80s big hair memories!

• Members

Been transferring old VHS to my computer before it all completely oxidizes away, and I came across some live footage of my old 80s big hair band from a TV show we did from a club in Chico, CA. c. 1986. This is about as big as the hair got for us.

Not sure how many faces we melted that night, but we worked hard and had a lot of fun in those days. I'm the guy in back playing rhythm guitar and making weird noises on the keyboards. Note the congas loop (played on an Ensoniq Mirage) I have running that isn't anything close to being in time with anything else the band is doing.... :lol:

I also kept in some "period" footage from the TV show at the end for laughs.

[video=youtube;ik5ngmG0J38]

• Members

That is the biggest hair I've ever seen next to King Kobra lol! Good to see you got some video time closer to the end.

It was interesting to see the bassist playing the modified keytar you were talking about a couple of years ago too.

Not sure if it's my earbuds or my hearing (probably both), but I couldn't hear the congas loop? :idk:

• Members

That is the biggest hair I've ever seen next to King Kobra lol! Good to see you got some video time closer to the end.

Yeah, us keyboard players always get shafted when it comes to video time it seems. Much more fun to show the guitarist with his custom-built craps-table guitar! (We WERE from Vegas...)

It was interesting to see the bassist playing the modified keytar you were talking about a couple of years ago too.

Actually this is a couple of years later than that modified Mini-Moog he played. Here he's using a stock Korg keytar midi'd into some little red box that had 3 different bass samples in it! (EMU systems maybe??) So hi-tech for the time! :lol:

Not sure if it's my earbuds or my hearing (probably both), but I couldn't hear the congas loop?
:idk:

Actually, it's pretty loud in the mix all the way through the guitar solo.

• Members

That's funny, the hair may have changed but I saw a band last night playing the same tune doing the same moves, LMAO!

Hey! We did them first!

But...yeah....maybe that's part of the problem with live rock bands today? I mean, those moves were ALREADY 15+ years old when we stole them from LZ and the The Who way back when....

• Members

Someone bought Guido's band the '80's video cliche handbook', and the band studied it VERY well...

It's funny...that's simply a sign of what bands were/did at the time, but watching even half of that clip, it's like anything you'd see in any live footage from Whitesnake/Quiet Riot/Van Halen, etc at the time, from moves to gear to wardrobe/hair.

LOL'd

• Members

Someone bought Guido's band the '80's video cliche handbook', and the band studied it VERY well...

It's funny...that's simply a sign of what bands were/did at the time, but watching even half of that clip, it's like anything you'd see in any live footage from Whitesnake/Quiet Riot/Van Halen, etc at the time, from moves to gear to wardrobe/hair.

LOL'd

Yep. But, of course, those weren't cliches then. We were just doing what was "state of the art"/"top of the pops" for the day. Nothing cutting edge, of course. Which, in retrospect, is why that band never hit it big. We were just copying what the top bands of the day were doing. The 'next big thing' bands were the ones doing something new and fresh. Somewhere in 1986, bands were figuring out how to be 'grunge'.

That's why I let that "Top 10" clip play at the end. Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" was the biggest album at the time! THAT was new and fresh then! Hard to believe such a time even existed anymore.

• Members

all my 80s gigging stuff was somewhat anti-hair band stuff.

Maybe more like the mullets the guys on the dancefloor are wearing in this clip? :poke:

[video=youtube;FzdkSUINz0c]

This one is much more "80s"---80s pop tune, big fat key pads, ridiculous guitar-wankery during the solo. All the cliches are there! :lol:

But this was the band at its peak: we've got about 4 years of 4 sets a night/5 nights a week/50 weeks a year of playing clubs under our belt at this point. As corny and ridiculous as most of this looks now (and we're obviously overplaying for the cameras a bit, trying our hardest to make it look like a MTV video) a lot of what is here is what I think is missing from live rock music today---being an uber-version of what the people in the audience wouldn't dare be but want to, and giving people a mini-rock concert in a nightclub. Yeah, we were just apeing everything we saw on the latest Bon Jovi or Whitesnake video, but we gave people a sized-down version of what those bands were doing. We'd pull into town with a big truck full of sound gear and lighting and cram as much of it as we could on the sometimes very-small stages and rock 'em as hard as we could for 4 hours.

Funny that I have no recollection of shooting this particular video at all. When I pulled it off my shelf the other day I thought it was of another similar TV show we did in another city. I didn't remember this one. I'm pretty impressed with how good the camera work is for a podunk small-city TV station in the mid 80s. These types of shows were usually done live, but this one looks like maybe it was shot one night and then editted later. I have no idea. And I don't know how they got the audio but it sounds like "our" mix. Not sure why the video and audio quality are so poor here--might just be a failure of the cheap VHS-to-DVD converter I purchased.

But very strange watching yourself 25 years later doing something you don't even really remember doing. I played it for friends and family last night and we all got a good laugh for sure! I'll never be 25 (or have that much hair) again...

• Members

My hair wasn't super long in the '80s (maybe neck length), but the longest my hair ever got was in late 1998. It was halfway down my back. I used to get headaches a lot from the weight of it, plus it made sleeping a challenge (as well as, er, other activities :lol:). I also had to use a LOT of shampoo and conditioner. It got to be a pretty big hassle after a while, so I cut it down to just under neck length.

These days, I have to keep it a lot shorter than I would prefer since my hair is getting thin on top. Boo!

• Members

Lol..thank God I never got into that whole 80's mess. I was busy playing Deep Purple, Zep, Floyd and all the leftover {censored} from the 70's. I did have a perm though and I used to fling my guitar round my back like an idiot on more than one occasion so I'm not totally removed from the wankery.

• Members

Lol..thank God I never got into that whole 80's mess. I was busy playing Deep Purple, Zep, Floyd and all the leftover {censored} from the 70's. I did have a perm though and I used to fling my guitar round my back like an idiot on more than one occasion so I'm not totally removed from the wankery.

Seemed that if you were playing rock in the mid-80s you were either doing big-hair pop metal, more "serious" Metallica-type metal, or the college/alternative REM-type stuff. They all had their respective "camps" that didn't like or get the others, but there was also plenty of cross-over as well.

I distinctly remember attending a Metallica concert in the late 80s after being lectured by many of their fans that they were so much better than the big-hair type bands because they didn't go for all that silly rock-star bull{censored}. So I figured I better go see what this "real" band was all about in concert. And then I see James Hetfield swinging his hair around onstage and leading the crowd in a call-and-response bit during "Seek and Destroy" and I realized then that rock and roll is rock and roll. It's all the same {censored}, just with slight variances in content or presentation to more directly appeal to a specific niche.

• Members

:D

Long hair was a pain in the butt tho. I remember about grade 7, it wouldn't part so I thought {censored} it, I'll grow it long. Sometimes I would spike it with a crimping iron I stole from a girlfriend. But god damn we looked cool. In college, I had a GF that hated it, "all the little girlies love it when you flip your hair around when you play" so I said fine, I'll chop it off then.

Don't be stupid she said.

Nope. No problemo. Gone.

I grabbed these scissors, and was going to cut just a little bit, but they were reaaaaaally sharp

Snip

Gone

There I was holding a huge handful of hair. Haha oh {censored}.

The thing was, I met twice as many girls they were all "oh my god, why did you cut your hair????" lol. That was in Feb. and by Sept of that year it was long again. My GF released me about it.

:D

• Members

King Kobra? ....haven't heard that name in a while.

I partied w/ them once back in the day (and smoked a joint w/ Carmine).......

What's funnier is that I was with Morgan Rose (who is currently a rockstar).....

Whatever band was playing that weekend, he would practice the autographs of all week in school...THEN the next Monday he would come to school proclaiming

"I met the band!! SEE I got their autograph!!" .......well it doesn't take an Einstein to call bull{censored}...a guy that practices fake autographs that makes grandiose claims the day after the show...... Whatever dude

So I drove the next time....

and sure enough he had been telling the truth the whole time.

• Members

Been transferring old VHS to my computer before it all completely oxidizes away, and I came across some live footage of my old 80s big hair band from a TV show we did from a club in Chico, CA. c. 1986. This is about as big as the hair got for us.

Not sure how many faces we melted that night, but we worked hard
and
had a lot of fun in those days. I'm the guy in back playing rhythm guitar and making weird noises on the keyboards. Note the congas loop (played on an Ensoniq Mirage) I have running that isn't anything close to being in time with anything else the band is doing....
:lol:

I also kept in some "period" footage from the TV show at the end for laughs.

got milk?

how bout delay?

wow.

nice bongos

utility guys were super hard to find

still are.

Archived