Our Drummer Quit the Band Today

n8cJohn

• Members

Our drummer invited me and the bass player to lunch today. When we arrived - we all sat down and exchaged pleasantries. Soon thereafter he announced that he was leaving the band and explained why.

We said "ok" and then we all continued on with lunch and conversation.

• Members

Our drummer invited me and the bass player to lunch today. When we arrived - we all sat down and exchaged pleasantries. Soon thereafter he announced that he was leaving the band and explained why.

We said "ok" and then we all continued on with lunch and conversation.

So, you weren't surprised then? ("ok") Was it something that you could see coming?

I sometimes wonder what my old band thought when I told them I was quitting. I mean, the tension had gotten pretty high by that point. Maybe they thought it was just something that would eventually work itself out or maybe they were actually relieved. Maybe neither.

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter. These things happen.

Do you guys have another drummer in mind?

• Members

So, you weren't surprised then? ("ok") Was it something that you could see coming?

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter. These things happen.

Do you guys have another drummer in mind?

Darned sure did not see it coming. I was really shocked. He told the bass player two nights prior that the meeting was to dicusss ways to update our marketing plan. He wanted to record some stuff and do some new videos, etc.

There isn't a shortage of good drummers willing to play with us. We have good funding, great equipment, free rehearsal space, a graphic artist on staff, solid reputation, regular gigs in all the spots that we like to play, no drug or relationship issues, etc. We will be doing a short show on Monday with a another fellow on drums that is super nice and a very good player (planned in advance of todays meeting). I've played one electric show and one acoustic show with him before. Steady Eddie, for sure.

We will see how it goes with him. There are several other fellows from our past associations that would also be good to play with again.

No sense getting upset when someone wants to give it up. I will still see the old guy in work circles - he called me tonight as a matter of fact - to chat about some job in Florida that is causing folks some pain.

• Members

Why?

He said that his work assigments had been changed and that his international travel was going to be for longer durations than it has been. Probably gone for two weeks at a time (three weekends) - probably 10 or so times per year and there is a chance that he may end up doing an extended stay in Europe in the not too distant future.

• Members

It was an extremely difficult decision to make. Without a doubt this is one of the best bands I have ever been in and the first that I felt comfortable playing Rush and Zep songs in public. :thu: John and the rest of the guys can hit those with no problem. Unfortunately I travel a lot for my position including internationally. I felt that my work schedule was holding the band back from being able to schedule gigs (gone to asia for 22 days in April), it was keeping me from putting the practice in to do the songs justice, and the band schedule was making it difficult to plan travel. We also recently replaced our lead guitarist with a very talented guy and he really wants to play out more.

Glad the new guy is going to work out for the band and I hope to see them in the future!

I was awake at 3am while on travel. Just happened to pull this board up on my tablet and saw the thread title. Never dreamed it would be about me :)

• Members

Oh crap! Quick! Delete all that other stuff you posted about him!
:D

LOL! I hope there are no hard feelings. It was not easy to do but since we had nothing booked for a while I thought it would be easier for them. The longer I put it off the harder it would be for them to get someone else in and our songlist is not the easiest to do well. It was also great to not have a ton of drama like many bands struggle with.

On the plus side with the international travel, I did get to sit in with a blues band in Madrid one evening. Now I can claim to have "played Europe" :lol:

• Members

This thread is a real dissappointment! Where is the backstabbing, yelling, talking behind others backs, threats of violence, name calling, obscenities and promises of reprisal that we at BSWTB have come to expect and thrive on!

As I understand it, he wasn't wearing cargo shorts or reading from a music stand. So all is good.

Archived