Anyone Switch Their Facebook Page?

Potts

• Members

Has anyone changed their Facebook from a personal to band page RECENTLY? Recently is the key word. I've pretty much had it with people that I don't even know nor agree with politically or personally. I'd like to make it a band page. Will the people that currently see my feeds still get my gig updates? Is there anything I should know before hitting the "button"? Are there benefits to it being a band page? Is there a calendar, video player or music player?

Thanks! I'll hang up and listen.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
Has anyone changed their Facebook from a personal to band page RECENTLY? Recently is the key word. I've pretty much had it with people that I don't even know nor agree with politically or personally. I'd like to make it a band page. Will the people that currently see my feeds still get my gig updates? Is there anything I should know before hitting the "button"? Are there benefits to it being a band page? Is there a calendar, video player or music player?

If I were in your situation, I would just opt to not see those people's posts on my news feed. Yeah, it's a bit tedious, but then you won't have to block them or remove them as 'friends' and can still keep them as fans.

I'm still not sure how I feel about mixing together parents/close relatives, actual friends, people I know and complete strangers on my own 'personal' page. I sometimes feel like I should have one specifically for the people I know ONLY and another one for everybody else. icon_lol.gif Maybe call it "Tim Private" for family and friends and the other one would be the catch-all "Tim" page. I already have a band page for the group.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string

View Post

. I sometimes feel like I should have one specifically for the people I know ONLY and another one for everybody else. icon_lol.gif Maybe call it "Tim Private" for family and friends and the other one would be the catch-all "Tim" page. I already have a band page for the group.

I was thinking about that too Tim!

• Members

You should know that only 16% of the people who like your page will see your page's updates (gigs, etc.) in their news feeds. UNLESS you play to "promote" your posts - and then there is no guarantee that people will see them. I tried the promo thing for a video that we posted. According to facebook, over 2000 people saw the video but less than 10 of those people played it?????

My advice - have both a personal page and a band page. Promote on both to increase your chances. And have every band member promote on their pages as well.

• Members

Up until a month ago the only people on my personal page were people that I know,
I started adding people that I didn't to integrate them into my band page.
(this is annoying because much of my personal commentary revolves around what's happening in the neighborhood or town).

In terms of a calendar. No. There is an "Event" option (but that's not a calendar).
You can add apps but it's still a primitive time if you want to add apps that are integrated w/ each other and integrated w/ YOUR domain. In other words you will still have to enter information twice.
That's not the way they sell it to you though..... "They" promote the options and tools an artist has : as easy and diverse.
That's not the case. I wish I had kept notes (it took me a week of trial and error). I would get knee deep in something and discover I didn't like the way it worked, or it didn't do everything I wanted it to, or SOMETHING.....
I ended up using Reverbnation to host content on my page (but there are other sites that are way cooler).
I think in 20 years things will integrate better and we'll be laughing at how primitive the options were in 2012.

• Members

Last night, our bass player suggested that we start using Instgram in addition to having a website & facebook page. (it's like Twitter, but for mobile pics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram) We can instantly post pics that we take at gigs, post gig posters, etc.

So, I started an Instagram account and found a way to have our Instagram posts go to a special tab on our facebook page so those who "Like" our page but don't follow us on Instagrm can still see them. Judicious use of hashtags should also help reach new Instagram users (#pettinghendrix #petme #partyband #OCMD etc.). It seems a little spammy, since people who don't actively follow you will see your pics, but the people who use don't seem to mind the crapshoot. I guess we'll see what happens. idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
Last night, our bass player suggested that we start using Instgram in addition to having a website & facebook page. (it's like Twitter, but for mobile pics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram) We can instantly post pics that we take at gigs, post gig posters, etc.

So, I started an Instagram account and found a way to have our Instagram posts go to a special tab on our facebook page so those who "Like" our page but don't follow us on Instagrm can still see them. Judicious use of hashtags should also help reach new Instagram users (#pettinghendrix #petme #partyband #OCMD etc.). It seems a little spammy, since people who don't actively follow you will see your pics, but the people who use don't seem to mind the crapshoot. I guess we'll see what happens. idn_smilie.gif
Keep us posted on that. That sounds interesting.

• Members

I did it. I do not recommend switching your page over.

You can no longer interact with any of your fans (FB converts all you friends to Fans.) it's basically a one way communication..No messaging but they can post on your wall or respond to your announcements or events. It's very impersonal which in my opinion EXACTLY the opposite of what you want as an artist. Also, very little of your fans see your posts and if you want more to see them you have to PAY, yes pay $$ to "promote" your posts..It's complete and utter bull{censored}!..

Yes there are some ways to link your bandcamp, bandpage etc up so they can click and listen to your movies or see videos but so what? you can link to them or soundcloud from your personal page just as easy..All FB is doing with a musician page is being an aggregate for your content on other sites regardless.

So if I had to do it over, I wouldn't turn my personal page into a music page. I deleted my entire old profile and music page ( which was effectively 2 profiles since I had converted my FIRST personal profile into my music page!) and started a new personal profile. Then I created a music page under that profile and it's all linked up nice..I promoted my music page to my friends etc and those who care "liked" it. Now if I do anything with my musician hat on I put it out on my Musician page and share it with my personal page. This way it goes out to the maximum amount of people.

I hope that helps out man.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post

I deleted Instagram because in January they will begin selling your pictures without your permission, effectively turning their site into the worlds largest online stock photo library. Facebook of course bought them..Facebook are evil bastards to say the least! No..Instagram must be deleted lest your pictures end up in places you have no control over and will be no compensated for.

• Members

I was friends with a number of musicians that seriously marketed their stuff. Over time I pretty much unfriended all of them that were not "close" friends. Life's too short to bother with that stuff when, basically, you are just a number on their list.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi, Potts!

That's a good question and maybe not so simple. First, when people talk about Facebook they use terms which might be confusing and cause some misunderstanding of the question that may get you answers for the wrong question.

In this case "switching a Facebook page" can mean different things. There are three different things in FB that people often call by the same name - "Page". Their functionality and their intended use are different and mixing them up will lead to problems down the road. There are:
1. Personal Profile - intended for individuals for personal use, you connect with your family, real friends, you need to approve the Friends, you control privacy, only FB users can see it
2. Facebook Page / Fan Page / Like Page - intended for businesses, artists, bands, personalities, organizations, you connect with "the public", people "Like" the page freely without approval needed by you, everything viewable by the public and on the Web without having to have a FB account (important!), FB provides some visitor statistics, functionality can be enhanced by web programming
3. Group - intended for community or special interest groups, privacy can be controlled to invite/approve only to open (Secret, Closed or Open), only FB users can access it

These three also vary in ways one can communicate with followers/Friends/Subscribers in how easily or not is to message everyone. There are many differences and unfortunately FB doesn't make them clear, until you are already committed to a choice. Another problem is that FB changes rules and functionality when they feel like it and we're stuck. But, we need to use FB because a lot of people use it and it's free - we don't want to spend hundreds or thousands for a website with similar functionality.

A lot of people create a Personal Profile for a Band or Business or use their own profile for promoting the ban because they didn't know about Pages and can't foresee problems - like you said, having strange people in your profile with which you don't agree, etc

The best use is having a Personal Profile only for personal/family/real friend use and creating a Page for the band. You promote your Band Page to your Friends and they "Like" it if they want, and you promote your Page to the public at gigs, on flyers, etc. You want to keep Personal and Business separate, you don't want the public seeing your personal photos and posts and you may not want your extended family to see what goes on at the bars you play. :-)

The term "switch" can mean creating and using a new Page for Band stuff and prompting the strangers on your Profile to "Like" the new page so you can start phasing them out of your Profile. "Switch" can be also taken to mean having Facebook move all your content and Friends from your Personal Profile to a new Page and deleting the Personal Profile. I think that is what sventvkg was talking about.

In your case you probably want to create a new Page for the band and invite your Friends in your Personal Profile to "Like"" that Page. As people who are not "real" friends Like the new Page you can "Unfriend" them and cleanup your Profile. This will take time and requires continuous prompting of Friends to Like the Band Page so you can move them over. If one also has a business, we would create a second Page for the business.

Anyway, there are a lot of details regarding functionality, best uses, marketing strategies that play into this, but I hope this helps.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by WaterMoc View Post
is thete a way to have just a band business page without a personal acct? I never wanted to be on fb at all but did it for the band.
You need to create a Personal Account first to create Pages. However, you can leave your Personal account largely unused. Just enter the minimum email, name, birth date and don't complete more info or upload anything. You can set the Privacy in a way that no one knows you have an account and you can avoid Friend Requests or messages. So, you login with the personal account and update your Band page. Post you make will be under the Page name, not your personal name unless you want to.
HTH

Archived