.

It's funny, because at the end of the day, I'm sure the Kip Moore fans are going to remember Kip Moore much more than Broke By Sunday.. next week is six bar gigs... and no slight to Kip Moore, but he's far from the most famous person I've opened for (although he IS the only one I've done so with under this band). All that aside.. I feel more accomplished right now than I have about anything in the music biz in a long time. We took what was a pretty {censored}ty situation all around, and played a big part in turning it into a good situation for all involved. We were happy.. the fans that came to see us (a few braved it in raincoats) were happy. Kip Moore's crowd was happy. The production crew and management for everyone involved was happy. What more can you possibly ask for? And we were paid in full. I was joking with someone that I made a few hundred bucks to play five songs. Of course.. I was there for over 8 hours, and there was more to it than that.. but still worth a chuckle!

I hope I'm not coming off as bragging too much.. I just like sharing experiences where a total negative is turned into a huge positive! Here's hoping that becomes a trend with this band!

• Members

Glad it went OK. It sucks when your set gets cut though. It happened to my band in 2009 at a festival. We were scheduled to play for 90 minutes and right before we were to hit the stage it started to pour. Tracy Lawrence was the headliner and all the road crew was tarping his stuff while ours was getting rained on. We did manage to play for for about 40 minutes. In 2011 we had to cut a half an hour from our set because Lonestar took forever to do their soundcheck.

• Members

Nicely done all around... it's encouraging to hear that everyone involved handled it professionally!

I hear the stagehands a bit in shock (in a good way) that the opening band actually seemed to have some personality, as if they weren't used to that.. and quite a few of the festival staff and production crew seemed to want to hear more of our set... a newfound respect seemed to come to the band a bit. That's a good feeling!

Yeah, this part always surprised me... SO many opening bands are stiffs... it's a tough gig, for sure, but even if there are only 5 people there and they are throwing things at you, give them a freakin' show!

Of course, the bands that can do that usually don't stay openers for long...

Anyway, congrats on the whole experience!

• Members

That song encapsulates everything that is wrong with Commercial country radio format music..and that guys voice....Nashville has GREAT talent but you wouldn't know it from the radio..FTMB.

And "Cupid Shuffle" isn't quite as lyrically deep a pop song as an old James Taylor song.. but one of them packs a dance floor and one doesn't, y'know?

Archived