Your IEM Mix

Leftcoast123

• Members

There are a lot of us (and lurkers and Internet searches) that would benefit from a description of what what working musicians use as a mix for their IEMs. I suggest listing your instrument and role (ie Bass/BV or GTR/BV etc) and what you have in your personal mix in order of most to least along with a description of your personal IEM setup. Anyone using click individually or globally (entire band)? Let us know.

Me:

Drummer, no BV

Kick, click(BT's only), snare, hats, LV, BASS, GTR, BV's (in order of quietest to loudest), Keys, OH SL/SR., ambient mic. BT's (backing tracks) and click are on separate channels of my sub mixer.

Audio Technica M3 fed from an Alto 8 channel small format mixer. UE7 in ear. Ambient mic (Sennheiser shotgun condensor with phantom from my Alto) mounted behind me and above (usually clamped to lighting truss) aimed CS. Rane MM12 monitor mixer or from FOH.

Dave

• Members

Keyboard player - here's my preference:

My mix: Keys, vocals, sax, a bit of guitar and a smidgeon of bass. There are enough "open" mics on stage (6 vocal mics, 2 guitar mics and 1 sax mic) that I get enough drums and percussion (congas) from the ambient sound that they capture that I don't need to deliberately add any to my IEM mix.

My setup: Shure PSM200 fed from a Samson SM10 line mixer. LiveWires Ear buds. Everything except keys come to the line mixer via an AUX send from the FOH board (A&H MixWiz) - keys get added at the line mixer and blended to taste.

• Members

Me:

Drummer, b vox

In my mix in descending order:

Lead vox, click, tracks (lead vox, click and tracks are very close in level), my vox, bassist b vox (he sings occasional leads), then guitar 1, guitar 2, guitarist b vox, eDrum module, keys, and if lined in, bass.

That's right: no acoustic drums in the mix for anyone

Also, I am the only one receiving click.

Shure PSM600 (or whatever the wired version is), Sennheiser dual-driver custom molds, all mixed in Mainstage on a MacBook Pro.

• Members

Me: Guitar and backing vox.

Most to least: lead vox, my vocals, guitar 1 (me), kick, snare, SPD-S, bass, guitar 2, maybe just a hint of the rest of the drums depending on how big the stage is.

Monitors: Sennheiser EW 300 G2 with Shure SCL5 earbuds/comply foam tips. Mixed by our sound guy on an Allen & Heath MixWiz.

• Members

Me: Keyboards/guitar/vocals.

Stage volume is pretty quiet as my keys, guitar and bass are all run direct. My vocals, keys and guitar are the loudest things in my mix, then the other vocals, a bit of bass and guitar, hi-hat, electronic drums, and just a smidge of kick and snare.

We mix our monitors from onstage with an Allen & Heath Mixwiz 12M monitor mixer. I use Audio Technica M2 receiver with Ultimate Ears molded buds.

• Members

Me: bass, lead and BG vox (3 piece band)

I mix IEMs like I mix FOH. Vox on top, then drums & bass, then guitar to "fill the voids". The guitar is easy to hear and shouldn't be the first thought in the mix (my opinion, sorry to the guitards). Makes a nice clean mix where everything has a place.

Vox are drier in the IEMs than they are at FOH. Each of us has our own mix so others might be slightly different but it is amazing how close we all are. We would constantly fight if we all had the same mix. I separated them and we are all pretty much the same, without the fighting.

Our setup: Mixwiz into 3 Shure PSM200s. Line6 PODxt Pros for bass and guitar, drummer uses a TD-20 kit. No stage volume at all but a decent FOH system (PRX512s over PRX 618XLFs).

• Members

Me: Guitar and 1/2 lead vocals and backing vocals.

I only put my vocal in my ears. However, I also only use IEM in one ear and keep the other ear open.

We only have two mon sends on our mixer/amp. I use a mic splitter and run 1 into band mixer and the other into Sure IEM mixer that goes to my transmitter. It works well for me.

• Members

I only put my vocal in my ears. However, I also only use IEM in one ear and keep the other ear open.

Be VERY careful with this setup. We have had numerous discussions here about this, including input from audiologists. One ear in can be much more dangerous than just sticking with wedges. It partially has to do with how the brain perceives the sound. In general, the one ear in people run that ear much hotter than they think it is in order to "match" the ambient sound in the other ear. The audiologist went on to explain that it is much more dangerous to use one in ear than none so please be careful and consider moving to an "all or nothing" setup. It might be difficult at first but once you start hearing that ringing in your ears, the damage is done and irreversible.

I am one of the many here that has tinnitus and it is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. It is a 24/7 reminder that I was a total idiot when I was younger. I'm going on almost 30 years of constant, loud noise in my right ear. Just be very careful and do some studying about what you are doing to your hearing.

• Members

I've got this file in a journal entry from last week (that I haven't posted yet) so I'm glad someone started this thread.

I'm stage right, play electric guitar, sing back ground vocals.

My mix is panned in the stereo image where everyone is standing (left to right)

We only use click on "motel room" and that is panned right (high hat is also panned right). We don't use an ambient mic (or open talk back).

This is only the right side so the mix is missing stage left guitar and the other BGVs (on my left side). It also doesn't account for what I'm hearing that is bleeding through (IEM are not 100% isolated) and also does not account for low end vibration (or throwback from the mains) which is also part of your mix (vibration IS sound).

It was also a huge pain in the a** to get this.....

http://www.jpaulmusic.com/Audio/jumpin-IEM-pb.mp3

• Members

Me: guitar, lead and b/u vocals

Mix: all 4 vocals (pretty equal), guitar, keys, bass. I don't put any drums in my mix because the drummer's vocal mic picks up enough ambient sound.

Interesting point that jwlussow brings up about using only one ear bud. I've started doing that recently, so the ear facing the rest of the band was open and I felt more connected to everybody else. I noticed the signal in just one ear seemed hotter and I brought the level down. Now I know why. Thanks.

Set-up: Galaxy AS-900...wireless.

• Members

Drummer b/u vox

Everything mic'ed on stage. I use custom livewires through a Galaxy wireless system. Kick drum on top with my vox up as well. Lots of guitar to lock into. Little bit of bass as I can feel it more than I need to hear it.

Lead vox low but intelligible so I know where we are. Other vox mics pretty low as we don't harmonize much. Toms and snare come trough open stage mics so I keep them pretty low as well.

When I was wedges, all I wanted was kick, guitar and a little bass and vox. I still don't understand drummers who want an already loud instrument cranked in their monitors.

• Members

Pretty much how I would probably mix my own, except I would have expected more of Gwen in there, even on just one side.

Yeah

I keep her separate so that if she's louder that day I can at least pull the left one out and make it through a show w/ out her blasting me the whole time (we don't have a monitor man so there are no adjustments once the show starts).

• Members

Congrats on the new board! Is it an SL 16 or 24 or a Yamaha? I don't add compression at our monitor board but I have a Boss CL50 compressor/limiter daisy chained to a Boss GE21 EQ that I just added to my IEM rack to use on an insert to my Alto small format mixer. I'll see how it works out and report back.

Archived