This should make everyone feel better, or maybe not...

992gnt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IDK... no matter what the skill level of my band, I'd hope a crappy cell phone video wouldn't be the basis upon which people judge it.

Plus, where are they? A backyard BBQ or something? So who'd expect them to be great?

I don't really see any reason to publicly harsh on a band that (AFAIK) makes no claim to being exceptional (unlike Grant's other post).

• Members

I don't really see any reason to publicly harsh on a band that (AFAIK) makes no claim to being exceptional (unlike Grant's other post).

I hear you. I agree that it's probably in poor taste, and not very fair. Then again, everyone seems pretty OK with slagging on some of those really bad, notorious YouTube bands.

On one hand, I suppose it different if they upload the video themselves. They are the ones putting it out there. Then again, if you're playing in public--you're playing in public.

I'm not much on slagging on bands myself (even though I participated here a bit) but the only time I think it's really unfair is if the band is really young. Like that infamous video of the band playing "The Final Countdown". They all look like they are about 14 in that video to me.

These guys? From what I can see...not so much....

• Members

IDK... no matter what the skill level of my band, I'd hope a crappy cell phone video wouldn't be the basis upon which people judge it.

Plus, where are they? A backyard BBQ or something? So who'd expect them to be great?

At the very least, the very LEAST, if I'm watching a band perform in public, I expect the singer to have a halfway-decent voice and the lead guitarist to be able to play in key. Neither of these were the case here. Maybe it was the only song that was like that and the rest of the night they were awesome.

I kind of doubt it.

And before you start slagging on MY band, I'm not claiming to be the best band out there. Not even close. There are moments were we look pretty {censored}ing boring actually. But...I can sing in tune and I can play a lead in key...

• Members

I hear you. I agree that it's probably in poor taste, and not very fair. Then again, everyone seems pretty OK with slagging on some of those really bad, notorious YouTube bands.

Well, the "Comfortably Numb" guys, as an example... the video was decent quality, and the band was absolutely jaw-droppingly awful. I can see joining in there.

But from this video, who can really tell anything? And who here hasn't had a minute or two on stage that they wouldn't want sent out to the world? Yeah, they probably sucked in general. But even in that case, for a dive bar/backyard band, who cares?

• Members

Well, the "Comfortably Numb" guys, as an example... the video was decent quality, and the band was absolutely jaw-droppingly awful. I can see joining in there.

But from this video, who can really tell anything? And who here hasn't had a minute or two on stage that they wouldn't want sent out to the world? Yeah, they probably sucked in general. But even in that case, for a dive bar/backyard band, who cares?

I can't disagree with you.

• Members

My intent wasn't "I rock/they suck". Actually they have gigs and I don't at the moment. But the fact is that clip, from a crappy cell phone or not, shows exactly how the entire night was. They cleared the place out within the first set. Here is a band that has been together a long time (at least 5 years), plays out regularly, and is lowering the bar musically and most likely monetarily for everyone else in the scene. They don't care, they just want to be in a band (and may actually be worse since the first time I saw them). As a musician, I can't fathom reaching for mediocrity. I'm not the best guitarist or singer out there by far, but I constantly try to improve and make each show better than the last.

• Members

This type of thing came up before when i posted a rant about a horrible ACDC tribute band. I got ragged on hard for it too.

If someone is going to put themselves out there playing music, making movies or writing books , and they're not very good at it, they open themselves up to criticism. This band is obviously not very good- there's no reason to be sensitive about it.

• Members

This type of thing came up before when i posted a rant about a horrible ACDC tribute band. I got ragged on hard for it too.

If someone is going to put themselves out there playing music, making movies or writing books , and they're not very good at it, they open themselves up to criticism. This band is obviously not very good- there's no reason to be sensitive about it.

I agree that if you put yourself out there, then you need to be prepared to take the hits. But I think if we post here, then there should be something constructive to be said within the criticism: the way Grant used the bad band as an example of how not to complain about getting gigs and maybe help others work on being more self-aware was pretty good, for example.

But if it's done just to provide a laugh-opportunity for the rest of us? I'm not so sure that's really necessary.

• Members

I might have sounded pretty harsh in my criticism, but the fact of the matter is that people don't know if someone has a bad night or if that's how they sound all the time. Because of that, IMO, musicians should always strive for excellence whenever they play. I rarely post videos of my band on YouTube because there is always something that went wrong during every single song. I have high standards and we rarely meet them, but by doing so, we strive for something better. Bands that act as if what they are doing is "good enough" really bother me and I have seen too many of them in my life.

Guido brought up a good point earlier. The "Final Countdown" kids were terrible, but they were just that: kids. If a band in their thirties or even twenties is playing like that, it's a whole different context. I would expect a band in their twenties on to be somewhat proficient at what they do, especially if they are performing in public.

Obviously if a performer or band is playing for money, I feel like they should meet a certain standard of quality. As I've said before in the past, it would be nice if bands got paid by how good they were, but we all know that isn't always the case. Even on the small-small time level, there are crap bands playing the local dives alongside some pretty good ones. They all get paid the same. In that environment, it's easy to think "why bother to work hard when I get paid the same?" Maybe I work to better my own group for personal pride.

• Members

I rarely post videos of my band on YouTube because there is always something that went wrong during every single song. I have high standards and we rarely meet them...

Lol.. I recorded ten tunes last night. Two are "acceptable".

• Members

I agree that if you put yourself out there, then you need to be prepared to take the hits. But I think if we post here, then there should be something constructive to be said within the criticism: the way Grant used the bad band as an example of how not to complain about getting gigs and maybe help others work on being more self-aware was pretty good, for example.

But if it's done just to provide a laugh-opportunity for the rest of us? I'm not so sure that's really necessary.

Videos like this are a great way to make people think about the product they put out there. Does your (not you specifically David, just a general question) band look or sound like this this? If so, you might want to think about the image you present or the actual quality of the product you present. As I used to say when I was coaching, tape never lies and it's often quite humbling. Everyone should try and tape at least a few songs every night. If not for promo use, at least to help manage your QC and know what works or if you are going off the rails.

• Members

I'm going to take the low road on this one...

I don't see any problem slagging that band. Not because they are terrible, there's lots of terrible bands out there, but because they are playing in a bar. I don't care what they are getting paid, because frankly, that kind of performance comes with a cost, a cost that the rest of us gigging bands pay via lowered rates / play for the door, etc. It's bull{censored} that bands like that drag us ALL down. They shouldn't be playing out (YET). They need some serious work in almost every area of playing live, and the fact that they are playing out puts the rest of the local bands into a negative light by proxy alone.

• Members

I'm going to take the low road on this one...

I don't see any problem slagging that band. Not because they are terrible, there's lots of terrible bands out there, but because they are playing in a bar. I don't care what they are getting paid, because frankly, that kind of performance comes with a cost, a cost that the rest of us gigging bands pay via lowered rates / play for the door, etc. It's bull{censored} that bands like that drag us ALL down. They shouldn't be playing out (YET). They need some serious work in almost every area of playing live, and the fact that they are playing out puts the rest of the local bands into a negative light by proxy alone.

A scene is only as strong as the bands being booked.

Archived