Weird-feeling gig and the words that inspire you to do it

FitchFY

• Members

I got a surprising text message last night asking if I'd fill in for my old band on Friday, October 26th. The band was an original project I helped build up, and then we started doing covers on the side to make some cash. I left the band in 2010, and though we're all good friends and go check each other out and sit in now... it still feels a little weird to "play with them for a night."

I stated this to a very wise man on the Drum Forum, and he said the below to me, which I found incredibly inspirational. I wanted to share this with everyone who takes fill-ins, sub, or session gigs where sometimes we question some things. Many of us post about "playing with our old bands." I told him I'd make a benjamin out of it... here's his response.

Thanks to The Godfather! thumb.gif

Don't you dare do it for the money! It should never be about that. These are/were your mates. You spent time, broke bread and had fun together. THAT's the reason you play...cause you have fun together. It doesn't matter about the tunes, it doesn't matter about if it's your band, my band, cover, original...it's a time to go make some magic happen. If you don't want to play with them. that's one thing. But if you enjoy working some inspiration with them, then by all means, go out and have fun!
So play cause you love the bodies and the sound you all produce together. Play like you never will again, but never ,never, ever for the money of it! It won't buy you happiness take it from me. And you have no cause to feel weird...you spent an eon with these guys, make it like a high school reunion...see who's gotten fat and bald and who wear a toupe...LOL

• Moderators

I totally agree. I still get together with guys I started with in high school. I'm the youngest at 53. Though we make a little coin, that is by far the last reason we do it. We do it because we really love each other. Those nights are always special. Here's one of us recorded just out of high school that I recently remixed. Recorded 35 years ago! I love these guys...

• Moderators

I totally agree. I still get together with guys I started with in high school. I'm the youngest at 53. Though we make a little coin, that is by far the last reason we do it. We do it because we really love each other. Those nights are always special. Here's one of us recorded just out of high school that I recently remixed. Recorded 35 years ago! I love these guys...

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by New Trail

View Post

So, if playing 'for the money' is bad, which is better: to play a gig for the fun of it, or to play a gig for the fun of it AND get paid?

I don't think he was saying that playing for the money is bad. But when you're playing with old mates, there are more important things than the cash.

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by New Trail

View Post

So, if playing 'for the money' is bad, which is better: to play a gig for the fun of it, or to play a gig for the fun of it AND get paid?

I don't think he was saying that playing for the money is bad. But when you're playing with old mates, there are more important things than the cash.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Exactly. smile.gif Getting paid is never bad, but when it's your old friends, the deciding factor shouldn't be the money.

I mean, I'll gladly take it, but don't take the situation too literally -- his words are of encouragement of a long-forged friendship, and even though you may be hesitant, there's great things to come of it. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Exactly. smile.gif Getting paid is never bad, but when it's your old friends, the deciding factor shouldn't be the money.

I mean, I'll gladly take it, but don't take the situation too literally -- his words are of encouragement of a long-forged friendship, and even though you may be hesitant, there's great things to come of it. thumb.gif

• Members

Just did that last weekend after 30+ years of not playing together. It was the singer's 50th birthday and his brother (the drummer) drove out from Missouri to be there. We practiced for an hour, had a couple of brews, loaded up into three separate cars (just like the old days) and proceeded to rip it onstage for three hours in front of old friends and family. It fell together really well considering none of us had played some of those 80s tunes since the 80s.

No cash paid, but we all sacrificed a weekend with our families, jobs and friends to get it together one last time. It was a really nice experience (except for the load out and hauling the stuff up two flights of stairs at 3 am).

• Members

Just did that last weekend after 30+ years of not playing together. It was the singer's 50th birthday and his brother (the drummer) drove out from Missouri to be there. We practiced for an hour, had a couple of brews, loaded up into three separate cars (just like the old days) and proceeded to rip it onstage for three hours in front of old friends and family. It fell together really well considering none of us had played some of those 80s tunes since the 80s.

No cash paid, but we all sacrificed a weekend with our families, jobs and friends to get it together one last time. It was a really nice experience (except for the load out and hauling the stuff up two flights of stairs at 3 am).

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Milkman View Post
We had a massive falling out with our drummer that led to my first band breaking up. But we had some really cool tunes.

I would love to play a set with those guys again. Unfortunately only myself and the lead singer are still friends.
Things can change in a couple of years though...

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Milkman View Post
We had a massive falling out with our drummer that led to my first band breaking up. But we had some really cool tunes.

I would love to play a set with those guys again. Unfortunately only myself and the lead singer are still friends.
Things can change in a couple of years though...

Archived