gig report - downtown, T-giving night.

Ku'Yleh

• Members

I thought as I drove to the bar hat this was gonna be a sloooow night. The roads were dead, no one out at 8, and we go on at 9.

Got to the bar, a nice-ish downtown joint with a techno style club attached to a traditional bar.

Our first set fell on dead ears. The four people in the place could not have cared less what we were doing.

Mid way through the second set, a large group of GI's came in, and being a military town we greeted them enthusiastically.

By the end of the 2nd set we had them dancing and drinking.

Third set, we get a req to do a slow dance song for one of the guys who just got engaged.

We gave him the mic for a few so he could do his thing, then went into Wonderful Tonight, which was considerably slower than anything we had planned for the night but went over well.

Third and fourth sets saw more and more people showing up, and we ended on a high note with an epic rendition of Home Sweet Home.

Good night all around. Made an xtra 50 per person after the gig, cause we drew almost everyone away from the techno side, and maybe the owner felt generous. Either way, I aint complaining.

wave.gif

• Members

You've got to find a more interesting song than Wonderful Tonight for slow dancing. I can't even remember that song being fresh. (And I'm old enough that I should be able to.) We've taken to playing Louis Armstrong's Wonderful World. (Darrell does a great Louis Armstrong imitation. Sounds good in his own voice too.) You hear that song so rarely, that it's enjoyable.

• Members

Glad your gig worked out well for you guys! thumb.gif

Wonderful Tonight is one of those songs I would personally never play again in my life (having played it for well over 20+ years now), but people will often request it and even moreso, *expect* it at the end of the night, so I will usually just reserve it for that time now. I'd rather play something more rockin' like "Closing Time" or something mellower, but you gotta give the fans what they want. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ku'Yleh View Post
... but then we don't do slow dance songs in general...
Really? Our typical bar crowd covers the 25-45 demographic. While we don't do a lot of slow tunes - my experience has been that a slow tune (one, maybe two a set) will get guys who otherwise wouldn't get up to dance out on the floor (often dragged out there by one of the women at their table). Properly placed in the set list - and when followed up with a good fast tune - a slow tune often serves as a catalyst to get the dance floor going by drawing in folks who otherwise would never get up.

I can't tell you how many times we've played all sorts of what are usually can't miss tunes to a room full of folks who seemed glued to their chairs - only to have 'em jump up and pack the dance floor the first "belly rubber" we play.

I certainly wouldn't make slow tunes a big part of my setlist - but in my experience, a handful of 'em are great to have in the toolbox.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string View Post
Glad your gig worked out well for you guys! thumb.gif

Wonderful Tonight is one of those songs I would personally never play again in my life (having played it for well over 20+ years now), but people will often request it and even moreso, *expect* it at the end of the night, so I will usually just reserve it for that time now. I'd rather play something more rockin' like "Closing Time" or something mellower, but you gotta give the fans what they want. wink.gif
Couple of my thoughts. Slow songs are underrated. Every band should have at least two available for every set. (If the crowd doesn't need them, you don't have to play them.) There are some men that just won't dance to anything fast but will drag up their honey for a slow dance. (Ever notice that Latin men dance more and better than white guys? Maybe everybody else does.) Second thought is that the audience is pretty much open to suggestion. If we didn't know the song requested, we would suggest another song by the same artist. That was almost always a good thing. (It shows you appreciate their artist of choice.) Another friend of mine thinks that a request forgotten is not as bad as a request that the audience is told can't be done. I'm not into lying to anyone so that doesn't work for me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WynnD

View Post

You've got to find a more interesting song than Wonderful Tonight for slow dancing. I can't even remember that song being fresh. (And I'm old enough that I should be able to.) We've taken to playing Louis Armstrong's Wonderful World. (Darrell does a great Louis Armstrong imitation. Sounds good in his own voice too.) You hear that song so rarely, that it's enjoyable.

Yeah, cause "What a Wonderful World", that Louis Armstrong recorded in 1967, is SO MUCH "fresher" than "Wonderful Tonite", which was recorded in 1977.

Archived