How many bands have you been in up to now?

tim_7string

• Members

How many bands have you been in up to now? Some people like to proudly proclaim that they have only been in four or five bands over the course of their lifetime, while others exceed the 20+ mark. Very rarely, there are guys who have been in the same band for many, many years (we're talking decades here).

I'm more in the 20+ camp. It could be viewed as a bad thing, but I actually treasure the years of experience I gained from all of those situations. I don't think I would be quite the same musician and vocalist that I am today if I would have been in only one or two bands over the past 26+ years since I started playing live in 1986. I've been a keyboardist, a drummer, a lead vocalist/frontman, a rhythm guitarist/keyboardist, a bassist/keyboardist, a lead guitarist, a lead vocalist/rhythm guitarist, a lead vocalist/lead guitarist, and a lead guitarist/keyboardist.

At this point in my life, I am now settled down as a lead vocalist/lead guitarist and that's the job I've been doing the most over my 'career' as a gigging musician.

• Members

I've been playing in bands regularly since I was a kid of 12 or 13, so I've lost count.

Plus, there have been times I was in up to 3 working bands at one time.

It's all a blur, man... it's all a blur. :lol:

But other than fill in work as a singer, I've been almost exclusively a solo guy since 2005.

• Members

Hmmmm...

Since I first started playing in 1976....

Six that I consider "Real" bands that really got off the ground and did some work. Two of those morphed into somewhat different bands with different names, but I consider those transitions to still be one band.

3 or 4 other bands that never really got off the ground. Either played only a couple of gigs or none at all.

And one duo.

And numerous sit-in and fill-in gigs.

• Members

I'm more in the 20+ camp. ...over the past 26+ years...

Wow. I'm glad that's worked for you, but I would have committed suicide I think! Starting up a band is the hardest part and it takes a minimum of a year, IME, to get a band tight and in a position to really start making some inroads.

That just sounds like never-ending frustration to me.

• Members

Wow. I'm glad that's worked for you, but I would have committed suicide I think! Starting up a band is the hardest part and it takes a
minimum
of a year, IME, to get a band tight and in a position to really start making some inroads.

That just sounds like never-ending frustration to me.

Yeah IME it takes at least a couple of years to start getting good gigs.

• Members

Since my first band back in 1978, I would say I've been in 7 bands. Like David pointed out, a couple of those bands changed personnel and names but were basically the same band. I'm the only original member of my current rock band. I've been in that band for 11 years. Even though we've changed names and players it still feels like the same band.

• Members

Playing out since '85, had a coule runs where I was in 2 bands at the same time...

I'd say 14 or 15 that actually gigged and got decent shows, etc.

Another half dozen that never got past side-project for kicks.

And over the past few years, a couple that are purely fill-in deals where I am not actually IN the band.

• Members

'76-80 I was in a high school buddy band that lasted til 81 after I quit. We have had reunions ever since.

'80-99 worked mainly in 1 band. '99-2010 worked with basically the 1st 10 year incarnation of the 80-99 band.

last few years I'm back with the high school buds-GOOD TIMES !!

I'm leaving a lot out but that is basically it.

• Members

do you still write?

These days... not so much. I just simply don't have the time. I was never a good lyricist and I work better when collaborating then trying to construct songs via a melody in my head. Since I'm not a singer either it's hard for me to think about what someone else would sing.

But.... I've been composing my own instrumental tracks for over a decade now. Ambient soundtracks. It's an outlet... much like writing poetry or journal writing. It's made for my pure expression not really for the purpose of me marketing it to other listeners. Someday when I'm not burning the candle at both ends between my job and band I'll probably sit down and re-compose some of the ideas I've had over the years. My material is ambient electronic/progressive. I love layering and composing tracks. Which is why I probably LOVE playing 2nd keyboards in the band. I'm like the powdered sugar on top of the cake. That 3rd and 4th hand I wished I had when covering songs... parts I simply couldn't reach. The other guy holds down the main riffs while I really work the other parts in the arrangement you don't always recognize but certainly fill in the song. So performing covers in that method satisfies that 'itch' I have playing live.

• Members

I've been doing the band thing for roughly 30 years. By my count - I've been in roughly 13 bands bands. Of that dozen - 5 bands gigged regularly for 2 or more years (2 years, 3 years, 4 years, 7 years and 8 years). The other 8 all did some gigging - but never hit a second anniversary.

Add another dozen or so groups that I wasn't a "member" of - but have done at least some sub gigs with.

Collectively I put my gig count somewhere around the 2,000 nights on stage count.

Archived