Another bar lowers it's price

vort

• Members

Just adding to the recent threads, received an email today from a bar we had booked with a guarantee amount, saying they would give us $100 less.  Claimed our attendence last time was disappointing.  Never mind it was Easter weekend (our mistake since we didn't know that when booking).  Also never mind that at the time they said they had loved us.  Our attendance was less than the first time we played the place.  It's frustrating that they give you good feedback, and then stab you in the back....

We have one more bar gig for the year scheduled so far, and the rest of the year is private parties, weddings, or municipal events.  All of which are more money, more fun, and the audience/organizers are much more appreciative.  I just hope we can keep the ball rolling on that front. 

I'm from the same area as Kramerguy, and I just want to back up his observations on live music in this area.  Either your full time with an agency, you do private/municipal events, or you slog it out in bars that don't want to pay anything and expect the band to do all the work.  Acoustic acts and DJing is the easiest way to make money because your overhead is low.

One other point while I'm ranting...  there is a huge divide in the way an organizer for an event views live music vs a bar.  An organizer see's the band as entertainment for their crowd (the way it should be, imho).  Bar owners expect bodies in the door.  I know this has been hashed and rehashed on this forum, but thanks for allowing me to vent...

• Members

a bar owner just did that to us. His reasoning is he just installed a PA system. So less stuff to ste up for teh bands.

I am all for EZ set up but this was NOT the deal when we booked the shows. Luck for us we just played our last show we had booked recently. Not sure if we want to go back for $100 less.

Its a decent place but I didn't like being docked $100 (a few days before the show) cuz HE wanted a system in there. Our system is good and sets up in around 20 minutes.

• Members

Tell the bar that you are not a national act like Scorpions with fans that drive from other states to see you. That is why you agreed to the pre-agreed lower price than what Scorpions would charge, not $100 less.

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

a bar owner just did that to us. His reasoning is he just installed a PA system. So less stuff to ste up for teh bands.

I am all for EZ set up but this was NOT the deal when we booked the shows. Luck for us we just played our last show we had booked recently. Not sure if we want to go back for $100 less.

Its a decent place but I didn't like being docked $100 (a few days before the show) cuz HE wanted a system in there. Our system is good and sets up in around 20 minutes.

That's bull{censored}. It was his choice to install the PA system. Not your problem. The right thing to do would have been to give you the choice to book further gigs for that rate, but anything currently on the books should have been left alone.

• Members

vort wrote:

One other point while I'm ranting...  there is a huge divide in the way an organizer for an event views live music vs a bar.  An organizer see's the band as entertainment for their crowd (the way it should be, imho).  Bar owners expect bodies in the door.

Yep.  Two other main differences (or another way to put them, at least):

1) bars are all about making money.  Private events are (usually) about spending money.   The bar owner is only going to view your "performance" in terms of how much revenue it helped to generate for his business.   The private event organizer is simply going to look at it in terms of "I spent XXXX for the band.  Did I get my money's worth in terms of entertainment value for my client?"

2) Because of #1, bar owners are always going to be in comparison-mode.   How much money did he make on the night you played compared to the last time you played?  Compared to the band that played last night or week?   etc etc.  Private events, usually being one-off events, have nothing to compare it to really.  The band either did great and the audience had a great time at that one event or they didn't.  You don't really have to worry about being better than you were the last time or the last gig.  

• Members

I doubt we are going back. although we lost a room cuz of noise complaints/fines we just picked up a very good room to play. I don't think we will need the room that docked us $100 cuz we only needed half our stuff.

• Members

jeff42 wrote:

Then there's the owners thought about what a good sound system is vs what you know works. My small system is nearly $5000 plus the mics. We know it works well.

• Members

I've had three new-to-us venues inquire as to our price recently. None of them wanted to book us after I told it to them.

We are seriously talking about cutting our fee. Apparently, we're not worth what we were a year ago. :smiley-angry019:

• Members

mstreck wrote:

If you need to pay for a booth, why not just have a table with a PC monitor playing a kick-ass promo video along with a bunch of one sheets and lots of business cards?

this is what I was planning to do with my last band. No one wanted to help or pay to get it done though. 

• Members

mstreck wrote:

If you need to pay for a booth, why not just have a table with a PC monitor playing a kick-ass promo video along with a bunch of one sheets and lots of business cards?

Yeah that would be simpler...but we thought not as eye catching or attractive as actually performing...

• Members

mstreck wrote:

And display a speaker and instrument or two in the booth to help catch their eye from across the walkway.

Archived