So I was listening to our local modern rock station this morning...

mstreck

• Members

You have a modern rock station? We haven't had one in years... I hear GnR, AC/DC or the Beastie Boys every half-hour on ALL of the various rock radio stations here
:(

Same here... one station is classic rock (they draw the line at AIC and Soundgarden) and an alternative rock station that plays from Green Day to whatever leftover emo sandwich is sitting in the fridge.

• Members

You have a modern rock station? We haven't had one in years... I hear GnR, AC/DC or the Beastie Boys every half-hour on ALL of the various rock radio stations here
:(

Dude, WAAF's music programming went straight to Hell the second Carrie took over. They were actually playing metal a few years ago and it was awesome - new music was everywhere on it, then that idiot got herself in charge and now it's the same songs over and over, with barely anything new. I'm such a scanner now...

• Members

My band is going to play out "we are young" for the first time this weekend... it's a hard song to get just right, we struggle on the vocals and especially the backup vocals towards the end ... but it still sounds pretty good I guess. It's so anthem-ish that it's hard NOT to get engrossed in it while playing :) I hope it does well

• Members

We Are Young is working decent enough with us but is not the crowd chanting/singing tune we we thought it would be. I'm Going to place it later in the night next week and see if it turns into a sing-a-long.

It looks like it will never see the light of day for us. We drug our feet on it for way too long and ended up adding Everybody Talks instead, which got a great response on Saturday night. People really enjoyed dancing to it.

• Members

Dude, WAAF's music programming went straight to Hell the second Carrie took over. They were actually playing metal a few years ago and it was awesome - new music was everywhere on it, then that idiot got herself in charge and now it's the same songs over and over, with barely anything new. I'm such a scanner now...

I couldn't agree more! But it is FAR worse than just WAAF. We Solute You is on WAAF as I type this... Beastie Boys are on HJY and Welcome To The Jungle is on 92.9. I just switched back to Pandora!

• Members

It looks like it will never see the light of day for us. We drug our feet on it for way too long and ended up adding Everybody Talks instead, which got a great response on Saturday night. People really enjoyed dancing to it.

that used to happen alot with my bands.

Everybody Talks has been doing well for us. catchy song that was really easy to toss together.

• Members

that used to happen alot with my bands.

Everybody Talks has been doing well for us. catchy song that was really easy to toss together.

Agreed. Great 1st set opener. Here's a little medley treat... we open with "Animals"-Neon Trees(just the chorus), morph into Everyone Talks play right until the end of the break down and then slide right into "Small Things". Opens the show with 6 1/2 minutes of continuous music.

• Members

Agreed. Great 1st set opener. Here's a little medley treat... we open with "Animals"-Neon Trees(just the chorus), morph into Everyone Talks play right until the end of the break down and then slide right into "Small Things". Opens the show with 6 1/2 minutes of continuous music.

hmmmm.... i like it. :thu:

• Members

I can't see any band around here doing it, except for maybe the few variety bands that exist.

I'm just curious... given your market and how well older alternative rock still goes over... is their any music you consider adding since 2005. When bands decide new material to play, do they completely avoid anything remotely top 40 or is it just that radio stations don't play anything that touches Billboard Top 100 pop.

I don't mean it as a knock. For instance I could see Jason Mraz, Train, Matchbox 20, Green Day, The Black Keys. Shinedown, Seether maybe going over. That being said, even 'We Are Young!' is #2 on Billboards Modern Rock charts.

• Members

I can't see any band around here doing it

Maybe a band that did do stuff like that would clean up big time.

Like Grant, I am not knocking you- just sayin' if someone came in with solid players and played this mainstream pop stuff no one else in your town was playing maybe it would work. That's kind of what my band There & Back Again did in our tiny little town. Back in 2002 every working cover band was playing classic and modern rock. That's it. nothing else. No medleys, no dancy-pop stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. Sure some agency bands would come in once in awhile but that dried up too because the clubs we're paying like they used to... so it was just a bunch of local DIY bands that were and still are playing my home town's bars every weekend. So, After our 1st year of playing al lot of what everyone else was doing we started offering an alternative.. adding dance tunes and pop tunes and medleys (slowly- but we did!)

Not saying we set the world on fire but we offered an alternative to what 99.9% of the bands playing in my town were doing and it worked decently. (at least in our hometown, when we traveled we would fry 1/2 of the time but that's another story and that's more about being known/ built in crowds than anything)

• Members

Maybe a band that did do stuff like that would clean up big time.

Like Grant, I am not knocking you- just sayin' if someone came in with solid players and played this mainstream pop stuff no one else in your town was playing maybe it would work. That's kind of what my band There & Back Again did in our tiny little town. Back in 2002 every working cover band was playing classic and modern rock. That's it. nothing else. No medleys, no dancy-pop stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. Sure some agency bands would come in once in awhile but that dried up too because the clubs we're paying like they used to... so it was just a bunch of local DIY bands that were and still are playing my home town's bars every weekend. So, After our 1st year of playing al lot of what everyone else was doing we started offering an alternative.. adding dance tunes and pop tunes and medleys (slowly- but we did!)

Not saying we set the world on fire but we offered an alternative to what 99.9% of the bands playing in my town were doing and it worked decently. (at least in our hometown, when we traveled we would fry 1/2 of the time but that's another story and that's more about being known/ built in crowds than anything)

I don't live in Tommy's market but I have driven through S. Dakota, southern Mn on my way out to Montana. Wow... it's flat and lonely. Also earthy. I can understand why older rock still has a strong foothold out there and why pop is not probably accepted. I've wondered if we transplanted in other parts of the country would our same formula work. The answer is, probably not. And there is nothing wrong with 90's alternative rock. It's starting to make a small comeback here. I just wonder whether any new music would gain a foothold in real rural markets.

• Members

And there is nothing wrong with 90's alternative rock. It's starting to make a small comeback here. I just wonder whether any new music would gain a foothold in real rural markets.

with the way the media shoves it down our throats I would be surprised if it wouldn't work but who knows?

as far as a 90s music comeback- Yeah I have been seeing it more and more in the last year and Ostrich Hat plays a ton of it to great crowd response. (it makes me feel old... lol)

• Members

I don't live in Tommy's market but I have driven through S. Dakota, southern Mn on my way out to Montana. Wow... it's flat and lonely. Also earthy. I can understand why older rock still has a strong foothold out there and why pop is not probably accepted. I've wondered if we transplanted in other parts of the country would our same formula work. The answer is, probably not. And there is nothing wrong with 90's alternative rock. It's starting to make a small comeback here. I just wonder whether any new music would gain a foothold in real rural markets.

Haha! It's as if you drove around North Dakota intentionally!

Can't really speak for his market, but the only newer songs I have seen work around here for cover bands are "Sex On Fire" and "Pumped Up Kicks." We do "Dani California," but it's kind of hit or miss with the crowds. "Lonely Boy" doesn't ever get much of a response and even though we love playing that one and The Killers' "When You Were Young," that one doesn't really go over either. Last weekend, everything 20+ years old went over great. Anything like Nirvana was met with indifference. Kinda sad.

• Members

I'm just curious... given your market and how well older alternative rock still goes over... is their any music you consider adding since 2005. When bands decide new material to play, do they completely avoid anything remotely top 40 or is it just that radio stations don't play anything that touches Billboard Top 100 pop.

I don't mean it as a knock. For instance I could see Jason Mraz, Train, Matchbox 20, Green Day, The Black Keys. Shinedown, Seether maybe going over. That being said, even 'We Are Young!' is #2 on Billboards Modern Rock charts.

I think a lot of it is that today's rock (modern rock? or is it called something new finally?) and today's pop have extremely blurred lines, and cross over to each other far more than they did in the past. Bands like grouplove are charting on both pop and rock equally, which is a newer concept to me, although I never really followed charts or pop in the past, so a lot of what I'm saying is from observation and not billboard fact :)

• Members

My band is going to play out "we are young" for the first time this weekend... it's a hard song to get just right, we struggle on the vocals and especially the backup vocals towards the end ... but it still sounds pretty good I guess. It's so anthem-ish that it's hard NOT to get engrossed in it while playing
:)
I hope it does well

Update on this-

We put four new songs into our lineup last night (well Sat night, it's late...)

Gold on the ceiling- We placed it probably too early in the first set, people were still filtering in, bar about 60% full, early in the night. Nobody was up and dancing yet when we got to it, and it didn't bring them onto the floor, but we saw a lot of people groovin in their seats or where they stood, so it has potential.. we're going to place it late in the first, or early in the second and see how it does.

We are young- Played it 2/3 into the first set, people were up and dancing already when we went into it. It freeking killed.. not just killed... but SLAUGHTERED. They went friggin goofy for it. (notably this place is a 23-33 aged crowd typically

Everybody talks - early 2nd set, and again another grand slam.

(not so new) mr brightside - played it later in the 2nd set, and it got a really good response. People stayed up and danced thru it and applauded strongly after it.

Overall, it was one of our best gigs ever! We are finally pulling a real fanbase- meaning that around here, every successful cover band is successful only because of the amount of friends and family that show up- I'm not kidding either.. the idea of fans in this area was all but dead! We've done well for the same reason, but in the last 6-9 months, we've finally seen a solid fanbase emerge on top of the friends/family that showed up for us.. and we've also managed to separate ourselves from the rest of the other bands (different topic..lol)

• Members

Update on this-

We put four new songs into our lineup last night (well Sat night, it's late...)

Gold on the ceiling- We placed it probably too early in the first set, people were still filtering in, bar about 60% full, early in the night. Nobody was up and dancing yet when we got to it, and it didn't bring them onto the floor, but we saw a lot of people groovin in their seats or where they stood, so it has potential.. we're going to place it late in the first, or early in the second and see how it does.

We are young- Played it 2/3 into the first set, people were up and dancing already when we went into it. It freeking killed.. not just killed... but SLAUGHTERED. They went friggin goofy for it. (notably this place is a 23-33 aged crowd typically

Everybody talks - early 2nd set, and again another grand slam.

(not so new) mr brightside - played it later in the 2nd set, and it got a really good response. People stayed up and danced thru it and applauded strongly after it.

Overall, it was one of our best gigs ever! We are finally pulling a real fanbase- meaning that around here, every successful cover band is successful only because of the amount of friends and family that show up- I'm not kidding either.. the idea of fans in this area was all but dead! We've done well for the same reason, but in the last 6-9 months, we've finally seen a solid fanbase emerge on top of the friends/family that showed up for us.. and we've also managed to separate ourselves from the rest of the other bands (different topic..lol)

Awesome to hear. Those songs (except Gold On The Ceiling) are crowd pleasers in our setlist. Crowd pleasing songs attract more people dancing and more crowd participation. It all lends to someone in the audience walking away and saying "man! I had a great time last night. I want to see that band again". Good to hear that you are pulling people back outside your circle of family and friends. Getting people to see you one weekend and return the following weekend is what it's all about. Create a scene, get to know new faces, invite them back to future shows. Promise them when all else disappoints them your band will be their loyal weekend 'steady'. ;) It's great for your band, reputation, confidence and future business. There is no better levearge with a club owner than filling his bar with 50-100+ people have never been there before. ;)

Good to hear, keep the reports coming. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Late to the party on this one, but you folks should look into Sirius/XM. Their Top 40, Modern Rock, Alternative Rock, Indie/College/Unsigned, Metal, etc etc ad nauseum, stations are good enough that I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in years.

Archived