Anyone using a UPS on stage?

mstreck

• Members

If we lose power for whatever reason, I'm stuck waiting for a keyboard to reboot and our Blizzard fab5s also need to be reset. I was going to grab a couple of small UPS units from Best Buy as a preventative measure. Any reason we shouldn't use them for this?

Thanks!

Mike

• Members

I can see them for the keyboards. Keyboards don't draw much power. (B3 excepted.) Don't know about the other item. Some people are using them for their DriveRack units. (Very good idea.)

• Members

Yes, I use a APC Smart-UPS SC 450VA for my keyboard rack.   1 rack space and weighs about 20 lbs.   More than enough juice to run all my stuff. 

With the slow load up time of my boards (about 2 min each) and just the general concern I have about spotty power in some of the venues we play, I'd be afraid to not use it.   It's nice knowing that if we blow a breaker or the power dips/go out for whatever reason, that my stuff stays on.

I wouldn't bother with one for traditional analog gear---never needed one in all these years, can't see really needing one now---but for computer based digital gear, I think they are a good measure of safety.   

Archived