What do you think about this -- Band audition content

Yer Blues

• Members

I replied to an ad on craigslists about a month back for a cover band situation. The guy wrote me back that weekend and said he was holding auditions that Friday at some dive bar. I hear nothing for a month. Then this afternoon I get a mass e-mail from the guy saying auditions are still going on tonight at another dive bar. Now, I am familiar with the first bar because I played there a couple times with a previous band and it is the $300-400 type of place... probably pays less if bands will take it.

To me it seems like this guy is hosting open jams and calling them "auditions". He's obviously getting paid, while the people "auditioning" aren't.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems shaddy. Am I way off base here?

• Members

There are situations in which it's not a good idea to try to read too much into the what's and and why's ... and I suspect this might be one of 'em. If the guy truly is auditioning folks - and has decided the way to audition 'em is to bring 'em up on stage at a live gig - I do what he's done - book a gig at a dive and have at it. I certainly wouldn't be bringing "auditionees" up at the higher end places we play.

If you're truly interested in the gig - and you didn't go to the first audition you mentioned in your post - I think you're gonna have to invest the couple of hour and go see what's up. Worst case - you waste a couple of hours and a couple of buck on beers. If you just sit back and second guess what the guy is trying to accomplish and/or whether he just trying to field players an open jam he's hosting - you'll NEVER really know.

Sometimes you gotta jump through a couple of strange hoops when you're looking for a gig. It comes with the territory and it simply part of the game.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
There are situations in which it's not a good idea to try to read too much into the what's and and why's ... and I suspect this might be one of 'em. If the guy truly is auditioning folks - and has decided the way to audition 'em is to bring 'em up on stage at a live gig - I do what he's done - book a gig at a dive and have at it. I certainly wouldn't be bringing "auditionees" up at the higher end places we play.

If you're truly interested in the gig - and you didn't go to the first audition you mentioned in your post - I think you're gonna have to invest the couple of hour and go see what's up. Worst case - you waste a couple of hours and a couple of buck on beers. If you just sit back and second guess what the guy is trying to accomplish and/or whether he just trying to field players an open jam he's hosting - you'll NEVER really know.

Sometimes you gotta jump through a couple of strange hoops when you're looking for a gig. It comes with the territory and it simply part of the game.

Thats how our band was formed. the front guy hosted a jam night. I ended up in the starting line up host band , and later that evolved into the guys backing band. His opinion is that he wants to see what you can do with your back up against the wall in a live situation. There is no formal band practice, everything has been live fire from day one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post

Thanks for the perspective. I can't make it last minute anyways. I have another audition set up tomorrow and have to go over some Jeff Beck, Stanley Clarke, and David Sanborn songs. It's also an hour drive each way.

I was just curious to see what others would say. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues View Post
I replied to an ad on craigslists about a month back for a cover band situation. The guy wrote me back that weekend and said he was holding auditions that Friday at some dive bar. I hear nothing for a month. Then this afternoon I get a mass e-mail from the guy saying auditions are still going on tonight at another dive bar. Now, I am familiar with the first bar because I played there a couple times with a previous band and it is the $300-400 type of place... probably pays less if bands will take it.

To me it seems like this guy is hosting open jams and calling them "auditions". He's obviously getting paid, while the people "auditioning" aren't.

Maybe it is just me, but it seems shaddy. Am I way off base here?
It is MAD shady, and no you're not way off base, you hit the nail on the head...let's examine the facts

1. He wants you to audtion at a dive bar

2. You emailed him back, then heard nothing for a month

3. A month later you get a mass email to "audition" at another dive bar

As you surmised, given just those 3 facts alone it seems pretty obvious that he;s obviously hosting open mics and needs bodies playing instruments to get paid, and wants to keep all themoney to himself...given everything else you posted I think it's blatantly obvious what this guy is trying to do. I'd suggest completely forgetting about having anything to do with this guy, as he obviously is just a scam artist.

There is no band, there is just showing up and playing to put money in HIS pocket.

• Members

I would probably ask him point-blank if he is looking for a permanent player, and what gigs he has lined up. Then show up and do a few songs with him at the open jam once. If he wants you to do it again, or play anything close to full sets then it's time to get paid. Couldn't hurt to do a few songs there once, though. Always the chance that someone else who needs a player might hear you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Yer Blues View Post
Thanks for the perspective. I can't make it last minute anyways. I have another audition set up tomorrow and have to go over some Jeff Beck, Stanley Clarke, and David Sanborn songs. It's also an hour drive each way.

I was just curious to see what others would say. Perhaps I am reading too much into it.

So if you get into this band, you

• Members

It sounds extreme stinky to me too.

At one point there was a new restaurant here in Palm Springs that was putting ads on craigslist for actual bands, trios, duos to come in and audition. He had nearly 5 nights a week booked with hopeful bands for months. Nobody was ever, to my knowledge, offered a house gig or a residency. He just paid the ones that he really liked a hundo to go around, and said they'd be in touch. I fell for it. One of my bands did it and put in two sets for a hundo. I'm certain he never intended to hire us from the get go. This season, he's gone. New name on the building and everything. 'bye.

Archived