So we got the question...

mstreck

• Members

I've been talking to a booker at a new venue. We spoke at length this afternoon and he said he did some research on us, talked to our current venues, and heard good things about us. When it came to price, I gave them our usual but then agreed to $100 less than what we would normally ask knoiwing they don't have much of a budget (with previous permission from the rest of the band). The booker spoke to the owner and has since sent me a message that the owner wants to know how much the price would be if they don't have a good night. facepalm.gif

Trying to choose my words carefully...

• Members

That's rough - why would he even suppose that your price would vary depending on whether he has a good night or not.....

The brewery going to sell him booze cheaper cos he didn't have a good night?

More to the point - what is he doing to promote his venue and your show at his venue to ensure he has a good night?

Questions,questions,questions...........

• Members

mstreck wrote:

I've been talking to a booker at a new venue. We spoke at length this afternoon and he said he did some research on us, talked to our current venues, and heard good things about us. When it came to price, I gave them our usual but then agreed to $100 less than what we would normally ask knoiwing they don't have much of a budget (with previous permission from the rest of the band). The booker spoke to the owner and has since sent me a message that the owner wants to know how much the price would be if they don't have a good night. 
facepalm.gif

Basically just tell him that you put in the same amount of time and effort, and provide the same service whether or not he has a good night, so that's the fee under all circumstances. For the sake of all of us out there, don't cave in every time a bar owner asks you to take a cut. Every time it happens, it emboldens these ?ssholes to keep doing it.

• Members

stratotastic wrote:

Basically just tell him that you put in the same amount of time and effort, and 
provide the same service 
whether or not he has a good night, so that's the fee under all circumstances.
For the sake of all of us out there, don't cave in every time a bar owner asks you to take a cut. Every time it happens, it emboldens these 
?ssholes
 to keep doing it.

Haha! That won't happen.

On the plus side, we had a venue in OC send us contact info this morning - they already have a good built-in crowd. thumb.gif

• Members

mstreck wrote:

The booker spoke to the owner and has since sent me a message that the owner wants to know how much the price would be if they don't have a good night. 
facepalm.gif

You might mention that if they're trying to book the cheapest entertainment possible, there are plenty of bands out there that will play for $200.   Heck, they might even find someone who will pay for free.

Of course, as we all know, where bands are concerned, a bar usually gets what it pays for.   A $200 band  probably won't be particularly professional or know how to hold a crowd.  In fact, a bad band can easily end up costing the club more than the money they're saving by running customers off and turning what could have been a good night into a bad night.

You might also mention that your role as a band is that of an entertainment provider:  you keep customers entertained and engaged, so they'll want to stick around and spend more money.   The band obviously can't offer any guarantees as to whether the club will have a good night or a bad night;  there are simply too many external factors that come into play, most of which you have absolutely no control over.

However, you can assure them that the band expects to entertain every customer who walks through the door.   It's the band's job to ensure that when a customer walks in, they'll want to stick around for a while....and the longer they stick around, the more money they spend.

PH is a professional band that provides a professional product;  the owner simply has to decide whether he's willing to pay for a professional outfit, or if he'd rather go with a cheaper band that may or may not have their **** together.

Archived