Stage Plot Software?

• Members

Do mean like a stage plot to give to a venue? You could uee excel or powerpoint and use shapes for mics, amps, drums, etc.

Yeah, I have one I made up in Word using shapes. I was just wondering if there was something out there that was specific and maybe look better/cooler than what I can do.

• Members

THIS...

Here's what I use:

I've seen that free stageplots tool before.

It looks like something a grade-school kid would make.

IMO, clip art does not look pro OR cool.

Also, simple basic block shapes, etc. are easier to understand on the fly than images.

Guido-

I do mine using Excel - it's way easier to create and manipulate shapes and Word-Art text in Excel than to move shapes around the text in Word (At least it is for me: I tried to build a plot in Word before, but it's a PITA to do a simple one).

• Members

Kmart, you have a template you can share? Do you set the row/column sizes to be square like graph paper?

Google Docs is blocked by the work network, so I can't upload anything.

When using Excel, I do not format the actual cells for shapes, etc.; that takes too much time/is not easy. I use the Insert/Shapes menu to place shapes (rectangles for amps, circles for drums/cymbals, trapezoids for wedges, etc.) on/over the cells. It's just easier to move/manipulate shapes without affecting everything else on the page in Excel than Word (for me).

If I get a chance tonight I'll try to upload something from home.

• Members

I couldn't care less how cool it looks. I just want it to be functional, and for me it is. I have far better things to spend my time on that concerning myself with how visually appealing my stage plot is.

Functional for WHOM?

The assumption would be that the stage plot is for someone who is not familiar with your band. That will be, in most cases, a sound engineer/house FOH guy, etc.

My experience working production at venues from 200-2k capacity, and for a sound/backline company that provided PA for up to 10k crowds, is that a clean & simple block shape plot with simple text is what's standard AND what's preferred (and most functional).

Something with the clip-art like on freestageplots would likely be laughed at, and probably completely ignored.

YMMV, and if it has worked for you thus far, there's no reason to stop. I'm just saying it looks like a grade-school art project look AND would be perceived by many to whom it should matter, as unprofessional & useless.

• Members

Granted I rarely need a stage plot. We usually play the bar/club circuit where no stage plots are needed, and when we do do larger gigs (Earth Day festivals, Street dances ect....) the stuff at free stage plots looks a lot better and is easier to read than the hand drawn and scribbled stage plots on notebook paper that most bands hand in. I just don't see any point in spending any time worrying about how "cool" something like that is.

• Members

Well that didn't work very well...

I uploaded 2 different Excel versions to Google docs and the items on the 'page' shifted all over/got distorted & moved, so in essence, not very useful for viewing...

I believe if you download them, they'll appear as intended, though.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3kfd4jybO2fMmIxODAyZWYtY2FiNS00OWVlLTk0NmYtOTc2MzlmZWJjMzI4&hl=en_US

Here's an old version I made for a previous band in Word:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B3kfd4jybO2fNjQ3ZGY5ZmMtZmVkZi00MDg0LWE5NDMtYWIyZGM2YzI2NzAx&hl=en_US

• Members

I don't have to provide stage plot information all that often since we usually use our own PA. However, when I am asked to provide it - I give 'em two documents. One is a simple diagram I put together using Powerpoint - the other is a input list that I created in Excell.

Note that the "Connection Location" information included on the Input List document refers to where the connection is made when I'm using my PA (which uses two small 6 channel drop boxes - one placed at the front of the stage for "front line" connections and one place at the rear of the stage for "back line" connections.)

It's enough to give any sound company a pretty good idea of how we like to set up and what we typically use for microphones and inputs.

Stage Plot Diagram

Input List

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I'm sure Publisher would be fine. I did this one in Photoshop. It's more usable and more accurate than the one I did last year in one of those fancy programs. Pictures aren't really necessary but I figure WTH, I like pictures. Like Norman, I do my input lists in a spreadsheet. I also use a spreadsheet for set lists. That helps me get the sent length correct.

BTW don't copy my Leslie setup. Lower rotor bleed is excessive. I have to rethink my setup.

958c80ada273db9efbb6959ed5bbbd74.jpg.f0e43c323395f88a8f594eb670858ca5.jpg

Archived