Question for Bandleaders that handle booking

tim_7string

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chevybusa

View Post

Hey man. I could be wrong as from what you posted I'm unclear about the time frame, but it seems to me that he is "gig screening"...if you gavehim the notice you did and he doesn't respond but then all of the sudden the day of he's like "oh we're playing there tonight? FAntastic, I've always wanted to play there" it seems to me that he was holding out on you, he probably knew about the gig from the very get go the first time you communicated to him about it, but probably was hedging his bets, thinking that he was gonna be donig something else that night but then that fell through so he just pretended like he was on board all along, and just from what you wrote his story about not getting any of your messages is pure BS in my opinion.

It's certainly a possibility, but knowing him like I do, these are the facts:

He told me weeks ago that he had a 2-week vacation coming up.

I didn't write down when this was going to happen, assuming he would not want to play gigs during that vacation time. Obviously, I was wrong and I should have written it down. My mistake.

He recently transferred his number from the regular land line to a magicJack instead. I know this because the message system said it was magicJack. Since we tried using one for a while, I know how inconsistent they can be, therefore, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt about receiving messages on it. That does not excuse him from not looking at his cell phone. That is definitely on him.

I did talk to him about it at the gig. I told him that if he doesn't get a hold of me in time, I will use a sub and if that happens, I will not cancel him...and I'm sticking to that.

I take responsibility for the mess up. It isn't as cut and dried as it may seem. Like I said, sometimes this bandleader stuff is hard.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string

View Post

It's certainly a possibility, but knowing him like I do, these are the facts:

He told me weeks ago that he had a 2-week vacation coming up.

I didn't write down when this was going to happen, assuming he would not want to play gigs during that vacation time. Obviously, I was wrong and I should have written it down. My mistake.

He recently transferred his number from the regular land line to a magicJack instead. I know this because the message system said it was magicJack. Since we tried using one for a while, I know how inconsistent they can be, therefore, I have to give him the benefit of the doubt about receiving messages on it. That does not excuse him from not looking at his cell phone. That is definitely on him.

I did talk to him about it at the gig. I told him that if he doesn't get a hold of me in time, I will use a sub and if that happens, I will not cancel him...and I'm sticking to that.

I take responsibility for the mess up. It isn't as cut and dried as it may seem. Like I said, sometimes this bandleader stuff is hard.

Ah, OK, now I understand much more, like I said from what you wrote originally I was unclear on the time frame. I was really interested about the MagicJack, as I keep seeing the ads and think it's too good to be true, so I'm glad I never {censored}ed with it if it's inconsistent, hell I think I'm the only {censored}ing person in 2012 that doesn't have a cell phone (I had one about 6 years ago, it worked fine for a year, then started never having service, and worst of all wouldn't show calls or vms until THREE {censored}ING DAYS after someone called, so I cancelled it and never looked back, I was like {censored} paying for something that only works half the time!!! A big part of it is cuz of the area I live in, all the other carriers were just as bad, and STILL are, I had Verizon, and alll my buddies and famlilies that have something else, it's still just as bad...the thing is I have the Comcast Bundle for everything and it's {censored}ing KILLING me, it's way too {censored}ing expensive...

Anyways I understand about the vacation time, though I still think HE should have made it clear if he was available or not during that period when he told you...I can see how it's possible how he never got the messages, but I still think it's BS, if you had just called one or the other I could see, but BOTH? no way...not to mention the email, then he says he doesn't check it?

You're absolutely right that being a bandleader is hard, I was only the "de facto" leader a few times and yeah it can be a royal pain in the ass! Glad you talked to him about it at the gig, now from now on you won't have to worry about it, I think you handled it perfectly.

• Members

Late to the party but:

- Would have given it to the sub

- We do the google calendar thing too, but unfortunately not everyone keeps it current. Just found this out the hard way other day--was offered a gig, calendar was clear, said yes, bandmate says two hrs later oops forgot to update the calendar. Will be moving to a must-hear-from-you confirmation system.

Archived